Invasion
Chapter 11

Copyright© 2012 by 2 flags

They made a very impressive sight when they arrived at the inn. Tom, Tony and Paul were all dressed in their finery, and were riding large impressive horses. They were flanked by out-riders, fitted out in their green livery. Alongside them were Janice and the other Angels, also riding fine looking horses. The column stretched out behind them, each man and woman armed and well drilled. They moved into the area behind the inn and set up camp. It was done quickly and efficiently.

The innkeeper came out to see them. She was a large belligerent looking woman.

"Yes, Sirs. How may I help you?" she said, worriedly.

"Hello, again," Tom replied.

"I don't think we have met before, have we?" she asked concerned.

"The last time we were here, there was some trouble with two men who tried to rape one of our companions. We dealt with them ... permanently," Tom told her.

"Ah, yes! I remember, now. Well, Sirs, what can I do for you?" she asked.

"As you can see we have a lot of hungry, thirsty people here. I would be grateful if food and ale could be provided and hot baths for the women as well. In fact, I suspect that a lot of the men would like a bath too, I know I would. Also I may wish to book a room or two until some friends turn up, they are expected any time. Now tell me, what is your name?"

"It's Safia, Sir," she replied.

Tom pulled out a large bag and shook it, so that she could hear that it was full of money, and said, "Well then, Safia, as you can see we have the means. We are willing to pay for any and all services provided."

The woman's face lit up as she replied, "Yes, Sir! Right away, Sir. I'll get some food on the go, straight away; and there's plenty of ale on tap. I'll get my girls to start boiling the water for your baths, Sir."

The woman scurried away shouting at her staff. Some of the other patrons came out to look at the newcomers, to see what all the fuss was about. They were amazed at the size of the party, and the fact that they were so disciplined.

Tom noticed some of the locals scurrying off somewhere, probably to tell the local leaders that they had arrived. One of the locals came over towards him, just as Captain Simon came up and saluted.

"The camp is secured, your Majesty, and ready for inspection."

"Thank you, Captain. I'll be over to inspect the men, shortly. The innkeeper is getting some water ready for baths. She is also preparing some food. Let the women, and all those not on guard duty, know. Tell the men to moderate their drinking. I'll not tolerate any drunkenness."

"Yes, Sir. I'll let them know," Captain Simon said. He saluted again, and smartly marched away.

The man approached Tom and said, "Excuse me ... Um, he called you: your Majesty. That would make you a King, but, just exactly what are you King of?"

"I am King of the Hunter People, Small Cove, and the territory in between. I am also Lord of the Medethi People. I am expecting some of them to join us soon. Tell me, how are things here in Bridgetown?"

"Well, um, Your Majesty, things at the moment are, in a word, shit! We have refugees coming in from the countryside, and nobody seems to know what to do. The merchant council says it's not their responsibility, and the poor buggers are just left to fend for themselves. Crime has gone through the roof, and the reports coming in are growing more and more frightening by the day. People are really scared. We just don't know what to do," the man told him.

"Hasn't anyone tried to find work, or even just feeding these people?" Tom asked "What about training a guard or raising a militia? How about building defences?"

"Well, some did, but then the merchants started complaining about the cost, and arguing about who was going to pay for it all, and how the cost should be shared," the man told him.

"Bloody typical! Small minded, short sighted, mean spirited folk, more concerned with their pocket book than the welfare of their fellow man! Well, it's just as well we're here now isn't it?" Tom said. "The first thing is to get these people fed, and then we must see that they have something to do. Next we have to arrange housing for them. Tell me, who owns the biggest warehouse in Bridgetown? Also, who has the most food stored? Tell me, also, just what is this merchant's council?"

The man stood there with his mouth open. "Well, uh ... Sire. Umm, the biggest is owned by Branrith. He likes to think of himself as the leader of this town, just because he's the richest man here. Garth probably has the most food stored. Those two, plus Sirius, and Poltrak make up the council. Between them they seem to run things around here. They pay for the town guard, but for the most part they just look after the interests of the merchants."

Tom looked around him. He saw Tony coming over towards him.

"Sir Tony," he called. "I will need the King's bodyguard in full marching order. We have to go into town and organise feeding of the refugees. I will need Lord Paul to set up his hospital, and prepare the Angels to start treating the sick. We will need to start planning the town's defences and we will be recruiting a militia. Things here are just as desperate as we feared. Assemble the guard. We are going in, right now!"

Tony walked over. The man's eyes just grew wider.

"Excuse me," the man said, "but would you be the Sir Tony, the hero of Gronhinne that the bards sing about, would you?"

"Well, I was there a little while ago, and we did upset the plans of the slavers. I hear that they have given that area up as a bad lot, and their troops don't exactly consider it a favourable posting any longer," he said.

The man got quite excited at this news. "Well then, maybe we might just have a chance, now. We've been demanding that the council take action, but they have just been sitting in their fancy houses, watching all we have built over the years just turn to rat shit!" he said.

"Your Majesty." Tony said to Tom "The men are hungry and tired. They must at least eat, and so must you. We all need to eat and get cleaned up before we go into the town. Remember, we'll only make first impressions once. We need to be at our best."

"Yes, you're right. Very well. See to the men. We'll go first thing in the morning." said Tom "But get that feeding station set up. If anyone turns up here, then I want them fed: man, woman or child. Oh, and I still want the hospital up and running by nightfall."

"Very good, Sire," said Tony.

Tom turned to the man and asked, "Well, Sir, you know who I am; so tell me, whom do I have the pleasure of speaking to?"

The man blushed slightly, "My name is Joshua. I'm a cloth merchant. I'm only a minor merchant so the council don't see any reason to listen to me, but I've been telling them for months that they need to take action, but all I get is: 'the cost, the cost.'"

"It seems that we've arrived in the nick of time. Oh, and don't worry about the cost, I'm sure we will work something out between us," said Tom. "We'll probably be buying an awful lot of cloth before this is over, so you won't be such a minor merchant by the time we're finished. Tell me, do you happen to have some kind of heavy canvas in stock? You know, the sort of thing needed to make tents from?"

"Why, yes Sire, I do. How much will you need?" Joshua asked

"Well, that depends on how many refugees turn up, now doesn't it? Now, if you know any that need feeding, and are willing to work for it, just send them along to me. Just tell them that King Tom needs them."

"I will do that, your Majesty, I most certainly will!"

He went back over to talk to his friends, who, one by one went off to various parts of the town. Paul came over to him.

"I hear you want the hospital up and running. Do you want it set up here?"

"Yes, I've put the word out. We will feed and treat all those who turn up, here. I expect quite an influx, so I want everyone to be prepared," Tom said.

"Ahh. Well, I'll get it sorted."

"Thanks, mate," said Tom.

"No probs," Paul replied.

After about an hour a stream of people started arriving. Some of them were looking really destitute. They were dressed in rags, with hollow faces and sunken eyes. Captain Simon had the guard direct them to the tents where the food had been prepared. Tom addressed them.

"My friends," he called out, "some of you have already faced the menace that threatens to engulf us all. We have defeated them at Small Cove, and at Battle Valley. I am King Tom. King of the Hunter People, Small Cove and all the lands between. Also I am Lord of the Medethi People. We have been here before. We defeated these animals last year when they tried to enslave some of our friends. I have with me Lord Paul, Lord of the Hunter People and of the Angels. Also, here, is Sir Tony. Some of you will have heard the bards sing of his exploits at a place called Gronhinne. Accompanying us are some of the Angels, who will do what they can to cure you of your ills. For our protection we have the Kings Bodyguard, drawn from the very best of the people of Small Cove and of the Hunter Peoples. We will soon be joined by the Medethi People. They will add to our strength. We do, however need builders, carpenters, blacksmiths and labourers. Those who wish, can also apply to join the militia that will be formed. Remember, you have run, once ... maybe more. This time you will be given the chance to fight back! It's up to you. Do you wish to live free, or are you willing to live as slaves?"

"FREE! FREE! FREE!" they all screamed.

"Very well! Are you willing to work? Are you willing to fight?" asked Tom.

"WE'LL FIGHT!" they shouted back.

"Very well! Eat, now. Tomorrow we start to defend this town. We will start work on the defences, and we start training the militia. Don't think it'll be easy, for I can promise you it won't be. Eat well, for tomorrow the hard work begins!" he told them.

As he left the tent he saw a group of men approach the camp. One of them was being carried in a sedan chair.

Captain Simon saw them at the same time, and he shouted, "King's bodyguard, to me, at the double!"

At once twenty guards formed up. They marched up to where Tom was standing. The group of men stopped and looked at the guards. The man in the sedan chair ordered it to be lowered. He stepped out of the chair and moved forward. He was quite fat, and very finely dressed.

"Well I must say I'm impressed with your toy soldiers" the man said sneeringly. "Now tell me, what are you doing my town and how long do you intend to stay?"

"It seems that I'm doing the job you have so obviously failed at! Namely, I am caring for the people here who need help. I am preparing the defences against those who would take away the very things you and everyone else has worked so hard to build, here. As to who I am, I am King Tom. King of the Hunter People, Small Cove and all the territories between. I am also Lord of the Medethi People. As to how long I intend to stay, well I'll be here for as long as it takes to rid this land of the scourge of slavery and all it entails. As to this being your town ... I think the people here would have something to say about that, don't you? Now to whom do I have the misfortune to be addressing?"

The man bristled at this, saying, "I am Branrith. I am the leader of the merchant's council. We run this town, and we will not be told what to do by so jumped up popinjay like you. King indeed! Ha! You're no more King than I am. What are you? Some jumped up bandit who has seen his chance and taken it? Well, I don't begrudge you your chance, but I'm afraid you've overstepped the mark here. We don't want you, and we don't need you. So just pack up your toys and crawl back under whatever rock you've crawled out of."

"I see your level of courtesy matches your level of compassion. You are no longer ruler of this town. You have just shown yourself to be a vain, selfish, ignorant bigot," Tom told him.

By now a large number of the refugees had come out of the tent to see what was happening.

"I think we should let the people decide who rules them," Tom continued. "I think that is only fair."

Turning to the crowd he said "Well, now! All those who wish Branrith and his merchants' council to continue to run this town, please go and stand by him."

No one moved.

"Now all of those who wish to be part of my Kingdom, and be ruled with honour, compassion and fairness, go stand by Captain Simon." Slowly the crowd moved towards the Captain. "Now, then; I think that settles it, don't you. I'll stop by tomorrow and collect the tax ledgers, and see to the state of the finances of the town."

Branrith screamed out, "You'll do no such thing! This is my town, and I've told you to leave! You have until tomorrow, or I'll set the guard on you! If you try to enter the town, I'll have you killed!"

"You don't get it do you?" said Tom. "You no longer have any authority in the town. Your greed and ineptitude has robbed you of your power. If you make any more threats towards either me, or to my lawful delegates, then I'll have you arrested for treason (That's a hanging offence, by the way.); unless, of course, you'd like to try and stop me yourself. If you lose, though, I'll take everything you own: lock, stock and barrel. It's your choice."

An evil gleam came into Branrith's eyes.

"What if I were to nominate a champion? Would you settle for that?"

"What, your champion against my champion?" asked Tom.

He could see the man thinking for a moment, "Yes, if you don't wish to face him yourself, then I suppose it will have be so."

Tom smiled. "You, who would not wish to face either me or my champion, would willingly put another man's life at risk. Yet still you try to goad me into something stupid. You really are the lowest of the low, aren't you? Very well, your champion against mine. Winner take all."

Immediately Simon, Rolof and several others stepped forward to have the honour of being the King's champion. Tom smiled and thanked them, then motioned for Tony to step forward.

"I, Sir Tony of Gronhinne, accept the challenge. Have your champion here by morning. Fail to show up, and your life is forfeit. Have no fear, though, for I always collect debts of honour."

The man went white. He had heard of Sir Tony. Several of his thugs looked at each other in panic. One very large man looked daggers at him. Tony guessed this was the champion. Tony looked directly at the man and nodded to him.

"Until tomorrow, then," said Tony. Looking at the large man he said, "Make sure you kiss your wife and children tonight. Tomorrow they'll be at your funeral."

He turned and walked away.

The rest of the day Tony spent practising his forms. Several of the newcomers watched, amazed at his swordsmanship.

Paul and the Angels spent the day treating the people who had arrived. They spent most of the time bathing them, and getting their relatives to wash their clothes. Boils were lanced, and rashes soothed; but sometimes more serious complaints were treated. It was getting late in the day when an emergency was brought in. A man was in agony with stomach pains. Paul did a quick examination, and was certain the man was suffering from appendicitis. He would need to operate. He explained the situation to both the man and his family, as the man had a wife and three young children.

"You have a swollen appendix. If I do nothing, then you will die. It will burst and poison will spread throughout your body, and you'll be dead within two to three days. However, if I operate there is a good chance you will live. I will not lie to you. The operation is one of great risk. You may die from infection, anyway. I have a new method of putting you to sleep, during the operation. You won't feel anything during the operation. When you wake up, however, it will hurt," he said to them.

Paul looked into their eyes as they agreed to the operation, and felt a level of responsibility he had never felt before. Janice and Eviaria came over to him.

Janice said, "We are ready to assist in this operation, my Lord."

She looked into his eyes. Paul nodded and he told the man to undress as the girls washed him down and prepared the anaesthetic. The cloth was prepared, and placed upon the man's face. Eviaria held the breathing bag that Paul and Tony had devised. She checked to insure he continued breathing, and also to make sure he remained asleep during the operation.

Paul made the incision and cut into the man's abdomen. He found the swollen appendix, and successfully cut it out, and tied it off. He stitched up the wound and slowly allowed the man to wake. As he awoke, Paul had a draft of poppy tea ready. The operation had taken about half an hour; but for Paul, it being his first appendicitis, it seemed like a lifetime.

"How are you feeling?" Paul asked the man.

"Terrible," he replied, "but I'm sure I'll get better. Thank you so much. You and your Angels really do work miracles."

"You should start feeling better in a few days. You'll need to stay in bed until then. I'll pop round and see how you're getting on, tomorrow."

Later that night, a frightened woman was made her way into the camp. As she approached one of the guards challenged her.

"Halt! Who goes there?" he called out.

Nervously the woman stopped and said, "I wish to speak to the King. It's about my husband. He's Branrith's champion."

The guard thought about it for a minute, and then took the woman to see Captain Simon.

"What do you want?" Captain Simon asked her. "Why do you wish to see the King?"

"Well, Sir," she began, "My husband is due to fight your champion in the morning. It's just, well, he's a good man! He doesn't deserve to die for that bastard Branrith."

"What's your name?" Simon asked

"Loritia, Sir," she replied.

"Very well, Loritia, come with me," he said, and took her to see Tom.

Captain Simon saw Tom looking out over the town, deep in thought. He cleared his throat.

"Excuse me for interrupting you, Sire; but there is a lady, here, who wishes to speak with you," Captain Simon said.

Tom turned and saw a woman standing before him. She was visibly shaking with fear, and the tears were running down her face.

"Yes, my dear, how can we help you?" he asked kindly.

This caused the tears to flow even faster as she tried to speak between sobs.

"It's my husband, Charleth. He's Branrith's champion."

Instantly a frown came over Tom's face "Yes, and what of it?" he asked in a much less friendly tone now.

"I was wondering," she sobbed, "if there was any way I could plead for his life. He's not a badman! He only works for Branrith, because he owes a debt of honour. When the slavers were here the last time, they captured me and our children. Charleth went to see Branrith to see if he could do anything to get us back. Branrith managed to get our release, but Charleth now has to work for him. He hates it most of the time, but what else can he do? He always tries to treat people fairly, and sometimes warns them if Branrith is after them. He's an honourable man, Sir, who only does this to protect his family. Please, I beg of you, spare the life of my husband!"

Tom looked at the woman and said, "It has taken a great deal of courage for you to come here, tonight. I take it your husband does not know you are here?"

She hung her head and replied, "No, Sire, he does not."

"Very well. Return to him now, and spend what may be your last night, together. I cannot promise anything; but if it is possible, I will try to find a way to spare him. Not for his sake, but for yours. You must love him very much, to have come here, tonight. I cannot believe that a badman could engender such love. That deserves some reward in and of itself."

Loritia fell to her knees as she said, "Thank you, Sire! Thank you so much!"

"Do not thank me, now. Wait until the morning. You may still lose your husband. Go. Make your last night together memorable," he told her.

Loritia left feeling a little happier, as Simon looked at Tom.

"That was a fine thing you did, Sire. But how are you going to stop Sir Tony from killing him? I don't think anyone on the planet would stand a chance against him."

"Nor do I, but I must speak to Sir Tony. I will tell him of our conversation, and see if he has any ideas."

Tom wandered off to find Tony. He found him sitting quietly, looking out over the river. He told him of his conversation with Loritia, and asked what he thought.

"Well, if this Branrith knew of the slavers before, and had dealings with them before, I'm wondering several things. One, why did they just stand by when you defeated them last time? And two, why have they done nothing to protect the town from them?" asked Tony.

"I think the first one is easy, they didn't expect us to win. They expected Orleck to just walk all over us. When we won, they didn't wish to show their hand, so they just let things play out as they will. The other thing is, they could be in league with the slavers. That Branrith doesn't seem the sharpest knife in the draw. I think there is a force behind the throne. I don't think that he could have organised this himself. The reason no effort has been made to defend this place, is that they are just waiting for the slavers to arrive. We're going to have to be careful here, I've got a feeling we're going to be up against more than just slavers. I think someone in this town is waiting for them to arrive. I think that that someone wants to take over," said Tom.

"Hmm. You may be right. Someone, who up 'till now had kept to the shadows ... or had been forced to keep to the shadows? Anyway, that's for another day. For now I'm just going to concentrate on tomorrow. Thanks by the way for giving me an advantage over Charleth tomorrow," Tony said.

Tom looked puzzled and said, "How have I done that?"

"You told Loritia to spend what could be her last night, with her husband. She is going to shag him senseless. By morning he's going to be knackered," Tony told him.

They both laughed at this.

"What do you think of fighting 'till one of you yields, rather than fighting to the death?" Tom asked.

"Well, I don't have a problem with that, though I think that Branrith might. But then, it's not his life on the line, is it?" Tony replied. "Anyway, I'm going to get some rest, I want to be at my best in the morning."

"Okay, mate, I'll see you in the morning," Tom said.

The following morning was cold, but clear. The autumn sunshine lit up the surrounding countryside, showing the wonderfully changing colours of the leaves.

"It's a beautiful day," said Tony.

As they made their way to the field where the contest was to occur, Alicia came up to him. She stood shyly in front of him, and gave him a flower.

"I ... I just wanted to give you this, as ... as a good luck token. I'm sure you won't need it, but I'd like you to have it, anyway," she said.

She then leaned forward and gave him a kiss; then she blushed, and ran away.

"I think you have a fan, there. She really cares for you," said Tom.

Tony looked at him and said, "She's a child. A pretty child, I'll grant you; but none the less, a child. I have a woman. I have Silvi. I have never found a woman who can move me like she can. Maybe one exists, but I have yet to find her."

"I know what you mean, when I think of Pam, I cannot think of anyone I'd rather be with. I really wish she were here with me now. I could use her advice. I'm sure that sometimes I'm making a complete hash of things, where as she would know what to do or say. God, I do miss her," Tom said.

Paul and Janice came over, carrying Martha. She still refused to be left for very long, and got distressed if she could not see one or the other of them.

"Just came over to wish you luck. I'm sure you don't need it; but, well, you never know," said Paul. "I have the hospital all set up ready, so we'll be able to stitch you both back together," he said to Tony.

"Thanks, mate, I appreciate that," replied Tony.

They arrived at the field. Branrith had yet to arrive, but some of the locals had already taken some of the best vantage spots. It was turning into a bit of a carnival, with folk setting up stalls to sell fast food, trinkets and other such rubbish.

The arena was roped off into a circle some fifty feet in diameter. People were turning up with picnic hampers, folding chairs, and other paraphernalia.

"This really is turning into a proper party," Paul said as they made their way into the centre.

"Just as well. After Tony wins, we'll have the people already gathered here. We'll tell them exactly what changes we intend to make, and what that will mean for them," said Tom.

Just then the sounds of a pair of trumpets rang out. Through the crowd they could see Branrith being carried by his men in his sedan chair. He was followed by the tall man, who they took to be Charleth in full battle armour. They all made their way into the centre of the arena. Branrith's chair was lowered, and he finally got out. He was well dressed and bedecked with jewels.

"I see you have turned up," he said sneeringly. "Well that is a surprise. I thought you would have run off like a thief in the night to where ever you had come from. Ah well, I suppose one of these men will have to die for your folly. Charleth, come here." The large man stepped forward. "This man is the best fighter in Bridgetown. He has defeated every man that has come against him. Now I'm a reasonable man, I'll give you one last chance, pack up and leave now, and I'll let your friend live. Fight and loose, and you and all your companions will be sold into slavery. You'll make me even richer than I am now."

Tom smiled and stepped forward as he said, "Well, thank for your generous offer, but I'm afraid we'll have to decline. You see, we know what these slavers are like. We've had dealings with them before. We defeated them last time we were here. And we smashed the best they had to offer at Small Cove. Now I want to know just who you intended to sell us to, and once this unpleasantness is concluded you will tell me what I want to know. Now my champion is Sir Tony. He is probably the finest swordsman on this planet. I'll make you a generous offer. Our champions will fight until the first man yields. This will allow us decide who's man is the best, and hopefully avoid loss of life. This will of course depend whether or not you care about those whose lives you are willing to risk."

Branrith thought about it for a few minutes. "Very well, if your man is half as good as you say, he will probably fetch a half decent price."

"So, it is decided," said Tom. He turned and spoke to the two combatants, loudly, so the entire crowd could hear. "You will fight until the first man yields!"

With that they all retired out of the arena, leaving just the respective champions there. Both men stood facing each other, dressed in their full battle armour. Both men were tall, Charleth was slightly taller, but he was a good deal heavier. He was not fat, just much bigger built. Tony was tall and lean, dressed in black leather, with his chain-mail shirt under his jacket. He also wore his boots with bone grieves sewn into the backs of the legs to protect his hamstrings. He wore long leather gloves, again lined with chain-mail. On his left hand he wore an oval shaped buckler. On his head he wore his helmet, polished to a fantastic shine. His sword and dagger glistened in the sunlight.

His opponent was similarly dressed; however, you could tell that his clothes and armour were not of the same quality as Tony's. The two men faced each other, drew their swords, and saluted each other. Then they stepped back, ready to begin the fight.

They circled each other, each looking for an opening. They teased and tested each other, and each was very good. Suddenly Charleth moved forward and attacked. Tony countered, just managing to deflect the blows. Tony counter attacked, and managed to force him back.

They both backed off, and saluted each other. Again they moved forward. This time they exchanged blows, getting faster and faster until their blades were just a blur. Both men moved so fast that the people watching could not follow them. Suddenly both men were clenched together, in the middle of the arena.

They both stepped back, breathing heavily. Again, they circled each other and warily tested each other's defences. Then Tony attacked and managed to score a hit on his opponent's arm. Charleth hissed and jumped back. He then swung a round, back-handed a swing, and managed to catch Tony across his chest. Fortunately his chain-mail stopped the blade from actually cutting him. Both men stepped back and nodded to each other, each acknowledging the others skill. Tony moved forward, he feigned to the left, then suddenly spun, and caught his opponent across the back. He then followed this up with a slash to the back of his knees. This brought Charleth to the ground. Tony was on him in an instant, his dagger at his throat.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.