Invasion - Cover

Invasion

Copyright© 2012 by 2 flags

Chapter 10

The weather, which up to now had been fine, decided to change. It was getting towards autumn, and you could feel it. It was getting colder and the rains started. It turned the roads into quagmires, and made travelling almost impossible.

They reached one point where they thought they would have to abandon the wagons. They were travelling through a heavily wooded area, and the road dropped down into a gully, this formed a natural sump, and all the land around drained into it. They looked for a way round, but there wasn't any. This gully was about half a mile long and was flooded up to knee height, but that was only the half of it, for the bottom of the gully was soft mud that sucked you down. One man tried to wade through, but after only fifteen yards or so, was totally stuck. They had to use ropes and two of the mules to pull him out.

"What are we going to do? There must be another way around; but if there is, I don't see it or know of it," said Tom.

One of the men that had joined them at Rebecca's said, "We need to bridge it." He knelt down and drew a plan in the dirt. "We can drive piles down along here, and here, and lay supports across the top. Then we can put a roadway over it, like that," he said, inscribing on his plan in the dirt, as he spoke. "With all of us working, it shouldn't take us more than two days."

"Two days!" exclaimed Tom "This whole thing is taking far too long. I just have a horrible feeling I'm going about this all wrong. I just have a feeling we really need to get to Bridgetown, but without an army, we'll be dead meat," he said to Tony.

"I know what you mean," Tony replied, "but trust me, the loyalty you are engendering as we travel is worth more than you can realise. Word travels as minstrels wander these lands, telling tales and singing songs. Think about it, these people had heard of me and my exploits in Gronhinne. Okay, they'd been somewhat exaggerated, but is that such a bad thing? It makes us seem more like comic book heroes, yes; but in these times, maybe that's just what these people need: a hero or two to come and save them. Don't worry, let's just build this bridge, then we can get on our way."

"Yes, I guess your right. It's just if they reach Bridgetown before us, then it'll make our job so much harder. I suppose that's a problem for another day. Today, let's just build this bloody bridge and get on our way." he said resignedly

They started work on the bridge. At first it all went well, trees were felled, piles were sunk, and the first supports were laid. But then it started raining. It didn't just rain, it poured. It made the supports slick, and then everything was so slippery. After several accidents, and some very near disasters, they just had to stop.

"It's no use Tom, if we don't stop someone's going to be hurt, if not killed." Tony told him. "We're just going to have to wait until it stops."

"Very well, we'll make camp. Let's get some food on." he said.

It rained all day and night. It finally stopped the following day, but the ground was waterlogged. The hollow was full of water. It made the work even more difficult than it had been, but they finally finished the bridge. It had taken three and a half days, but now they could pass through the gully. They passed through the twisting trails and paths that passed for roads. There were some places that they had to cut down trees to get the wagons through. It took them another two days to arrive at the Badger People's village. The first thing they noticed was that the usual village was empty. As they arrived, a man emerged from the forest.

"Molthroth!" called out Tom, "Where is everyone?"

The man approached "Lord Tom! So good to see you! We're all at the new village, at Battle Valley. We've combined our peoples so we are just the Hunter People now. It was such a good site, that no-one wished to leave."

"That's right, I remember Talbath telling me when we saw him in Small Cove. I hear you're about to be a grandfather! How is everyone else getting on?" Tom asked him.

"Yes, the baby is due quite soon. I hope you can stay around for it. Ganlan is still in charge, and not making too much of a hash of it. Overall, we are doing well. We've had some farmers make their way up to our village. They are providing a lot more crops for us, so things are better. Now, you haven't come all this way just to enquire about my family, though I'm glad you remembered me. What brings you here? Especially in the company of all these fine folk! Something must be the matter, and I'll guess that it has something to do with those slavers," he said.

"Yes, you're right. There is trouble from the slavers. It seems that last time, it was just a raid. Now, they want to take over the entire island."

"Yes I thought as much. We have been getting folk from towns and villages from the far side of the island. The slavers have been taking over, over there, and the people have fled to here. We have been preparing for your return, all of us have been training and we haven't forgotten what you taught us," he said.

"That's fantastic, very well, let's go and see the rest of them," said Tom

They made their way to the new home of the Hunter People. A large crowd came out to greet them. They were welcomed with joy.

Tom looked at the new village, or town, it could now rightfully be called. It was a booming place with a market and shops along the main street, with little alleyways running off it, containing small workshops making all sorts of goods. What impressed them most was the fortifications. A deep ditch was backed up with a high wall that ran around the town. There were just two entrances, and each was guarded by two tall towers.

Large barns were evident, so it was obvious that they had plenty of food stored for the winter. Tom smiled as he saw Ganlan making his way over towards him.

"Welcome back, my Lord," Ganlan said as he approached Tom and his party. "I'm so glad you have returned to us, in these troubled times."

"Hello, Ganlan, how are you and your family? Keeping well I hope?" Tom said

"My family yes, but a lot of these people here, not so well. The stories they tell. I know now what you saved us from, and I'm proud to be your man." He told them. He then saw Paul. "Lord Paul, I'm so glad that you have returned to us as well. Your Angels have been wonderful, and they have saved so many of us. We are truly honoured to have you back with us," he said.

"As you know, the slavers have returned. We are here to drive them off this beautiful island. We have come to ask for your help. We need your young men to fight for us. This is a very hard thing to do, as we know that not all will return. But ask we must," Tom told him.

"This we know. You, my Lord, command. We will follow. Without you we would be slaves, ourselves. So, as a people, we are yours to command," he told them.

They proceeded down the main street, towards the large hall at the end. As they walked down the street, people came out and cheered and waved. As they made their way, a young boy looked up at his mother.

"Who's that, mummy?" he asked.

"That's the man who saved us! That's Lord Tom. That man next to him is Lord Paul, he's the man who started the Angels. They are the ones who made me well, when I was sick last winter," she told him.

"Is Lord Tom our King?" the boy asked

"I'm not sure if we have a king, but if we do, then he would be the one," said his mother.

"Why don't we have a King, mummy?" the boy asked.

"I don't know son, we just don't that's all," she replied.

Just then a voice rang out, "Long live the King!"

Soon other voices joined in the cry.

"I guess I was wrong, son," said the woman. "It seems we now have a King," and she too joined in the cry.

Tom looked around at the people shouting out. They were smiling and waving.

"I must be going mad, or maybe I'm just dreaming. This can't be right! I'm a bloody bus driver. I'm not a King!"

He smiled and waved back at them.

"Well, your majesty," said Tony riding up next to him, "it seems the people have spoken. You said that you would have to wait till you got here to decide if you would accept the throne, well it seems that the people have chosen for you. You are their King."

"But this is insane, Tony. I'm a bus driver, for goodness sake! I'm no King!" said Tom.

"I've got news for you, old son, you are, now!" he laughed as he rode ahead. "Make way for the King," he shouted as he rode to the head of the column.

As they arrived at the hall the people cheered. He held up his hands, and gradually the noise level dropped.

"My friends," he began, and a hush descended upon the crowd. "I come to you today with grave news. When I was last here, we defeated a group of slavers. We hoped then that defeating them would quash their dreams of enslaving the people of this island. I am here today, to tell you that it has not happened. As you already know, this evil has once again visited our shores. Once again it is the Hunter Peoples I turn to, in order to rid this land forever of this pernicious curse. I intend to drive these animals back into the sea, where they belong. All men shall live free, no woman shall live in fear, and no child shall go to bed hungry. This is a world I would wish to live in. This is the world I would wish for you, my people!"

A cheer rang out around the market place, and down through the streets. Again he raised his hands. Again, the crowd fell silent.

"Unfortunately, this vision will have to be bought at a high cost. It will have to be bought in blood. We are going to have to fight to drive these people from our shores, and when men fight, some do not return home. As we smashed them before so we will smash them again. We will use new ways to beat them, to harass them. We will make them wish they had never come to our beautiful land and despoiled it with their corrupt ways. We will fight to defend our land, and we will win. Now, who is with me?"

An even louder cheer went up, and the crowd surged forward. Captain Simon ordered his guards to hold back the crowd. They moved into the great hall. Once inside he saw Ganlan standing with several other men, he went up to him.

"Ganlan, what was all that about?" He asked

"Well, Sire, we had minstrels come over from the mainland. They told tales of King Sid, of how he drove the slavers from his land, and brought peace and prosperity there. It is said that robbers dare not show their faces, and no woman fears being attacked. We also had folk come over as refugees, one of them was a merchant. He said that he had travelled to this land, and it was as the singer had proclaimed. We wish our land to be like that. If that means we need a king, then so be it. The only man who we could think of, who we would wish for or accept as king, is you. You are the one who united us, you are the one who saved us from the slavers, you are the only man who could hold this office and command the loyalty of all the tribes."

"Very well, Ganlan, I accept the honour of being your King," he replied

Ganlan took his arm and raised it to the crowd.

"Long live the King!" he proclaimed

A cheer rang out across the square.

"I guess this calls for a party," said Tony.

The food was prepared, and the beer and wine flowed. It went on for several hours. King Tom and Sir Tony sat at the head of the main table. Lord Paul sat with the Angels, and had Martha perched on his lap. She had started to improve over the last few days, but all the noise and excitement made her shy again, and she refused to give up her seat. She was very tired, as she snuggled down into Paul's arms. Obviously fighting it every inch of the way, she slowly fell asleep.

Tony nudged Tom.

"Look over there," he said, looking at Paul. "A proper daddy, now, isn't he?"

Tom looked over towards his friend, sitting there with the child in his lap and his woman looking adoringly up at him.

"I think he has found his true vocation, here. I don't know if I've ever seen him happier," he told Tony.

"He really loves her, doesn't he?" said Tony.

"Oh, yes, he really does," Tom replied

The following morning, there were several people who weren't at their best. A lot of folk were talking in hushed tones, and they weren't trying to keep secrets. Paul, Janice and the other Angels were kept busy making and administering potions for headaches and upset tums. It wasn't until mid-morning that the town started to come to life.

"Morning, Ganlan," said Tony. "How are you feeling today?"

"Not too bad, considering. How about yourself?" he replied

"About the same, I would guess. Just what was that we were drinking last night? It had one hell of a kick to it," he asked

Ganlan laughed and said, "It was our beer. We call it Grolfer, after the sound you make round the back of your hut, when you've drunk too much of it."

Tony laughed and replied, "Good name for it. I think I heard a few calling it that, late last night."

"Yes, so did I," Ganlan replied. "Sir Tony?" he continued, "I have heard of your machines. I wonder if we could use them to gather in the last of the crops. I know that most would have them in by now, but I'm sure that there's a few that could do with some help."

"Of course, that's why we brought them." Tony told him. "Just let me know where they are needed, and we'll do the rest."

"That's fantastic. I'll let the people know, and we'll get it all harvested, straight away." he said.

Ganlan went off and spoke to the farmers. Within a very short space of time the machines were being assembled, and the crops harvested.

Tom went around the town, looking to see who was about. Simon accompanied him, along with two of his guards. He met Chalista, Talbath's mother.

"Hello, Chalista, how are you? I hear you are to be a grandmother, soon," Tom said.

The woman lowered her eyes and knelt before him.

"Thank you, Sire, I am well. Yes we are to be blessed with a grandchild, all being well," she said.

Tom reached down and taking her hand bade her to stand.

"Please, you don't need to kneel before me. I would like to consider you my friend, and also I would like to meet your new man. I would like to talk to the man lucky enough to have won your heart."

She blushed at this. "He is off hunting at the moment, I expect him back any day," she replied. "But I know Talbath is waiting to see you. He was beside himself with excitement when he returned here with the news of your return, they all were."

"In that case my dear, lead on. It will be good to see the hero of Battle Valley, again," he said.

Again she blushed and led him over to Talbath's new home.

"Lord Tom, I mean, your Majesty!" said Talbath as they approached his house.

"Hello, Talbath, how are you?" Tom asked

"Very well, Sire. As I told you when I saw you in Small Cove, I am to be a father. Please, allow me to introduce Selena," he said holding the hand of his pretty young wife.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.