Invasion
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2012 by 2 flags

The next morning they woke early, had breakfast, and made their way back to town. Tom asked Captain Peters to thoroughly search the captured ship, and give him a full inventory. Tom spoke to the prisoners.

"I am going to give you all a choice. You will work as indentured servants for the next ten years, or you will be killed right now. Your heads will be shaved and your clothes will be marked. I will not brand you for now. Any attempt to escape, and you will then have your sentence increased to twenty five years, and you will be branded. You have ten minutes to decide."

Unsurprisingly, they all decided to live.

Tony went off to see the blacksmith and start work on his machines. Paul started talking to the women to see who wished to be trained up as nurses and healers. Tom gathered his workforce together, and walked to the hill. This included the former slavers. He looked round at the men and women digging the initial trenches.

He felt a great sense of responsibility for them. They were looking to him for protection. Then the doubts crept in. What if he were wrong? What if this didn't work? Would he end up getting these people killed? He shook his head. Nothing he could do now. He knew the slavers were coming. He knew these people had to be protected.

This was the obvious target. It had the bank. Capture the bank and you stop anyone else entering or leaving Chaos from here. Who ever controlled the bank, effectively controlled the Island.

His mind was spinning. There was so much to do. He had to contact all the other people on the Island: Rebecca on her farm, the Badger people, the other hunter tribes, the folk at Bridgetown. Somehow he needed to contact them all. What to do? What to do? At home he'd just pick up the phone, but here?

Just then a young boy came galloping in on his pony. He came rushing up to one of the men working.

"Here you are, Dad. Mum's made you some lunch," he said, handing him a package. The boy then jumped on his horse and galloped off.

'He's like the Pony Express, ' thought Tom. 'That's it! The Pony Express!'

He walked over to where Robert was supervising another group of workers.

"Hi, Robert, how's it going?" he asked.

"Not bad, we're getting the outline done. We've marked it out, now we've got to dig the ditches out and put the first line of poles in," he replied.

"Good. That's good news. Tell me, that lad ... how many lads like him have ponies?" asked Tom.

Robert knew him well enough by now to know when he asked a question like that, he was up to something.

"Why?" he replied, "What new scheme are you hatching up, now?"

Tom laughed and said, "Am I that obvious? Well, I was thinking of the problem of communication. If we need to get a message from one place to another, how it can be achieved? If we had a line of places where ponies or horses could be stationed and changed, how far could a rider get in a day? How long to get a message from here ... to, say, Bridgetown? Or from here to the Hunter people?"

Robert stood there a moment, then said, "I've never thought about it. We've never needed to send messages like that, before."

"Well, when we get attacked, wouldn't it be nice to get a message out and know that we weren't alone, and help was on its way. Once the castle is finished, it would take them a while ... at least two to three weeks ... to take it, maybe longer. If we knew that in that time we would be getting some re-enforcements; wouldn't it be great if we could attack them from behind, especially if they weren't expecting it? How would they feel having to fight a battle on two fronts? Maybe we could trap them and totally smash them!" Tom said.

"So how would we set this up? And where would we get the riders?" Robert asked.

"We'd need to know the routes the riders would take, and set up stations along the way. Inns or farms would be best, for now. It would have to be people and places we trust. We need to get word of what is happening to Bridgetown and to the Hunter people. We cannot just protect ourselves. Only by working together we will defeat these people. We cannot do it alone," Tom told him.

"You're right about that. Yes, I can see the need for something like this. I will talk to some of the men, I'm sure the older boys, and some of the girls, would love to do some thing like this," said Robert.

Paul was speaking to a group of women. He had found that there were two healers in the town, one was a widow of about forty five years of age, and the other was a married woman in her late twenties. So along with the women from Roberts', he had four healers. They all listened with interest at what Paul had to say about germs, and the need for cleanliness. He was fascinated by what they used to treat different illnesses. Some he knew wouldn't work, but some he was intrigued to see if they really would.

They were fascinated by the use of honey for treating infection. He talked to the other women about keeping them and their families clean, and how it would slow the spread of disease. In the end he had six women he could work with. He set up his sickbay in an empty house. He bought some lime wash from the store, and they spent the morning painting the inside of the house. They were doing this, he told them so that could see the dirt and mess, and make sure it was kept clean.

The paint was barely dry when they had their first patient. One of the men cutting logs for the town defences had managed to cut himself with the saw. It was a deep and nasty cut on his leg. He was brought in on the back of a small wagon and Paul had his women set to work. First they removed his trousers and cleaned the wound. Paul had made a weak mix of poppy tea for the pain. It hurt. After the wound was clean, he stitched it together then made a honey poultice and strapped up his leg. He told the man to rest the leg for a couple of days and to come back and see him to have the stitches removed.

Once people knew there was a new healer in town, they came to see if he could solve their problems. He saw two women with fistulas, and a man with a hernia. He could do nothing for them. He just didn't have the skill. He did, however, help some of them. There was a man who had nasty boil in his groin. It wasn't life threatening, but it was painful. He lanced the boil, and told the man to keep it clean, and he would have to bathe once a week, or it could come back. He saw a lot of people with skin conditions that needed to be treated by simply washing regularly.

After lunch he kept on about cleanliness when he saw on of the women go to eat after visiting the out-house without washing her hands.

"How many women have died from fever, after giving birth? How many have you seen?" he asked them. "If you make sure that you are clean, the woman is clean, and the room and bedding is clean; then you will reduce the incidence of fever, dramatically. Everyone needs to understand this. Every wound needs washing, every bandage needs boiling! Everything must be clean!"

They seemed to understand. He kept on, pounding it at them. It was all he could do.

Tony was doing well. George (the blacksmith) and Ethan (the carpenter) knew what to do, as soon they had the ideas drawn out in the rough. The rest of the day was spent transforming those ideas into reality. They stopped for lunch, and soon were back at work. By the end of the day they had a working prototype of a horse drawn harvester. They found that their first ideas worked, and soon another idea was growing. A threshing machine was next, followed by a seed spreader. Because metal was so scarce and so valuable, as much as possible was made of wood.

It was hot work, both digging the trench and working in the workshop. Weak beer was brought around for all the workers, lunch was also brought round, it was a meal of bread and cheese, with pickled onions. The work progressed, and by the end of the day, they were all pleased with what had been achieved. For the next two days, things continued. Machines were completed, healers were trained, and the fortifications were built. It was on the morning of the fourth day that Tom was getting restless. He spoke to Paul and Tony.

"I know we're doing well, here, but what about the rest of the Island? What's happening at Rebecca's place? What about the Hunter people? They all need to know. The place that really concerns me, is Bridgetown. That's the key to this area. If we can hold that town, there's no other way to cross the river for at least fifty miles, maybe further. Who ever holds Bridgetown, holds the river."

"You're right," said Tony. "We have to get out and tell people what's happening. If we don't, the slavers will just roll them up one by one."

"Yes, but how are we gong to do that? We've just started here, and there's still so much to do."

"Have a think about it. We'll talk again, at lunch," said Tom.

As he made his way down to the docks to talk to Captain Peters, he saw a familiar face.

"Talbath!" he called, "How are you?"

"Lord Tom!" the young man cried with excitement. "You're back! What are you doing here? And why are these people digging trenches?"

"These folks are preparing for trouble. I'll explain, later. First, tell me, what's happening at home? How are Selena and the rest of the family?" he asked.

Talbath beamed with pride as he said, "Selena's expecting our baby. She's due in November. If it's a boy we're going to name him Tom, in your honour ... if that's all right?"

"That's fantastic news, well done. I'm so happy for you. Of course it's all right! Tell me, how are your mother and the rest of the Hunter Peoples?" Tom asked.

"Well, after we defeated the slavers, we joined the villages together at where you said was the best defensive position. Everyone's fine. Mother has found someone. He's from the Fox tribe and has four children of his own. So, now we have a massive family, but we all pitch in. Somehow, it all seems to work," he said.

"I'm pleased for her. She's a wonderful lady, she deserves some happiness. So, what brings you here?" Tom asked.

"We're here to trade our furs. We decided to come now, before the harvest. We have some farmers who have joined us. They have been showing us better ways of growing crops. It looks like we will have a bumper harvest. Things are looking good," said Talbath.

"Excellent, I'll introduce you to Captain Peters. He's the captain of one of my ships. He's sure to give you a good price for your furs. Tell me, how many of you have come down?" Tom asked him.

"There are six of us, some of them you know: Joric, and Rolof. I don't know if you remember any of the others. There is Nathaniel and his brother Horace, and their sister Janice. She has been training as a healer. She was one of Lord Paul's healers. She, Celestina and Eviaria have been working hard to maintain what Lord Paul taught them. They are sending women out to help all the other tribes in the area. No one dares to attack one of the Angels of Mercy," he said proudly.

"Angels of Mercy?" asked Tom.

"One of the men who was treated after the battle, called the healers that, and the name stuck. Now if we need a healer, we just say: 'Send for an Angel.' Everyone knows what we mean," he said.

"That's a good name for them. I'm glad things are going well. Now let's go see the others and I'll introduce you to the captain," said Tom.

It was a joyful reunion when they all met. Tom then took them to Captain Peters and a deal was made.

"Why don't you all go down to the hospital and see Lord Paul? I'm sure he'd like to see you. I know he'd love to hear how you've all been doing."

They went off to see the rest of the town and meet with Lord Paul.

"Thanks for everything," said Talbath, "We'll be sure to see you all again before we leave."

"I'm sure you will. I'll be down, myself, after I've spoken to the good captain here," said Tom.

Next Tom spoke to Captain Peters about the captured ship.

"What are we going to do with it?" asked Tom.

"Well, my first mate is very good. I've been training him up for some time. He'll make a good captain," said Captain Peters.

"Good, I will offer him the same deal as you have. I want you both going over to the mainland to collect as many refugees as possible. We need as much intelligence as possible. We also need to start a rumour that we will welcome all deserters from the Brotherhood. We can use them in the construction projects we have on the go, at the moment. Also, the more discontent and mistrust we can sow into the opposition, the better it will be for us. Now, what about a crew? Where are you going to get enough good reliable men to crew her?" Tom asked.

"Well," said Captain Peters, smiling, "since word got out how good the conditions are here, and how good the pay is, we've had no trouble getting crew. In fact, we have a lot of the original crew that refused to fight for the old captain. Apparently, he wasn't a good or well liked man. The crewmen were looking for a chance to jump ship and join us, anyway, so to serve on the ship under a new master is a dream come true for a lot of them. Already, word is getting out. We're going to have to get more ships if we're going to use all the crew that wish to join us."

"Get as many men as you can get away with. I have a feeling it's going to get messy. Train the men in shipboard fighting, repelling boarders, boarding, fighting off pirates, that sort of thing. I'm not going to try and tell you your job, but I may need your ships to act as warships and attack other vessels. If that need arose I'd like to think you would be better prepared than the opposition," said Tom.

"I wouldn't like to go up against their troop transports. They can carry up to four hundred men. If we got caught by one of those ... well, we'd be in deep trouble. Their grain carriers on the other hand, only have about ten crewmen on board. Now they would be easy to take. Some of the traders are complaining of being not being paid or short changed when working for them. They have however taken to a new and nasty tactic of occupying a port, and holding the sailor's families hostage to ensure the ship's return. 'Protective custody', they call it. 'Hostages', we call it," Captain Peters told him.

"Do you know if any of the ships here are affected by this 'protective custody' problem?" Tom asked.

"No, not directly; but Adolpho's brother has his family in a port on the mainland, and they are holding them. They have let it be known that if Adolpho or his brother Diego don't do as they are told, then their families would suffer," Captain Peters said.

"Let's go and have a word with Adolpho, shall we? Who knows what we may discover?" Tom said.

They went to see the man. He was short, but powerfully built, with long black hair and a big bushy beard. He greeted them cautiously.

"And what can I do for you gentlemen?" he asked.

"Hello, Captain Adolpho, this is Lord Tom. He has a few things he'd like to ask you," Captain Peters said.

"I'd like to find out about what is happening to your families, and if there is anything we can do to help?" asked Tom.

The man looked nervously towards the door.

"Not here. Is there somewhere else we can talk?"

"Of course, we'll need to discuss the deal on Captain Peter's ship. If you would like to come with us?" said Tom in a loud voice.

The three men left his ship and returned to the Lord Tom. As they left Tom noticed a small man who rather resembled a weasel seemed to follow them. As they boarded the Lord Tom, Captain Peters, who had also noticed this man gave a nod to two of his crew and glanced to where the man was standing. Captain Adolpho was led below deck into the captain's cabin.

"Very well, what is the problem, and who was that creep who was following us?" asked Tom.

"He's Nacho. He works for Vladik. He's his pet spy. There's one or two on each ship. He's the only one on here; we managed to get rid of the other one. He 'fell' overboard on the trip out here. This one is a thief. He seems to think he's entitled to whatever he sees," he said.

Tom smiled an evil smile. "Come and talk to Lord Paul when we've finished. We'll give him some wine which will cure him of that. Just make sure no-one else drinks it. Now, what's going on, and more importantly, how can we help you free your family?"

"It's like this. We have to transport what ever were told, if we don't they threaten to harm our families. They are held in a large compound just outside Belariak, on the mainland. There must be over two hundred families there, it's not only the officers, it's the men, as well. There's also a girl they call a cock burner. I don't know why she's there. There is a strong guard on this place. There must be over fifty men guarding it. We are allowed to see them once we return from a trip for one week, then we have to return to sea. To have your wife and daughter's threatened with rape, and even worse ... well, we tend to do as we're told," he said.

This news made Tom angry.

"This is disgusting. We need to find a way to put a stop to this and get your families out. Do you need your little spy taken out of action for a few days?" he asked

"It wouldn't hurt. There are several of them within the fleet. We're the only ship here at the moment. There was another, but you captured that one," Captain Adolpho said.

"Do you know the name of the spy on my new ship? I would hate to have him on board trying to influence the crew," asked Tom.

Captain Adolpho laughed, "He went overboard not long after they left port, apparently. He described in graphic detail exactly he intended to do to one of the men's daughters. Apparently he can't swim too well with his legs tied to a large rock. He went over the side at the first opportunity."

"Nice to see the men aren't completely cowed by these bastards," said Tom.

"No we're not, but we have to pick our battles," he told him.

"Can you get me a map of the area? I don't think we can do anything just yet, but I wouldn't want to let this chance slip us by," Tom said.

"Yes, I should be able to do that. I'll go and get our charts. It's just on the coast. There's even a hidden bay that I know of, that will allow us to get in and out without being seen," Captain Adolpho told him gleefully.

Captain Peters looked up and said, "Lord Tom, this is just too good an opportunity to let go by. If we can free the families, we rob them of their fleet! They will not be able to re-supply or re-enforce their troops here. You will then be in a mop-up operation. I can lead it. You need to go and meet with all the tribes in the area, and get them to harass and free any slaves that have been taken. Also do what they have done around Gronhinne: offer a pardon and land to all those who desert. I reckon quite a few will take that offer, especially if you've poisoned the food and water, and stop them from sleeping too well."

Tom sat there and thought about it. The more he thought of it the more he liked it.

"How many men do you have?" Tom asked

"We have thirty in our crew, and I know they are loyal," said Captain Peters.

"Thirty?" exclaimed Captain Adolpho. "We have to manage with twelve!"

"I have been training our men as much as possible with whatever weapons we have at our disposal. Your friend Ahmed has helped out as well, by providing us with some really good bows. He has been teaching some of our men the cutlass, as well. It was he who suggested I increase the size of my crew. It was just as well, we had one spot of bother when someone tried to board us. They did not succeed. We fired so many arrows at them, they and their ship looked like a pin cushion. After that word seems to have gotten out, and we are left alone. If we mix and combine the crews of all three ships, then we should have somewhere in the region of fifty men," said Captain Peters.

"I must admit I would love to free those people just to spite those who hold them. I will see if we can get some more warriors to accompany you. I have an idea where we might find a few more," said Tom.

He went to see Corin the merchant.

"Welcome, Lord Tom," Corin greeted him as he entered his office. "And to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?"

"Hello, Corin. I was wondering ... if a man needed some guards, where would he hire them?" Tom asked.

"Well, there aren't many trained men, but if you select the biggest looking brutes you can find, and give them a club, I usually find that to be sufficient. There are some trained men around, but they are few and far between," he said.

"So, if I want to get some trained guards, I'd have to train them myself?" asked Tom.

"I think so. But, when you've finished with them, I'm sure we'll be able to use them. Any man you train I'm sure will have a job for life," Corin said.

"I think I need to go to the refugee camp, and see what I can find. I'll go and get Sir Tony, and we'll go see what we can find."

He collected Tony and asked him how it was going.

"It's going well. George and Ethan are doing so well, I feel I'm becoming superfluous. They take my ideas and plans and turn them into reality so quickly, that I feel that I can leave them to get on with it. Some of the others they have working with them are really skilled. I feel that we'll have production going within a day or so. Come and have a look and see what we've achieved."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.