Repentance
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2012 by John D

Zoe opened the patio door and stepped into Andy's garden. "Rhea said you were out here," Zoe muttered and Andy sat up. He was only wearing boxer shorts, but Zoe had seen him in far less so he wasn't overly concerned at a false attempt at modesty.

"Oh I see the tents gone. Simon in spare bedroom now then."

Andy grinned. "The shed."

Zoe laughed. "Well it serves him right. How is he?"

"He is fine. Rhea has had him doing all the cooking, washing, menial jobs and the like. Oh, and a tattoo."

"A tattoo?" Zoe replied shocked and Andy smiled. She picked up a stone from the lawn and threw it onto the rockery as she meandered over to him and sat down opposite.

"Yeah. It was Rhea's idea. To remind him who his girlfriend is. So he has a tattoo of her name on his arm." Zoe raised an eyebrow and Andy smirked. "So are you having Ezra inked on you? How about 'Ezra forever'?"

"No thank you. I don't like tattoos, one bit."

Andy smiled. "Neither does Simon, but he did something he didn't want to do. For someone he loves." Andy bit his lip and looked out over the garden. He watched a bird swoop onto the flowerbed and remove a worm.

"It's a nice garden in Summer, isn't it?" Zoe asked and Andy gave a wry grin.

"Yeah. Very private. Ideal for nude sunbathing, if you fancy it?"

"Ezra will love that won't he?"

"I am sure he will," Andy joked and they sat down on the bench with their drinks.

"I came round to ask you a small favour."

"Sure, it's no problem. I just wish you hadn't been so stubborn," Andy replied immediately grinning. "I'll go get my chequebook."

Zoe took a deep breath and screwed up her face into a frown. "No, Andy not that. Will you let that drop? No I want to ask you if you will come with me to the prison when John is released. He is out next week and I don't want to go on my own and Ezra can't take that day as holiday."

Andy smiled, the memories of Zoe and Simon's brother made him smile: he was a natural comedian and didn't take life too seriously. "Yeah, of course."

Zoe let out a relieved sigh. "I wanted to speak to him before Mum sees him. She has barely spoken to him in three years and is still very angry with him. He could do with having this spelt out to him before he puts his foot in it."

"Yeah, sure," Andy said dismissively. "It ain't a problem. But about the other thing..."

"Andy! We have been through this."

"Well Ezra is happy to take it. It is your birthdays coming up. Let me right you a nice cheque that will make your dreams come true," Andy pleaded and Zoe shook her head.

"No Andy. You have lots of money and that's great for you but you can't buy me happiness. Hell, you can't even make yourself happy."

Andy exhaled deeply and Zoe put her arm around her friend. "Ezra and I will do this. And it will mean more to us that we did it ourselves. I promise, you will be a godfather before you are thirty. Assuming you don't kill yourself beforehand."

"I'm not gonna kill myself," Andy snapped.


"But I don't want to," Izzy replied defiantly at the dinner table. "Why can't I still go to school with Ellie and Jacob?"

"Because it is a long way away darling," Rhea soothed and Izzy folded her arms up.

"But I don't to go to it. It's a small, crappy school," she started and was reprimanded by her father for her choice of language. Certainly the village school down the road was a lot smaller than her old school, but Simon and Rhea were impressed with it, even though Izzy certainly wasn't.

"We have no other choice," he soothed. "They have a place for you and it is just down the road."

Izzy scowled and pushed dinner away. "Don't want it," she spat at her father and crossed her arms. "So Daddy spends all the money so I cannot go to school," she asked and Simon looked at Rhea for help.

"No," Rhea replied firmly. "Because we are living with Uncle Andy you need to go a nearer school."

"But I want to go to school with Ellie and Jacob," Izzy shouted and tears welled up in her eyes. "And its your fault." Izzy pointed at her father and hit him on the arm.

Andy was closest and he put his arm around his niece. "Hey," he muttered. "It's your birthday coming up. Why not invite them to your party?"

"I don't want a party," she squealed. "I want to go to my school."

Rhea and Simon looked at each other and then at their distressed daughter.

"What about a magician," Andy suggested. "Or a bouncy castle? Or a clown? Or a..."

"Circus? I want lions and tigers and monkeys that would eat people," Izzy finished her hands waving to mimic the ferocious behaviour of the animals.

Andy grinned. "Lions and tigers might be hard, but we could certainly get in some birds of prey from a local falconry centre. Or maybe a visit to Whipsnade?"

Rhea glanced at her brother. "I am not sure taking kids to the safari park is a good idea."

"Well whatever Izzy decides, right? You let your uncle Andy know and I'll organise it."

Rhea shot her brother a look of annoyance but was secretly quite relieved that they navigated the change of primary school without too much trouble. Just.


"Mr Williams. Long time no see," the solicitor airily greeted the smart gentleman sauntering into her private office. He shut the door and raised his eyebrows.

"Jessica, I thought it was. Sorry, didn't recognise you out of suspenders."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.