Crisis at Ishtar
Chapter 58: Tensions will Boil Over

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Joyal

"Colonel!" James shouted. "At this point I'm assuming these are your friends. And that you somehow expect them to force us to allow you to complete whatever mission you were given."

"I have no idea what you mean," Colonel Johanes said quietly. "I'm a simple researcher, sent to investigate the artifacts discovered by your probes."

"Really?" James replied. "AI, did you complete the records check I requested regarding Colonel Johanes and the members of his research team."

"Affirmative," the AI replied. "Clint Johanes, cap score of six point six. On Earth, he worked for Bell Labs as a laboratory technician. Initial CAP testing showed that the man had a methodical mind and would be best in a non-combat research posting. Upon pickup, he was sent to Rathlinat, where there was a major research station. He has been based there since."

"What!" Colonel Johanes screamed out. "That's a lie! I was a head of research on Earth before I was picked up."

"I believe the AI has the correct information," James replied. "It would definitely explain your research methods since you have arrived. You might actually be an excellent assistant, but so far you've shown no ability to lead a project. However, the biggest question is: are those your friends?"

"James!" Ulla shouted. "We have a communication from the missile cruiser. They are demanding to speak to the governor of the colony."

"That's me!" Colonel Johanes snapped.

"Really?" I heard Yvette reply. "So we were all just imagining the AI telling you that your appointment was not valid? How about we test your theory again? AI, both James and Clint will respond. You can connect the real governor."

"What!" I heard the colonel scream out.

My master obviously realized what was going on. "If you are calling for Colonel Johanes," he said. "He's discovered that the orders sending him here were not valid."

"I need to speak to the colony governor," a crusty voice called out. "It is my understanding that renegades inhabit the planet. They were supposed to be rounded up before I arrived."

"James," Veronica called out. "The communication is coming from one of the new ships. We have four more ships in the system. It looks like a President Class carrier, a Europa Class cruiser and two Asia destroyers."

"Can we hail them or are they in the blind spot the missile cruiser generated?" James asked.

"We would have to rely on light speed communications for now," Ulla replied. "One of the replicators on Inanna has produced replacement repeaters, but they are still in transit."

"Wonderful," James muttered.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned. Janice was standing next to me. She had a tray in her left hand. I could see a selection of sushi populated the tray.

"Eat," she suggested. "You must be hungry."

I glanced at the teleportal controls. The attacks had stopped for the moment. It felt safe, but there was still a risk if I took my attention away from the console. I set up a security lock on the pad itself and activated a program that would alert me if anyone attempted to access the pad before turning towards my sister concubine.

"Thanks," I said as I reached for the tray. "I am hungry. My daughter should be as well."

Janice giggled. "Tina is bringing her. She just took some extra time to organize some comforts. James and Yvette are saying that this standoff might last a long time."

I nodded. "How long has it been so far?"

"Seven hours," Tina said from the doorway. "And the situation is actually getting worse."

"How?" I asked as I picked up the first piece of sushi and tossed it into my mouth. The selection offered by Janice included several of my favorites and I wanted to savor them, but the threat of another attempt to hack our teleport system meant I had to eat quickly.

"Four more ships that are clearly not ours," Tina replied as she picked up something from a wagon she had dragged into the room. She walked behind me as she continued to speak. "Ravenna appears to have a confused captain, that ship is hanging back and just watching, but River Oaks has been harassing Athena and now the missile cruiser is accelerating towards Cancun. They even have every active sensor aimed at Cancun."

I swallowed the piece of sushi I was eating. "Probably an attempt to intimidate Cancun."

"Cancun has no clue what's going on," Janice replied. "They lost every sensor they had. But you might be right. And then we have the recent transmissions from one of the new ships."

I nodded. "And all we can do is wait." I picked up another piece of sushi. Behind me, Tina was unfolding what turned out to be a special folding chair. She boosted me into it and I found that I was at the perfect level to operate the teleport console.

"Get you off your feet a bit," she informed me. "Now if you take off the jersey you are still wearing for a moment, we'll put Madoka in a sling so your daughter can eat."

"What about changing her?" I asked.

"I'll handle that," Janice said. "Just get her fed once you finish your own meal. We need you to keep people from using the teleport system to sneak into our enclave."

"Can do," I replied with a giggle. I finished the final piece of sushi left on the tray. Janice happily took it away, giving me space to pull the jersey off. Once I was topless, I held out my arms. Tina quickly handed me a sling. I put it over my right shoulder. Once it was secure, I held out my hands and took Madoka from Tina.

My daughter was a little unhappy when I slid her into the sling. She was really too big to be comfortable in the device, but once she realized that my breast was available, she turned and started to suckle. I idly stroked her hair with my right hand as I started to watch the console again.

While I was eating, I had mostly ignored the speaker, but now that I was back on duty, I tried to pay attention. What I heard made it clear that the arrival of the new ships had definitely helped the situation degenerate more.

"What do you mean that Colonel Johanes is not the governor?" the crusty voice from the new ships shouted. "I was assured by General Holdsclaw that he had been properly appointed and would have control of the planet when my flotilla arrived."

"How could he be properly appointed?" Captain Gates voice called out. "He wasn't a colonist of Ishtar, nor was he stationed in the district."

"What district?" the raspy voice called out. "I'm given to understand that this whole system is inside Sa'arm controlled space."

Janice giggled. "Funny how there are no Sa'arm in this system, but we're still considered under their control."

"Ishtar is designated as a colony under the administration of Borneo District Command," the AI interrupted. "No governor was appointed when the planet was first colonized, so the AI selected one. Per standard Confederacy policy, this governor can only be removed by the AI or by his death."

"What?" the raspy voice growled. "What do you mean that the AI appointed a governor, I've never heard of that happening."

A female monotone spoke. "The Ishtar AI is correct. Confederacy AI units that are in charge of a colony may in the absence of a governor, appoint their own. These selections are considered legal by Confederacy law."

"When you think about it, Admiral," James said. "We've all heard that most of the alien races are rather passive. I imagine that, on most of their worlds, it's easier for the AI to select its liaison."

"What do you mean?" the raspy voice repeated.

"I can't speak for other planets," James replied. "However, here there really isn't a lot to govern. The human colonists attempt to keep things simple and maintain a strong level of order. In fact, other than requesting some upgrades, I can't think of anything we've demanded from the colony AI."

"Who the hell are you? And how would you know that?" the raspy voice repeated.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.