Crisis at Ishtar - Cover

Crisis at Ishtar

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Joyal

Chapter 57: Official Notices

My opponent abandoned his attempt to take over the teleport pad after about twenty minutes. I stood at the controls, waiting for the next attack. I was checking to see if I could set up some filters to help limit the scope of the attacks when I heard someone clear their throat behind me.

I froze, but a hand kept me from turning around. "Don't panic," I heard Brittany say. "I just didn't know how to get your attention. You were concentrating."

The console signaled that another attempt to crack my passwords had been initiated. I generated a new block and used it to cut the connection before glancing over my shoulder. "They don't stop for every long," I said. "What can I do?"

"Can you set up a connection with Athena?" Brittany asked.

"Not if there is an attempt to hijack the pad active," I said. "Why?"

Brittany sighed. "This is bad. We can't even talk to them in real time. They got in touch with us using an old laser system. Candi got it to work, I didn't even know we had it."

"Um..." I muttered as I forced the current cyber attack back. "What does that have to do with me?"

"Sorry," Brittany said kissing me on the cheek. "It's just that Athena has two crew in critical condition. Their own medical bay took a direct hit, so they can't treat them. If we are to save them, we need to get them to a medical pod here. They are in the aft transporter room on the Athena."

I nodded as I checked the console. The latest attack had stopped, but I still could see indications that the other party was monitoring our pad. "I can do it, but..." I began.

"Yeah," Brittany said with a sigh. "James has already ripped comrade Johanes up one side and down the other for interfering in the operation of the colony during a crisis. I'm afraid the man didn't take it well. He seems to believe that the appearance of those three ships is the prelude to him taking over completely."

"Will his minion back off and let me perform the teleport?" I asked. "It will make this a lot safer for the injured people I'm bringing over."

"We don't know. I listened to some of the arguing going on. It sounded like Colonel Johanes didn't believe that it was real," Brittany replied.

I sighed, but activated the pad scan to see what new teleporter pads I could connect with. I found that the unknown cruiser had two pads and that there was a new temporary pad set up near our triple door setup. Finally, the scan found the two rooms on Athena.

"Tell James that someone put a temporary pad down near our doors," I told Brittany. "They might be moving people from the cruiser."

"Can they move weapons?" Brittany asked.

"No weapons may be teleported onto Ishtar," the AI intoned.

Brittany giggled. "And the voice speaks. I'll run and tell James. How soon will you be bringing the injured over?"

"Get me people to move the gurneys and I'll activate the system. I've got the pad linked up and hot. But be quick, if they try to break through the security again, I'll have to activate the pad immediately to avoid losing the connection."

"You'd think the AI would lock them out completely," Brittany said in a huff.

"The AI can't always tell a real crisis from a good acting job. It errs on the side of believing that any person claiming that there is an emergency is telling the truth. That's why I have to keep overriding the emergency protocols," I told her. I then waved towards the door.

Brittany headed out. In her absence, I worked to strengthen the link to Athena's teleporter room. The attacks that had been almost constant had ceased, but I continued to watch for indications that the calm was ending.

Less than five minutes after Brittany had left, Nathan, Amanda's hunk of a concubine and Tom, the man who had escaped the other side of the colony to become Yvette's second male concubine dashed into the room. Tom immediately grabbed one of the two gurneys already in the teleporter room and moved it next to the pad. "Donna and Shawna are all set up," he told me. "Bring the injured people over."

I activated the teleporter pad. With the time I had spent, the connection was perfect. Instantly, two bodies appeared on the pad in the room. The bodies were on improvised stretchers. Tom and Nathan seized the first and lifted it onto one of the gurneys.

They pushed the gurney to the doorway and then rushed back to the pad with a second gurney. I was watching them work when a beeping sound from the control console got my attention. I looked down to see that someone from Sir Paridell was again trying to teleport to the pad.

"Damn," I muttered. "They haven't given up."

"What's wrong?" Tom asked.

"They keep trying to teleport to this pad," I said. "Right now, they are trying to open a connection, but the fact that we have someone already on the pad prevented the teleport."

"Are you blocking them?" Nathan asked.

"Constantly," I moaned. "But whoever is trying to teleport here has figured out that the AI will believe that any declared emergency is real. So far, every attempt has had an emergency tag of some kind." I reached over to put the pad into emergency shutdown. This broke the connection to Sir Paridell, although they could attempt to turn the pad back on remotely.

Tom and Nathan had moved the second injured crewman to a gurney. "We'll be back when there are more people to move," Tom shouted as they pushed the gurneys from the room. Their feet beat a fast patter on the floor as they departed.

Alone again, I sighed. The overhead speakers had been broadcasting nothing but static for the last hour. The situation was frustrating and frightening. The only thing that was clear was that the man sent to be the acting governor did not have the well-being of James and the others as a priority.

I was pondering this when Margaux returned. "Sorry," she told me as I brought me another cup filled with water. "Mommy was talking to the boss guy."

"To James?" I asked.

"The quiet guy who runs everything," Margaux affirmed. "He was discussing the ships."

"What were they saying?" I asked.

"I don't know," Margaux admitted.

I took the cup from her and drained it in one long gulp. "Did they have any messages for me?" I asked as I lowered the now empty cup.

"Just that he'll need you here for a while. I heard Kitty and Tina talking about bringing your daughter to you. They'll probably also set up a bed here," Margaux replied.

"Makes sense," I said with a nod. I was about to say more when the speakers stopped hissing. Margaux and I both looked up at the ceiling.

"James!" Colonel Johanes voice screamed out. "You kept claiming you were some miracle worker who could bring order out of chaos."

"It helps when we don't have other people actively working to generate additional chaos," James snapped back. "I'm guessing that missile cruiser and its escorts are supposed to work with you. Tell them to stop the jamming. Athena needs repair and guidance."

"James!" I heard Veronica, one of Timothy's concubines call out. "We have a new jump point opening. It's in line with the Wolf system."

"Any idea what ship it might be?" James asked.

"It's on the small side right now. If it doesn't continue to grow I'd say it's probably a corvette," Veronica replied.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.