Crisis at Ishtar
Chapter 50: Curtained from Conflict

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Joyal

It must have been the fact that we knew the acting governor would hear about our performance. The intensity of Cleo, Mickey and me was palpable as we provided the music for the actors. There were a few sections and songs that had changed, but I barely heard the words as I played.

The audience was silent throughout the performance. At one break, I risked a quick glance at them and found that everyone was gazing raptly towards the stage. Alexis noticed that I had turned my head and flashed me a quick thumbs up before returning her gaze to the crowd.

Janice had a huge smile on her face as the show neared its end. We were approaching the scene where David would be getting abused once again in the twisted dance where Heather and Elle would get to punch, kick and bash him into unconsciousness. Up to this point, I had not seen Brittany or Kitty, but then my sister concubines strolled onto the stage dressed as bums. David stopped and faced them.

"Who are you?" he demanded.

"Just a couple of fellow travelers," Brittany responded. She sounded casual and yet like she expected something.

Kitty immediately stepped alongside her. "You wouldn't happen to have some chance would you?"

"Why?" David asked. "What could you do with it? Who are you? And what are you doing?"

"We have an important meeting to get to," Brittany said with a sniff.

"As if," David responded. "A couple of tramps like you."

"Tramps?" Kitty replied. "We aren't tramps."

"Then who are you?" David demanded again.

The music stand flickered and I watched the screen update to a new song. Cleo immediately gave us a soft beat. The song was very upbeat. I had to concentrate on the tune, but I could hear Brittany and Kitty start to sing.

"We're a couple of swells. We stop at the best hotels. But we prefer the country far away from the city smells," they sang.

The song kept on for a while. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the duo dancing around David. The show's star kept trying to stop them, but they ignored him and continued singing.

At the end of the song, Brittany and Kitty marched off the stage, leaving David standing alone at the edge of what appeared to be a beer garden. He walked forward, revealing Heather and Elle. Mickey had glanced up after the song and sighed. "Finally."

"It hasn't been that long," Cleo whispered back, "and the audience is enjoying it."

"It's longer than it used to be," Mickey replied. "I think I counted six new songs."

"Seven," the AI whispered in reply. "However, the final scenes are unchanged."

"Good," Cleo said. "My shoulders are getting sore. We need to play together more often."

"When we have time," I replied as the music stands flickered. We immediately got ready to play for the Guten-tag that started the show's finale.

The show finished and for a moment there was complete silence in the hall. Cleo and Mickey both glanced over at me, worried expressions on their faces, and then someone in the crowd began to clap.

Once the first person started, everyone began to cheer. There were only about forty people in the audience, but the hall rang with cheers as Janice and David led everyone onto the stage. They took their time bowing as the crew of Cabo San Lucas stood up and applauded.

Cleo, Mickey and I continued to play an overture as our friends accepted the applause. Finally, Janice led the cast forward. They waved towards the orchestra pit. Cleo nodded and as one we stopped playing and stood before bowing to the audience.

Janice and the others bowed one more time and then stepped back as the curtain closed. The lights came on in the theater. Cleo put a hand on my shoulder as the crowd immediately began to mill around. She leaned over to speak to me, but before she could, another voice rang out.

"Everyone, we arrived without much damage. By now, I'm sure our ship has been repaired and is ready to return to the fight. I know you want a longer rest, but the Sa'arm don't rest, so if we want to defeat them we have to get moving. I want all crew back on board in two hours and for third watch to be ready to take the ship on a jump to Ursus and then to Tufts," a voice commanded.

"Tufts?" Mickey asked quietly.

"One of the planets in Leo sector. The Sa'arm conquered it in the last few months," I said. "At least that's what I've overheard. I guess they've been asked to check out the situation."

Cleo shrugged. "Nothing that anyone here will be responsible for. However, let's wait here while the crowd clears out. If we head backstage, some of the others might try to follow."

"I didn't see anyone causing trouble, ' Mickey replied nervously.

"There shouldn't be any," Tyson said. He walked up to the railing separating us from the crowd and then leaned over to grab Cleo's hand. "Wonderful job, my love. I still say you should be on stage."

"I like being here," Cleo replied. "I get to beat on something."

I giggled as Tyson stood there shaking his head. Most of the crowd had headed out, but a couple made their way to the orchestra pit. One I recognized as Captain Dawn Travis, but the other two were wearing marine uniforms. Mickey tensed as they reached us.

Captain Travis ignored the other two as she looked at Tyson. "Will you keep having shows like this?" she asked.

Tyson looked confused and glanced towards the door. I was trying to think of what to say when Janice's voice called out. "We have some ideas for other plays, but for now we are still perfecting this one. Fortunately the format allows us to add or remove songs as needed."

I turned to look at where the voice came from. Janice was standing at the edge of the stage. Candi stood next to her, looking out into the theater.

"Who are you?" one of the marines asked.

Janice appeared to ignore the man. Instead she carefully knelt down and leaned over the orchestra pit. "Were the new songs easy to learn?" she asked.

I shrugged. "More time to practice would have been nice, and more warning that there were changes would have helped. But the AI is very helpful and we were able to get some practice in. I missed far too many notes."

"We all did," Mickey said. "We definitely need to have some real rehearsal time. So far, we've never gathered everyone to practice. Instead you practice to recordings and AI supplied music and we then try to provide live music during shows."

"Hey!" the marine called out. "I asked you a question."

"And it's pretty clear that they are ignoring you," Brad replied as he walked from the doorway to the orchestra pit.

"I thought they were concubines!" the marine called out again. "They aren't supposed to do that."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.