Crisis at Ishtar - Cover

Crisis at Ishtar

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Joyal

Chapter 49: Last Dances

"Perhaps that is the problem with the research," Major Bonham replied sweetly. "The good scientist is rather stressed due to the importance of his mission and needs a bit of relief."

"Tell him to take two Rolaids and call me in the morning," James growled. I looked over at the twins in confusion. Their faces showed equal confusion. Janet was hunched over. I noticed her shoulders twitching and moved to comfort her, but before I could arrive she threw her head back. Howls of near hysterical laughter poured from her.

"Do what?" the voice of Colonel Johanes filtered out through the laughter.

"Clint," James replied. "I'm about out of patience with your games and ignorance. Now, we told Central Command about the artifacts because we felt they might be important. They sent you so they must have agreed. However, to us the most important thing is to provide what assistance we can to the navy to help defeat the Sa'arm. Part of that requires that we give exhausted crews a place to rest up before they return to the fight. That rest does not including having to fight off some over-sexed fool who is visiting this planet and neglected to bring his own concubines. Now why don't you spend the next few days studying the remnants of an ancient civilization and stay out of everyone's way?"

"I resent the implications you have made. I have an important task to complete here," Governor Johanes snapped. "And while you might encourage overly familiar interactions on this planet, you will extend me proper military courtesy from now on."

Tiffany shook her head. "Yes sir. Right away sir. How much must I chap my lips on your ass sir?"

Everyone in the command post started to giggle. We covered our mouths to muffle the sounds as we listened for a reply. However, James did not respond to the governor's final words. Janet and Monique turned back to their consoles, paying attention to the data coming in from the ships as they made their way towards the docks on Astarte and Inaana.

The governor must have realized how much of an ass he had sounded like, because he left us alone as Janet and Monique guided the ships into parking orbits above the planet. Monique grumbled for over an hour about the trouble she was having getting good scans due to the damaged repeater. Finally the replacement repeater passed the ships and Monique obtained clear scans. Tibet had a couple of buckled armor panels and several gunports needed to be repaired, but none of the ships showed significant damage. She passed this information on to Linus who promised to review the scans as soon as he finished washing his babies. Everyone in the command post giggled when we heard him say that.

Janice dashed in before Linus arrived. She grabbed me in a quick hug and then pulled me to my feet. "Get to the theater," she ordered. "James said we can perform if we want."

"Will Mike and Cleo be there?" I asked.

"They should be on their way," Janice reported. "Right now I'm trying to confirm that all the concubines can show up."

"I know Edith is willing to cover the command post," Janet said. "And I can do a double shift if none of the other unattached concubines is willing to come."

Tamara shook her head. "Not this time. I don't think we can take the risk that our good governor will try to charge us with dereliction of duty. I'll stay here to cover the command post."

"Which means I'll be here as well," Tiffany said. "But don't allow our concubines to back out. I want to hear that Whitney shined. I know she has worked hard on the song that Claire and Marilyn put together for her."

Janice nodded. "We've figured out a place to fit in the song. It's going to be a bit raw though. I don't know if our orchestra knows it."

"We will get through it," I promised. "If I hurry, we can probably practice it a couple times. Which song is it?"

"Marilyn called the song, "A Torch for my Mistress". It's a poem Claire wrote about how much she loves living in our pod," Tamara said.

"Marilyn came up with the tune from one of the old ballads she loves to sing. She changed the tune quite a bit, but the final version is quite good," Tiffany added.

"Sounds like fun," I replied. "I should go though. I need to stop at the pod and feed Madoka before I start to warm up."

I started walking to the doorway. "James said he was going to tell Captain Travis that her people could come down thirty minutes after Cabo is parked in orbit. That's about three hours away, so you don't have to hurry too much."

"That gives us more time to practice the new music," I called back as I left the command center.

The hallways were alive with citizens and concubines dashing around. It was clear that all of the concubines were aware of the promise James had made to allow us to perform the next time Cabo visited. Most of the people out on errands were gathering items for the show, or getting children settled for the afternoon. I ran into Donna, who was walking the halls and letting any citizen she met know that Reggie was going to keep the nursery open. She promised to be helping him along with Shawna and Deb. From the smile she gave me as I passed, it was clear that quite a few citizens had accepted her offer.

I arrived at James' home pod. Bethany and Tina were organizing a small fleet of strollers. The duo looked up as I stepped into our living area.

"Little one!" Bethany called out. "You must be here to feed Madoka and grab your flute."

"Yes," I replied as I looked for my daughter. I did not see her at first and then Kitty strolled out of the bedroom carrying Madoka.

Kitty smiled shyly as she approached and then held Madoka out. I ripped my top up over my head and then reached out to take my daughter. She was not too hungry, but once I had her lips against my right breast, she started to suckle.

Kitty sighed. "I never realized how special it was to feed your own child."

"You should talk," Tina called out. "You have two."

"You can always borrow one," Kitty said. "It's not like I'm going to complain if you do."

Everyone in the room laughed. I moved to sit on one of our couches and then looked around. "Where's James?"

"He snuck out to visit with Yvette," Bethany replied. "He's afraid something will happen despite the lack of protest from the good colonel. I believe he was going to see if Yvette could suggest anyone to act as armed guards at the entrance to the theater."

"Who will it be?" I asked.

"Alexis already said she'd do it," Tina said. "That surprises me considering how little she socialized in the past. I believe Brad is going to agree. James talked to him from here before heading over to Yvette's."

"Brittany is with him?" I asked.

"Yes," Kitty replied. At that moment, Madoka decided she was full and her lips dropped my nipple. She coughed up some milk onto my chest. I gazed down to see her staring at me.

The moment mesmerized me and I sat there holding my precious daughter for a minute. In the background I could hear the others talking, but I ignored it to marvel at my daughter. It was not until a hand waved back and forth between Madoka and me that I looked up. Kitty was standing next to me with a wry smile on her face.

"You didn't hear a word I said, did you?" Kitty asked.

"Wha?" I asked. Beyond Kitty, I could hear Bethany and Tina burst out laughing.

"Nothing," Kitty said with a smile. "I should let you get going. You have several new numbers to work on."

"And little time," I replied with a grimace as Tina gathered Madoka from my arms. "Don't worry," she told me. "James is going to participate in the grand daycare that Reg is setting up. He can't feed our babies, but he promises to do everything else. Madoka will be fine."

I nodded as Bethany pulled me to my feet and thrust my flute case into my arms. "Go!" she ordered.

Tina and Kitty giggled as I turned and ran for the door, instinctively obeying Bethany. I had left the pod and was nearing Yvette's before I finally slowed down. My face burned as I realized that I had accepted Bethany's authority so completely, but kept up a brisk walk through the halls as I made my way to the theater's back entrance.

When I arrived, Cleo and Mickey were waiting by the door. Cleo smiled as I walked up. "Do you really want to perform topless?" she asked.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.