Crisis at Ishtar
Chapter 19: A Moment of Relaxation.

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Joyal

For the next three days, the colony was bustling with activity. Under the direction of Marina, who proved to have been a hotel maid back on Earth before becoming Shawna's concubine, thirty pods were organized, cleaned and prepared for occupation. Most were set up so they had multiple dwellings each set up like a hotel suite with a central meeting and relaxation room and two separate sleeping areas. Others were organized more like barracks with enough beds to handle one of the squads the vice admiral had said were coming.

James and the other citizens helped when they had time. However, they spent quite a bit of time going over maps of the colony, and trying to find out more about our coming guests. What he did pass on was rather disturbing. Colonel Clint Johanes had a reputation for political backstabbing. He was described as abrasive, authoritarian, and quick to take offense. Sad thing was that James remarked that those were the good points the man had. Apparently he had been passed over for promotion twice and was now rather desperate for a major breakthrough he could use to obtain a promotion to flag rank.

The citizens did quite a bit of planning in private. More than one meeting in the briefing room was for the council and selected invitees only. I know that one of the decisions they made was to have a set of flechette rifles put into a rack just inside our main door. An alcove was grown at the intersection and a guard post established. During this time it was only manned a couple times to test out procedures, but it was clear that James and the others were worried.

The worried expressions on the faces of our friends bothered all of the concubines. After the second day of cleaning, Bethany sent out a whispered order that all the concubines should meet in the refuge at the end of the day. So, as each group finished their last rooms and duties of the day, they made their way to our private retreat.

I was one of the first there, as James had ordered me to stay outside the briefing room in case they wanted something. Most of the time I sat and chatted with Candi and Randi who had drawn command post duty, and spent most of their time glaring at the closed door to the briefing room, as Brad was inside.

Candi and Randi arrived at the same time as I did to find that only Bethany was there before us. She smiled as we walked in. "It's quiet now so take advantage of it. Once all the babies are here, it might get a bit noisy."

Candi looked down at her son, sleeping peacefully in a stroller. "We can always retreat to the rehearsal hall if a baby gets too cranky," she said with a shrug. "Hopefully they will stay quiet though."

Bethany shook her head. "We are going to have over fifty concubines in here and all will be talking. The babies will fuss. But I think we need this meeting."

"Why?" Randi asked. "It's not like we can do much."

Bethany shook her head. "We can try to help James and the other citizens relax a bit. There is no question that James is worried and the others appear to be just as worried. If all the information is correct, they have five more weeks of worry to go."

"Five? I thought the Vice Admiral said the ship would take seven to get here," Randi said, and then immediately smacked herself in the forehead. "Never mind. Seven Earth weeks is forty-nine days, which is just over five weeks our time. Just call me a stupid secretary."

"Secretary?" I asked looking at the coed who was wearing an Ohio State cheerleading outfit.

"Damn," Randi said covering her mouth. "I shouldn't have said that."

Bethany just stood silently. I noticed Candi shaking her head and then finally looking at her friend. "You might as well tell them everything Jen. You let the cat out of the bag."

Randi frowned for a moment and then nodded. "I guess I did. Candi and I aren't coeds. My real name is Jennifer. I was a secretary for a law firm when the pickup happened."

"But you've always looked like that," I replied. "And I know that with the apeman roaming it was impossible to get to the med pods for cosmetic work during the run here."

"We were the first sent to the ship," Candi said. "It took more than a week to fill the ship, and during that time Brad was able to get us in for cosmetic work."

Bethany nodded. "And I'm guessing his one request was that you wear the cheerleading outfits."

Candi giggled. "Actually that was our idea. He just gave us bodies that would look good in them. It's funny he was always good at martial arts, but beyond that he was a big kid who had little confidence with women. In a way, we were living The Tradition before we knew what it was. Brad treated us like angels and when we realized just how deep his love of college sports was, and about his endless envy of the guys who got cheerleaders, we volunteered to be his cheerleaders forever."

Randi added her own giggle. "And he just loved the idea of getting to knock up a couple of cheerleaders. It's been great." She looked pensive for a moment. "But I agree it hasn't been that way for the last two days. What should we do?"

Before Bethany could reply more concubines arrived and the conversation was put on hold while we mixed with the others. I noticed that Bethany pulled Janice aside for a brief whispered conversation. The response must have pleased her because she smiled and then began counting who was in the room.

I drifted over by Janice, but my best friend was smiling and holding Joy. "Just wait," she told me.

Finally, Bethany nodded. "We're only missing Ulla and Veronica as they are helping in the command post, but I already talked to them. Everyone, we know about how worried our sponsors are. They are driving themselves hard to prepare for this scientist and his team. It's nice to see that they care, but we can't let them burn out trying to protect us. Now, we have a musical that we were about to perform. What I want is tonight, in your home pod, get your sponsor to promise that tomorrow at eight PM, they will come to the multi-use room."

"Craig, you'll need to get the chairs set up. Everyone who's participating, make sure you can arrive by seven-fifteen and that you have all your costumes ready," Bethany continued. "We only get one chance to do this for the first time, so let's really surprise our sponsors and remind them of why they are fighting."

I smiled as the room filled with cheers. Craig stepped in front of the group and raised a hand. "Now, I'll try to make this quick. The AI unit in the multi-use room already knows what we want the place to look like, and should be making the changes so we'll have a stage and dressing area tonight. All we'll have to do is roll out the lounge chairs and set them up. I know that Yvette will definitely show up. Marie and Estelle have been teasing her for over a week about our project and she's dying with curiosity about what we've all been doing in this refuge."

Tina then raised her hand. " Can I get a bit of help tomorrow around seven? Maggie and I have completed our tapestries and we could present those to James tomorrow night. Unfortunately, when we removed them from the looms, we discovered that it takes several people to carry them unless you want to drag them across the floor. Do you think we can get a few volunteers to help us get them to the show without the citizens knowing?"

"Cleo and I can scout and distract," Bonnie called out. "Especially if we can borrow a few of the older children."

"I can make sure that Lupe, Roge, Jose and Lily are free to play," Bren called out. "Reggie might ask why, but the kids have worked hard the last two days in helping prepare rooms, so he will accept that they need time to play."

"Will they go along with that idea?" Craig asked.

"Oh, they'll love it," Bren said. "They are in awe of the citizens, so a chance to tease them without fear of angering anyone will be a treat."

Bethany smiled. "Good, now everyone head home and make sure that all the citizens will be watching the show tomorrow night."

The crowd started to break up. David and Nathan wandered over to talk with Maggie and Tina. I watched as they led the men into the sewing room and figured that the two men were volunteering to help carry the tapestries. I fought the flow of people and made my way to where Bethany was quietly chatting with Craig.

Bethany was rubbing her hands together. 'I'm so nervous," she blubbered. "This could be something really special, or it might be a complete disaster. I want it to be perfect."

Craig smiled. "Bethany, look over at Janice. We all gave her the duty of directing our little musical. She's the one everyone will blame if it doesn't turn out. Does she appear nervous?"

I looked over at my best friend. She had a small crowd around her. They were engaged in a quiet conversation. From where I was standing I could not hear what was said, but the smiles made it clear that everyone was fairly relaxed. Janice finished one conversation and then looked over at me. A huge smile lit up her face and she ran over to me.

Janice threw her arms around me and kissed me hard. I stumbled backwards as my hands wrapped around her waist. She ignored my stumble as her tongue pressed against my lips. Shocked, I turned my head away as I steadied my feet.

"My love! My dearest and beloved friend," Janice trilled. "I need a huge favor from you tomorrow."

I held her tight and looked into her eyes. They were shining with excitement and lust. "We have a show to put on tomorrow. What will you need me for?" I asked.

Janice giggled and kissed me again. "I want a long cuddle before the show starts," she vamped.

"Janice!" I cried out as I felt the blood rush to my face. My friend giggled and held me tight as I fought to push her away.

"Oh, calm down," Janice said. "That was a joke. The real problem is that we're using just about everyone in the opening number. Right now, out of the concubines in attendance only Cleo, Mickey and you are not going to be on stage. Tracy and Monique are going to man the command post."

"Who?" I heard Craig ask as he walked up to us.

Janice giggled. "Don't you know all of the ladies who joined us when the ceiling collapsed on the other side of the door? Tracy and Monique joined us then. Like the others they needed time to heal, but they volunteered to man the command post so all of us could participate in the show. I thought you knew."

Craig shrugged. "I'm afraid I haven't had the pleasure of talking to them. And if they are anything like the two ladies who came here with Jack, I can imagine that they avoid all men, even male concubines."

"They're worse," Bethany replied. "They are willing to help when they can, but they avoid men if possible. We can't even get them to spend time at the school unless Reggie is at a meeting."

I poked Janice. "Fascinating, but that wasn't what you wanted to ask me." I said with a huff.

"Oh, that's right. We need someone to be an usher before the show. You know, show our masters to their seats and hand them a program," Janice said.

"We have programs for the show?" I asked.

Janice giggled and released me. She dashed over to one of the replicators. A moment later she was on her way back, a small pamphlet in her hands. She thrust it in my direction. "Here!"

I took it and looked at it. The first thing I noticed was the title on the cover; "A Dry Night." Below was some black and white art showing a man crawling towards a bar. The man at the bar had his back to room.

Opening the pamphlet, I found that a careful listing of the participants covered both interior pages. I scanned the list. The main characters went first with David receiving top billing as "Seeker." I looked for my own name and found Meiko on the right page under musicians with Cleo and Mickey.

Finishing my quick glance, I looked up at Janice. She giggled. "See we have programs."

I smiled back. "I guess I can do that. So are we ready?"

"I don't think it will ever be perfect, and for two days we haven't been able to really rehearse, but everyone knows their parts and we've managed to practice all the pieces," Janice admitted. "We'll survive."

I wanted to comfort my friend, but Bethany arrived and put an arm around each of us. "Tina has managed to organize the transport of the tapestries, and Brit and Kit have taken our children home. We should get there and feed them."

I giggled and grabbed Janice's hand, tugging her toward the doorway. She joined in the giggle and we dashed out of the Concubine's Refuge, heading for home.

Once we were in the hallway, I realized that Bethany had remained behind. I glanced back, but Janice urged me forward. "Bethany is waiting for Tina. Tina wanted to make sure the tapestry is ready to be moved."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.