Sing Me a Sad Song
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2012 by happyhugo

Thea and I planned to be gone a little more than a month. I wanted to follow the Buddhist funeral ritual as closely as possible for this was Amaya's religion. It would not be the exact ritual, as she had died without the monks being present to chant the traditional words when a subject lay dying.

I had a responsibility for this, as my father-in-law named me his eldest son and left directions with his attorney. If my son, Ichirou had not died, he would have been the next in line instead of me. Strange, but I would fill in as there was no surviving male in the Akita line.

We arrived in San Francisco on May 22. I assumed Thea had booked two rooms, but Thea had an agenda of her own. I asked her if she was serious and that was what she wanted. "Yes it is Ed."

It was soon to be thinking of the future and we had not had much of a relationship yet. We had declared our love for each other and that was all so far. She was willing to accept that I had a lot of baggage and knew it might be some time before I was relieved of the ties to my past. She was willing to help me through this and wanted to stand at my side. Then we would go forward into the future together.

"Okay, but it is going to cost you."

"What do you mean?"

"I may be wrong in my traditions, but let me explain just a little. I am almost positive that Ichirou Akita, my father-in-law, would have made sure someone was named to bury him if he died. That would first be my son Ichirou as blood heir, but since he also died, it would be me to take up the duties of the Family of Akita. If I marry you in the Buddhist tradition, then you would become a daughter. The daughter pays the funeral expenses. Do not worry, sweetheart, for I brought cash. It will be you who hands it over to the monks. This is to keep the tradition.

"That's crazy!"

"Not much different than paying a priest to have a mass said for a loved one, is it?"

"I guess not. Are you going to marry me in the Buddhist tradition?"

"I'll have to as you only booked one room."

"That is what is called planning ahead. My plan is much better than the last big plan you had."

"You mean, like getting drunk and stepping off the dock at seaside somewhere or stepping onto the tracks in front of an oncoming train?"

"Is that what you planned for suicide?"

"I guess. That was the old me and we all know I was mentally challenged at the time."

"Ed, just how much better will it be marrying me than doing what you just said?"

"A lifetime's difference."

We arrived at the hotel early and went to the dining room for breakfast. "After we eat, we'll go to visit the Buddhist temple. I will talk to one of the monks about bringing the family Akita home. I could leave this for Tony Morgan, the Akita Attorney, but I want to do this on my own. I'll decide then if I should go and escort the remains."

"Do you mean we might have to go to Japan?"

"I don't think you can. You do not have a passport. I will make sure you will be taken care of. I have a special friend here in the city and you can stay with him and his family. I would only be gone four days."

"I want to be with you."

"I know. Lets not worry about that yet."

"We must go to the temple early in the morning." Before arriving at the temple, I instructed Thea on a few basic rules so the monks would not be offended. "A monk would never chastise one, but would have to do a penance to keep him on his path. Again it is a courtesy for us to be aware."

We arrived at the temple and engaged the monk who handled funerals. We came away with a plan for the funeral that was respectful and adjusted to the way these deaths had occurred. Ordinarily this would take place in the home of the deceased before the body was transported. It was then cremated. This was different. These bodies were cremated in accordance with the acceptable rituals already.

How did we know this? This temple was informed of their deaths from the records found with the bodies. The record specifically was a plastic card giving the name and address of the temple here in San Francisco. Something had to be done with the bodies as it took so long to locate me. They were working in conjunction with the Akita's attorney who okayed the cremation.

I would open the Akita house here. When the ashes arrived, a funeral according to ritual would be conducted. I had one choice to make. Assuming I would be in charge, should I have the ashes interred or scattered on water?

I conferred with the monk. "How am I going to get the remains here?"

"You can get stone receptacles to transport the ashes in. I think that would be wise."

"I want to do what is proper and respectful. I loved my family very much. I would like to have them escorted. I can travel to get them and return to hold the funeral."

"That would be a choice or I can have a monk travel with them. He will also have to have a layperson with him. There are certain things that are an offense for a monk while traveling to perform. One of these is coming into direct contact with a woman and another is to handle money. We travel between Japan and here all the time and we have ways to adhere to our rules and beliefs."

I looked at Thea. I already knew her thoughts. My mind went back to the last time I had seen Amaya and the two children. We had said goodbye just before they boarded the plane. I made the decision and looked at the waiting Monk. "Would you arrange to have my family's ashes escorted to the Akita household? I will wait here for their arrival. Please follow whatever your teachings dictate."

"Wise decision my son. Is there anything else you wish?"

"Yes there is. My wife has been deceased for over one year. I have chosen a new mate. My chosen is a widow and she too has chosen me for her mate. I would ask you to perform a Buddhist wedding following the Kwan Um tradition."

"Do you have a marriage license?"

"No. We plan on a religious ceremony in the faith of her church later. We will obtain a license as soon as we return to our home."

"If the ceremony is performed here as you would like, it will not be legally binding."

"We are aware of that. However, we are far from home and intend to sleep together. We do intend to have a long, harmonious and faithful life with each other. By saying the vows, we will be showing each other our respect and love."

Our wedding was lovely. We used the Kwan Um Marriage Ceremony, which is short, yet beautiful. The vows are based on the Eightfold Noble Path:

Buddhist Wedding Ceremony

Views -- We vow in our married life together to continually break through our pre-conceived views of each other and see clearly.

Thoughts -- We vow to let go of feelings that arise from selfish desires, attachments, and fears, so that we can open our hearts to one another.

Conduct -- We vow to be compassionate with one another and with all beings.

Speech -- We vow to refrain from speaking harshly or deceptively to each other or about one another to others.

Livelihood -- We vow to practice peaceful and ethical occupations and to support each other in our work.

Effort -- We vow to support one another in creating a compassionate and loving home.

Mindfulness -- We vow to always be mindful of each other and to let go of our ideas and beliefs so that we can see each other clearly.

Meditation -- We vow to encourage each other to walk the bodhisattva path together.

During the ring exchange, Thea and I made the following additional vows, which are taken from:

The Book of Ruth

"Where you go I will go. Where you lodge I will lodge. Your people will be my people. What you hold sacred I will hold sacred. When you die, I will be there. Nothing but death shall divide us."

We had no time to learn the ritual, but we were able to read them and speak to each other the words.

We left the temple hand in hand and when we reached the taxi, I said, "Now Mrs. Rawlings, let's drive by the Akita household. Then we will arrange to meet with the Akita attorney as soon as possible.

"Whatever you do my husband, it is fine with me. I would make a couple of comments just so I can understand. You left a lot of money in the alms box. Was all of that necessary?"

"Yes. You notice he did not ask to be reimbursed for another monk to escort my wife and family's remains here to the United States. The Buddhist exists on alms such as I presented to him. Years ago and still in some of the poorer countries, the monks exist on the food that is brought to them as alms. I will be giving them much more to conduct the funeral. I imagine Father Akita has alms set aside for his funeral."

"These Buddhist customs are so much different."

"Yes they are. Gautama Buddha lived about 500 years before Christ and that religion has evolved. Different countries practice it in many different ways. Many of the teachings have come down straight from him just as the words in our New Testament came down from Jesus."

I looked at Thea and could see there was more she wanted to ask. I did want to say something before she did. "Thea, I haven't had a chance to court you the way I should. I plan to do that during our long and loving future together. For a long time I did not see you as a woman I would love because I only had thoughts about Amaya. When I awoke from being so ill, you were there. The thoughts of her have receded into the background. You are now foremost in my thoughts and always will be."

"Ed, I was going to ask if you were going to court me. That was my question. I can see I did not need to ask. What you have just said lets me know you love me and you always will. I guess I was pushing you a little hard by only reserving one room. Ed, you just don't know how long I have needed you."

"I need you too. Thea, Mary did not say anything about you caring for me while I was ill. I know now it was you who was there tending me. I do not usually remember my dreams or not the good ones, anyway, but I do remember someone putting a cooling cloth on my fevered brow and telling me, they loved me. It had to have been you."

"I was me. I was so afraid you were going to follow your plan and go look for Amaya. Desperate of me, maybe, but I wanted you for myself. We have helped each other so much, I felt there was a reason and the reason was that we were meant to be together.

"We are, Thea. We were meant to be together and we are."


It had been a busy day and I felt we had accomplished a lot. I was tired and suggested we return to our room in the hotel. I called the attorney's office from there. Tony Morgan had left for the day, but there was a standing order if I ever contacted the office and he was not there they were to patch me through to his home.

"Hello Tony, this is Ed Rawlings. I'm in town." I did not get further than that.

"Jesus Christ Ed, where in hell have you been? I have not heard from you for six months. I've been trying to reach you for that long too."

"Sorry about that, Tony. I have been ill. I almost died in March. I am fine now. The US embassy here in San Francisco went looking for me and they tracked me down."

"What, were you hiding?"

"Not really. I was just out of circulation."

"Well, where were you?"

"I have been living in a small city in the state of Georgia. You do know Amaya and the children have been found, don't you?"

"Yes. The embassy notified me three weeks ago. I okayed their cremation. That was Akita's wishes. How did you find out?"

"I called a friend of mine because I am going back to teaching. The school system had my number after I contacted them for my work history. The embassy was looking for me and got in touch with them getting my address."

"Good, now maybe we can get some things settled. You are heir to the Akita business. I have had everything in my hands since he went on vacation. I have his power of attorney. The courts are slow. I was just about ready to turn things over to you when you disappeared last fall."

"Yes. Well, I said I was sick. I guess you could say I was sick in the head. I lost it when my family died. I almost took myself out."

"I know. I found that out, but you had already left the area. Anyway, I have many details for you to take care of. I assume you want the remains brought back here. That has to be addressed. The business will come to you. You can take it over or put it on the market. Akita had collected quite a few assets and those will come to you as well. You had better come into the office tomorrow and we'll get started on it."

"Okay. I have already made arrangements for the remains to come home."

"Akita and his wife too?"

"Yes, of course. He was as much family to me as Amaya and the kids were. I have talked to the monks at the Buddhist temple he prayed at and all of the remains are being escorted here by a monk from Japan. When they arrive, I'll open the house and we'll have a Buddhist funeral from there."

"It sounds as if you're on top of it. That pretty much follows Akita's wishes. He left detailed directions with me if anything happened while he was away. Akita was about as methodical and organized about everything as I have ever seen anyone. I'd have gone crazy if he hadn't, considering what happened to him."

"Thanks for everything, Tony. I will be in early tomorrow. Oh, for your information, I went through a Buddhist wedding this afternoon. I married the wonderful woman who cured me of my sickness."

"Congratulations Ed. She must be something. I know how much you loved Amaya."

"She is something. She is with me and you'll meet her tomorrow."

I put the phone down and turned to Thea who was sitting in a chair patiently waiting for me to finish my business. "Now my little Theodora who is God's gift to one Ed Rawlings, it is time we got acquainted. We do have a marriage to consummate wouldn't you think?"

"Ed it is way past time. Do you know you have never done more than kiss me a couple of times and hold my hand a few times? I have seen all of you when you were sick, but you have not seen me yet. Would you like to? After all I am your wife."

I grinned. "Not legally, though."

"Close enough for me."

"Me too."

It took a couple of hours to consummate our marriage. We both wanted to go slow, so we didn't rush our lovemaking. We asked each other many questions of what each enjoyed and when we got down to the actual act, it was basic. We were looking forward to a lifetime together and with all indications, we had time.

Thea was a much larger and heavier person than Amaya had been. Amaya had what you would say had a stick figure and only five foot one in height. Her hair was shiny, coal black, straight and her eyes were dark brown, almost black, and slightly almond shaped. She had very small breasts, never larger than an "A" cup. She did have beautiful legs. Way into her twenties, she moonlighted as a model for teen clothes, this even after bearing our two children.

Thea was much the opposite. Her hair was red and had some curl to it. Her blue eyes were lively and sparkled when she smiled. She had fuller and more generous lips and a well-defined chin. Her breasts were not excessively large, but big enough so my eyes were automatically drawn to them. She had a slight protruding tummy with a little excess fat on it. Her butt was wider and the cheeks moved when she walked. The thighs and calves of her legs were well muscled. Some of this may have come from working in the diner for the past year.

I had married this woman and I would not have been able to describe her fully before tonight. I could now. These were just thoughts that ran through my mind. I certainly did not compare the two women aloud. I was always satisfied with the shape of my first wife and I knew I would be satisfied with this one. They were just different in so many ways.

We lay in bed talking afterward. I asked what she thought about having another child sometime in the future. "I'd love to have a baby with you, even two if we can afford it."

"I think we will be able to afford as many as we wish for. Nancy and Matt will be out of college by the time it is time for the next two to go."

"That's going to take an awful lot of money. The Georgia school system isn't known for liberal pay for their teachers."

"We will be able to provide, I promise."

"Ed, I'm hungry. Do you suppose we could get something to eat?"

"I'm hungry too. Let's get dressed and go hunt something up. What are you hungering for?"

"Pizza, definitely some pizza."

"That sounds good. We will have beer with it. How about that?"

"Great, call a cab." We returned before midnight, tired from traveling and everything we accomplished today. We snuggled down and got as close to each other as we could and went to sleep.

I was awake for a bathroom break at 4:30. Thea was up for the same reason. When I came back to bed, I said, "Let's call home and say hi to the kids before they go to school."

Thea got her sister. "Hi Mary, are the kids still home? Tell them that Mrs. Ed Rawlings would like to speak to them."

I heard a squeal and then, "Hey kids, Ed and your mom are married. Come speak to her." After the first excitement, Nancy wanted speak to me.

"Ed, I wanted to be there when mom and you were married."

"You will be, sweetheart. I wanted to show your mom that I loved and respected her, so we went to a Buddhist temple and said the words that would make us husband and wife. We do have to have a more formal ceremony that is recognized and recorded by the legal system. I think your mom is planning on you being her maid of honor. I'm going to have Matt as my best man."

"Are you and mom sleeping together?"

"Yes we are."

"Oh, I'm glad you got married then. I have to go to school now. I hope you come home soon. Bye."

I almost hung up, but Thea grabbed the phone to tell Mary all about the wedding. They were still gabbing when I went back to sleep.

We had breakfast downstairs in the hotel. We arrived at Morgan and Associates law office just before 10:00 o'clock. Tony started right in giving me information about the Akita business and his assets. This was right after he was introduced to Thea. He first told me what was in the will, which stated it all came to me, barring some bequests. The actual reading would be later.

"Ed, I'm really pleased the bodies were found. It has made settling the estate much easier for me. Otherwise, I would have had to go to court and have him declared dead. We knew he was, but we have to conform to certain laws. I have had the devil of a time working within what his wishes were.

"Anyway, I have kept the business intact, by having one of his competitors run it as his own. It is actually worth as much or more now than when Akita died. There is a standing offer by this same person to purchase the business."

Thea asked. "Just what is the business? Ed has never said and you just mention his business never saying what it is."

"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you knew. It is an import, export business dealing in high-end antiquities. When I first learned of Akita's probable demise, I did an inventory of the business and his assets. I have an accounting firm that keeps track of all of the transactions and I get a report once a month.

"You know Akita didn't trust our government too much. He was a small child in one of the relocation camps from 1942 to 1946 in Arizona during the Second World War. He has always kept a large portion of his assets in liquid form. As he got richer, he purchased US silver certificates from those who dealt in them. At first they cost him 50 to 67% over face value. Now to collectors, they are worth 500 to 800 times that depending on condition.

"There is also his home. Ed, you know it well and that is of substantial value. I would say you are worth a considerable amount of money."

"I would say so too. I knew Akita intended for my son Ichirou to have the business and be his partner in later years when he came of age. That was why I named him after his grandfather and not me. I was an Anglo, but my son was of his blood so he took precedent over me in his eyes. We respected each other, mostly because I was willing for Itchy to learn about the Japanese culture.

"He loved his daughter, Amaya, but he was very disappointed in her when she chose me for a mate. He did come to see how much love we had for each other and was happy for both her and me, but it took some time. Tony, how long is it going to take to settle all of this?"

"Three months, anyway. Longer if I have to work with another attorney. Why don't you talk it over with your wife and I'll make time for you tomorrow afternoon. I am the administrator, so if you make your wishes as heir known, I can hand over the estate in whatever form best suits you."

"We will let you know. I need to go to the Japanese Embassy and I want to meet with George Cummings to thank him for being so diligent in finding me. Tony do you have any information on how they died?"

"Yes, I have a copy of the report. The Japanese Embassy will give you the original. The report states that their death was instantaneous. There is a detailed description of how and why they died as they did. Also, why it took so long to discover them. Do not look at the pictures of the location of where they were found, not for a while anyway. In later years, you might when this all recedes into the past for you. Just remember this was a national tragedy and your family was only one of many caught up in it."

"Tony, I'm having the temple where Akita prayed conduct the funeral. May I have the keys to the Akita house so they can come in to get it ready to receive the remains and set up for the funeral? I think the remains should arrive from Japan the day after tomorrow or the next day."

"Sure, I have the keys here. Also keep track of all the alms given except your own personal ones and I'll bill the estate."

I was leaving a lot in Tony Morgan's hands. I knew he was very honest and had been Akita's attorney almost since he passed the bar. He worked almost exclusively with the Japanese. He would know how to notify those who would want to be at the funeral and I was willing to leave this in his capable hands.

I was heir to Ichirou Akita, but that was immaterial to the Japanese, as I only had married into the family. It almost boiled down to me being just an observer who would pay the bills.

Thea and I traveled by taxi. This was an expensive way to get around the city, but the most convenient. We arrived at the US embassy and had a few minutes to thank George Cummings. He questioned which Japanese embassy I wanted to visit. There was a consulate here in the city at 50 Fremont St.

We arrived at the consulate, and were met and ushered into a room where a staff member first uttered his condolence. I thanked him. He then described what the investigation revealed when the vehicle all of my family was in was found.

"Apparently Akita was driving in a small vehicle when they realized they was an event happening behind them. Another two miles and they could have been safe -- maybe. We surmise someone in the rear seat alerted the driver, and he pulled into the shadow of a factory building on the far side from where the tsunami was approaching. He would not have known it, for the ground was soft there. I will get to that in a minute.

"The wall of water hit the factory on its longest side pushing first the first wall over and when the roof assembly started to cave in it pushed the farther wall over onto the vehicle your family was in. Death had to be instantaneous. The cement wall was so heavy, it pushed the car down below the ground level with a portion of the roof on top of. It was a horrendous way to die. Please don't forget that all the deaths were horrendous."

"I know. I am just thankful that they were found. I am thankful if they had to go, it was quick, and most of all I am thankful they were not separated and were together. It has been a long difficult time for me this last year. I feel their spirits combined kept me from wanting to join them. It was so close though."

"I understand. I am going to turn the report over to you of how they were found. Also the investigation that determined how they died. Some of it is assumption, of course. However, it is much more detailed than those of others compiled immediately following the disaster. We have your family's effects here, which do not consist of very much. Most organic fibers deteriorated. Coins, jewelry and plastic items survived. The Akita name was known in Japan as he had a representative there. The temple's name was found on a card in the wallet."

"I appreciate all you have done. Would you thank the Consul and the rest of his staff for me?'

"That will be done."

We left there and I directed the taxi to take us to the Akita compound. On the way I had it take us by my former home. A teacher I knew of and his family now owned it. I had met them when we signed the papers. It was troublesome driving by, but I knew the house did not hold anything for me anymore. It made me sad and Thea held tight to my hand. I did not shed tears. Thea did and leaned over and laid her head on my chest.

We arrived at my father-in-law's house. Thea got out of the taxi on her side. I had to walk around as I had been sitting behind the cabbie. She stood there just looking. The house was low in front, only one story. There were no windows on the street side. The house was constructed of wood. Set back from the front section there was a two-tiered pagoda rising in the rear. This was a house of someone with Asian descent. You would never see anything like this in Georgia.

There was the same type of tiny roof over the double front entrance that brought the whole structure into alignment. To each side of the doors were vertical panels extending out to the neighboring residences.

"Everyone comes in through the front door? Thea asked."

"No, the rear entrance opens on the alley behind the house. I wanted you to see how attractive the building is from the front." We entered into an Antrim and removed our shoes, putting on slippers lined up on the side. The huge room was light and you could see tended flower gardens outside to left and right. There was a stone Buddha image sitting in a shallow alcove directly ahead in the back wall. It had a small Dias in front of it lower than the one the Buddha sat on.

This was a large room and I felt that it was an appropriate setting for the funeral of the Akita family. Amaya had lived here only briefly after it was constructed. This was while she was finishing high school. She had returned for visits, of course and had her own room, but I had captured her heart and we made our own way. She had confided in me that it was a beautiful dwelling but she never felt comfortable living there.

I passed quickly across the room with Thea following me. We went into the living apartment of the Akita family. This was to the left. Here all of the furniture was of western culture i.e., tables and chairs of the highest quality and design. As were the appliances. I walked around, inspected the cupboards, and even opened the refrigerator. All were bare. Everything shone with polish. It must be that Mrs. Cho still came in to care for the house.

I walked through the bedrooms and into a small light room where my mother-in-law did her painting. This was her hobby and she was quite good. It was a tradition for Geisha to take up something like this when not otherwise occupied. "Mrs. Akita trained as a Geisha, but left it when she met Ichirou Akita when he came to Japan one time. She was training to be a true entertaining Geisha not one who was a prostitute. There are so many different kinds Geisha it is hard to explain. Of course she may have been one who was, but this is what was related to me."

"Did she only work in water color?"

"I believe so. When we get to the storeroom, you will see a few pictures arranged on the wall. That was the only place she had a showcase for them."

"Ed, I don't think I could ever live in a house such as this. It seems so formal."

"I know what you mean, my wife felt the same way. She was more westernized. Akita was too, but his wife was a bride from Japan and she held to the ways she was raised. Come we will go into the other wing. You will feel as if you are walking into a museum. Akita has glass cases where he displayed his artifacts that his agents in China, India, Korea, and of course Japan, found for him to buy and later sell."

Just then, the door from the garden opened and this tall angular woman entered. She paused, surprised that someone was present besides herself.

"Mrs. Cho, did I startle you?"

"Yes, for a moment you did. Mr. Rawlings, I am so sad for the loss of your family."

"Thank you. It has been a long and difficult time for me. I was sick for many months. This lady with me helped me recover. Mrs. Cho, please meet my new wife, Theadora Rawlings. Thea, Mrs. Cho."

"I am pleased to meet you. Do you stay here?"

"Oh, no, I have a family of my own in the Korean quarter of the city. I work as housekeeper for the Akita. I also oversee the gardeners and do dusting in the storeroom. It hasn't been difficult now that master is not in residence."

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.