Travels - a Story of Jai - Cover

Travels - a Story of Jai

Copyright© 2012 by Da Womby

Chapter 3: Escape

I looked around the room, studying with all my senses; biological, esoteric and built in. The walls were strong and the only weak points I could perceive would only be breached by high energy force ... explosives would work, but I had none.

The door was strong, stronger than the walls, as was the lock. The hinges were the weak point. Why don't people ever reinforce the hinges? Using full Battle Form I could set up a resonance that would cause the hinges to shatter with the right push.

As part of our early training and schooling, Fendaril children are tested for what is known as their "Natural Ability". Everybody has something they are just naturally good at. The Fendaril educators have raised the detection and nurturing of this ability to a high art. Some people are Political Adepts, some have affinity to one or more of the esoteric forms or even weapons. whatever it is, they will find it and help to exploit it. The child may decide not to use it in a career path, but in a meritocracy like the Fendaril every advantage helps.

My ability allowed me to detect weakness in an object. I could see the weak point and with training I can exploit it. This is good for me, as when I join the Military, and I will, I want to be a Sapper. Mum makes stuff to blow things up, I want to blow them open. For the last 12 years I've had extensive training from my bodyguards in explosives; modern, ancient and improvised. Combined with my ability I can open nearly any door and put it anywhere in the room I want. I know just where to hit something to break it gently or forcefully.

I've also been trained in unarmed combat and some weapons. The Fendaril are an armed society. As an ancient author once wrote: "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." (Robert Heinlein). I've been trained to use pistols, rifles and swords. Fendaril like pointy, cutting things. I've followed my mother and have taken up two swords ... A Whistler and the Dae-Mon Sliding Blade.

The Sliding Blade is like a Bo Staff, but made into a blade where the grip can slide to adjust the length. A 3 meter blade, it's a little large for my current form, even if I could make one.

The Whistler is different. A triangular blade, about 1 - 1.5 meters long, it is made from toughened glass. It gets its name from holes along the length that make a characteristic sound when it is used. The good thing is, as it's made of glass I can reproduce it while I'm in silicon form easily. I just have to adjust the size to my new body. it's wielded as a one and a half sword in the "Inward" cut style favoured by many Fendaril.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.