One Month of Chuck & Steve - an Alternative Scenario - Cover

One Month of Chuck & Steve - an Alternative Scenario

Copyright© 2012 by Robin_dualwritersguest

Chapter 15

LUTZ

CHUCK - Day Ten Part #3

Lisa did not come to the patio for breakfast with me and the family this morning, but after making a light meal for the girls and herself, she took them to the doctor's office so that his experienced nurse could check their wounds. After that, she brought them out to Lutz since her next priority was to review the new job applications from ex-military aircrew and mechanics.

At the patio, my three new security men arrived in the cart carrying the breakfast sandwiches. Buster and Mac came to join me, while Colin went over to talk with Hap. It was good that those two are obviously getting along, or otherwise there could be a lot of friction.

Buster, Mac, and I went over everything that had to be done today, and after a quick second cup of coffee, I took them over to the airpark to get them checked out on the 737 that I had ordered the night before. It was our original -700C in the luxury seating configuration, so I hoped the NSA people would enjoy their trip.

Colin had a quick word with me before we left, then went off with Hap to check out his operation. I asked Hap to bring him out to the airpark when they finished.

I next went to my office and talked to Marty, one of my two accountants. His friend, Bart Moleson, had left with Tiny earlier, headed for the Valley. I'd hardly got started on the list of phone calls that Jane had stacked for me, when I got another call from my Secret Service contact.

He was calling this time to warn me that the Pentagon was activating Operation 'Black Mongoose', as they called it; the movement of a whole Airlift Wing from Charleston and a Brigade Combat Group from Fort Bragg to the Junction. He even said that the VP might be visiting them there. Wow.

I mentally spoke to Mercy, asking her to get Steve up. It was only about 0530 in Nevada. I then called him on his cell to warn him about what I'd just been told. I don't think he believed me. How funny.

That done, I could get back to Jane's list, but I called Metarie White of the Government Employment Agency first, to invite her to join Colin and me later that morning to discuss recruiting for our CS&S Security Guard Force. That seems like a good enough name, so I'll use it.

My second call was to Wanda, who reported that all was quiet with the Marshal's Service, but asked if I could I speak to Sarah about some people she was supposed to swear in that afternoon? I got myself transferred and Sarah agreed with my suggestion that she come out to Lutz to do it, rather than have the 23 new men invade the Federal Building.

After I'd finished talking to Sarah and bringing her up to date, Betty walked in. When I got her seated and we both had cups of coffee, she started.

"Everything is fine, and I'm really pleased to have Lisa's friend, Sookie, helping me," she said. "This has made a great difference, but I really do need another assistant; someone who can make decisions. But when is Jimmy or Tank going to be back, because the maintenance division is beginning to need them. Joy is doing a great job, but her heart is with the rotary birds."

"Jimmy will probably be home with Steve tomorrow," I told her, "But I'll get hold of Tank at Spring Field and tell him to catch the next available commercial flight back here. I'm sorry, I should have thought of this before."

I then gave Betty a quick rundown on everything that had happened in the last week, and asked her to arrange the conversion of the next six Lears, five G-5s (or 550s), and four B200s, to the luxury 'club' model. We didn't actually have the aircraft yet, of course, but Bill Bates at Spring Field seemed to have the contacts to ensure our needs were fulfilled. I asked her to get the materials ordered so that work could start as soon as the aircraft arrived.

I had hardly put the phone down, when Lisa stuck her head around the door.

I called her in, and welcomed June and Louisa (she said she liked to be called 'Louie') who were like her shadows. I invited them to sit down while Lisa and I went through our business.

"I only have raw figures at the moment," Lisa began. "Our recruitment campaign has only been running for five days, but it's already obvious that it's going to be a major success."

She gave me a paper with all the figures, and quickly ran through them:-

Fixed Wing Multi-Engine Pilots

Commercial 17

Instructors 6

Others 13

Fixed-Wing and Rotary Pilots

Commercial 16

Instructors 8

Pilots 18

Rotary Only Pilots

Commercial 10

Instructors 7

Pilots 19

Pilot/Mechanics

Fixed & Rotary 9

Fixed Wing only 10

Rotary only 11

Mechanics

Fixed & Rotary 11

Fixed Wing only 12

Rotary only 13

Totals :

Pilots – 114

Mechanics – 66

The figures included the 12 pilots who had already been hired at Spring Field, as well as Star's additional three rotary mechanics. Lisa said she wanted Jimmy and Tank to interview the other candidates for The Junction, including some crew chiefs.

"Jane and I will have to go through all the resumes," she continued. "We need to find out which pilots already have full Airline Transport Ratings. My initial impression is that there were quite a few that do; and we also need to identify those mechanics with Boeing certifications. That is our next task and I'm getting the two girls here to help.

"Just so you know, there are far more vets looking for work than we can ever hope to employ ourselves. Why don't we start a special employment agency to help the others?"

I thought this was a great idea, so after they left, I phoned Carlos Rodriquez to see if he could suggest a man to run this operation. He immediately mentioned someone he knew who he thought would be just the person I was looking for. He was an ex-USAF transport pilot now in the HR department of the airline Carlos currently works for. His name was Bruce Rogerson, and Carlos would sound him out and get him to call me if he was interested. Carlos was sure he would be.

Next, Colin and Hap arrived and suggested that the three of us drive around the airpark to see what was needed security-wise. By the time we'd gone all the way around the perimeter, with Colin taking copious notes, Betty phoned to report that Metarie had arrived.

Back in my office, I introduced Colin to Ms White.

"I've already received a number of applications," she began, "And following a briefing from my bosses in DC, I can now divide these into two groups. Applications that I would expect to receive in the normal course of business, and those that I now know to be the special ones. Just how many men do you need?"

"Although I'll need to go through all the applications," Colin explained, "It is, of course, the special ones that I'm really interested in. We've haven't come to a decision about numbers yet, but I'm already getting an idea of what's required. But I think we need to establish some principles.

"First, safeguarding airfields is a specialized business, and we'll definitely need an Air Police, or Air Force security specialist at each location. Second, I don't want Marines commanded by anyone other than their own NCOs."

I immediately agreed with this.

"Security is a 24/7 affair," Colin continued, "I expect many of our recruits will be married, so I think we should plan on employing enough men so each one only works, say three days out of four in normal circumstances."

Metarie nodded her agreement.

"I think we should get an Air Force E-6 or 7 as my number two here at Lutz, and have Marine E-5 Sergeants as team leaders. From what I understand about the other locations, I think we'll need two slightly smaller groups in Hawaii, and at The Junction. Because there are two sites in the Valley, we'll need a greater number of men there. I understand that I'm not concerned with Halcyon at the moment. I'd like Marine E-6s in charge at each location, with Air Police E-5 Sergeants assisting them."

"This is good so far," I told him, "But please continue."

"Lutz has two entrances that have to be covered," he went on. "I gather you operate both at night and during the day, so that means three shifts; no four, since we'll need another one to provide relief so one shift can be resting each day. I'm planning at the moment for each shift to be composed of seven men (one Sgt, four men on the gates, and two in a vehicle). At the beginning, I don't think we'll need such large teams at the other locations; twenty men in 4 teams each led by a sergeant or senior corporal should be OK, with double that in the valley."

"I think that sounds reasonable," I remarked, "However, as you and your number two will be moving around, Colin, we should also have an E-7 in charge here at Lutz, assisted by a E-6 Air Police specialist."

I was adding up the figures, which came to a total of 118 men.

I paused and looked at Colin first, then at Metarie.

"Do you think you can get all the qualified men we need quickly enough for them to be in place within two weeks?" I asked.

"If my DC sources can be believed," Metarie assured me, "This should not be a problem."

At that moment, her cell phone rang, and after a quick conversation, she told Colin that our higher-ups had already anticipated his requirements. His senior Air Policeman (an E-7 Master Sgt., she thought) was here in Tampa. Where did he want to interview him?

"There are about twelve men here in Hap's existing S&S security group, whom he thinks are candidates for our own force," Colin told me. "They are all ex-Marine Special Forces and Hap says they were members of the group that went up to Cut Bend with you a few weeks ago. He intends to fill his vacancies in from Metarie's 'regular' candidates, and will be asking Steve Sharp's permission to recruit more. He says that now he not only has to cover the new yacht club, but he's getting more outside inquiries than he can handle with his present staff. I must say I'm impressed at the reputation his men obviously have here in Tampa."

I stood, and after thanking them for the presentation, suggested they get together to make it happen.

Colin came back an hour later. He was accompanied by another middle-aged, but very broad man, with a totally bald head. Despite his size, he looked very fit. As the man didn't look too comfortable in a sport jacket and slacks, I decided that this must be our new Air Police Master Sergeant.

Colin introduced him as Siggy (short for Sigurd) Haraldsen. He was of Norwegian descent and was, as I had surmised, Colin's prospective number two.

After only a quick look inside his head, followed by a short chat, I decided that Siggy was the perfect man for us, so I promptly hired him.

I had just done this, when Betty called to say that there was an Air Force C-37B in the pattern, and the pilot was asking if Mr. Chuck Johnson was on the base. When he was told that I was, the pilot requested immediate landing instructions.

We watched the aircraft land, then two men disembarked and were brought to my office.

As soon as the two entered, Siggy began to laugh, and after vigorously shaking the two men's hands, he introduced them as Captain Jack Merchant, and Staff Sergeant Hank Smith, from the Air Force's 341st Training Squadron, which handled all K-9 training for the US Government.

When we were all sitting down and our guests had fresh cups of coffee, Jack Merchant opened the discussions.

"I don't know what all this is about," he began, "But I was called last night by the Base Commander, no less, and ordered to be at Base HQ first thing this morning, where I was to board a plane for Tampa, with Sgt Smith here.

"Nobody from the 341st has ever been ferried anywhere in a C-37 before, so I assume this is urgent? My orders are to cooperate with Mr. Johnson here in any way we can, which includes supplying him with men and dogs."

Siggy looked to Colin for a lead, and following his nod, he told our guests about our problem and what we were trying to do with DC's active support.

"So," the Air Force Captain mused. "You certainly need dogs. I now understand the urgency, since you'll be exposed at all your locations, both before you get your men on the ground and later.

"I think they'll need both patrol dogs, and 'Sniffers'; what do you think, Sergeant?"

"Yes, I agree."

He turned to us to explain.

"Patrol dogs are trained to attack, whereas sentry dogs are not. In addition, you'll probably be exposed to assaults by terrorists using both explosives and drugs, so you'll also need animals trained to detect both. That's their latest trick, by the way."

Before any of us could say anything, Capt. Merchant continued.

"I think what's needed are groups of three handlers and dogs at each location, two for patrol and one Drug and Explosive Detection team each. I've been told to choose men who are almost due to be mustered out, but who have younger experienced animals. I think we need to find some of our own specially bred Belgian Malinois for this job."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.