Duel and Duality; Book 1 of Poacher's Progress
Chapter 12: Alarms and Excursions

Copyright© 2012 by Jack Green

Historical Sex Story: Chapter 12: Alarms and Excursions - Follow Jack Greenaway, lawyer's apprentice and poacher, from Lincoln to Waterloo and beyond, as he experiences the life and loves of a soldier in Wellington's army, in war and in peace. He battles with Napoleon's troops abroad and Luddites at home, finds his true love (twice!) and eventually faces his nemesis on the duelling ground. All references to snuff in this novel apply to the tobacco product, and should not be confused with 21st Century usage.

Caution: This Historical Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Heterosexual   Historical   Oral Sex   Violence   Prostitution   Military  

In some ways the affair, if it can be designated as that, between myself and Jenny Makepeace was continuing along the same mundane course as the battalion's interlude along the canal. We, that is the officers and men of the battalion, had eased into a comfortable routine; guards were mounted and patrols sent out with the absence of any excitement -- as between Jenny and me. The men had become complacent, and their duties were not being carried out with the vigour and exactitude as should have been exercised -- as between Jenny and me.

This state of affairs came to a sudden and dramatic end in the middle of December. Pewsham Top lock, situated at Chippenham on the Wiltshire and Berkshire canal, was attacked, and this time larger charges of gunpowder were used, with catastrophic effect. The lock gates were blasted to splintered wood, and a huge wall of water cascaded down the canal, damaging those locks, Pewsham Middle and Pewsham Bottom, just below the wrecked one.

All regiments posted along canals were precipitated into feverish activity by what had happened. Guards were doubled; canal boats were searched, any suspicious person within a hundred yards of a canal was stopped and questioned.
Pewsham Top lock had been guarded, by a company from the 41st Foot, and a Court of Inquiry was assembled to investigate the circumstances of the destruction of the lock.
General Picton was appointed the president of the court, and he came down on the unfortunate 41st like the Assyrians came down on the Israelites. The Lt. Colonel of the battalion was retired on half pay; the company officers who had charge of the lock were posted to the West Indies, which amounted to a death sentence, and those men who were actually on guard at the time of the attack were sentenced to be shot for dereliction of duty. This sentence was commuted to a hundred lashes each, which at least two of the men didn't survive. General Picton made it known that he would not be so lenient towards any future derelictions of duty.

The arrangement I had made with Braxton-Clark's lieutenant, Swithin Blaydon, that his men guarded Wooten Bottom lock, had held, up until then. I'm sure that Lieutenant Blaydon had informed Braxton-Clark of my letter, but Braxton-Clark took scant notice of anything to do with carrying out his military duties. He was still living at Braxton Hall, still riding to hounds twice weekly and, according to local gossip, was desperately trying to get his fiancée to move into the Hall and marry him. She was currently accompanying her father, who was visiting his physician in Harley Street, London. However, the furore over the attack on the Wilt's and Berk's canal had even Braxton-Clark looking to his duty. He rode over to the Anchor Inn on the morning of December 18th, not long after I had finished my breakfast.

"See here Greenway (sic)", he blustered. "I'm not having my men guarding that damn lock you foisted on Blaydon. Should anything happen to Wooten Bottom lock I will make it known I was not in charge." He didn't give me time to reply before spurring his horse away.

Jenny had seen him ride up.

"Is that the officer from Wedhampton, -- Braxton-Clark?"

I nodded.

"Will he make trouble for you?"

I nodded.

"I know his sort. He looks like a gentleman but acts like a scoundrel."

I nodded.

"You don't say a great deal Jack, but will you be ready for a good galloping later this evening?"

I nodded, vigorously.


Three days before Christmas Eve there was an attack on one of the locks that made up the largest flight of locks at Caen Hill. Fortunately, the guards were alert and challenged the approaching men. Shots were exchanged, but no damage was done to any of the locks, although a barrel of gunpowder, with a fuse attached, was left behind as the attackers fled the scene.

My company was on high alert, but we had surmised the more important locks near Devizes would be the prime target. However, a day after the attempt at Caen Hill, Adjutant Frederick Bywaters arrived at the Anchor Inn. He had travelled from Devizes by express barge; the sixteen mile stretch between Devizes and Burbage allowed barges to make the journey in a good time, as there were no time consuming locks to navigate. An express barge, pulled by two horses which were changed half way along the stretch, could make the trip in less than two hours. Black Fred was in a black mood, especially as he had noticed that Wooten Bottom lock was unguarded. I told him how Braxton-Clark had altered my arrangement with Lieutenant Blaydon.

"He's a damn nuisance." Black Fred said with a scowl. "However it would be pointless asking my father to order Braxton-Clark to take over the responsibility. My father believes that his officers should make their own arrangements, even with a man like Braxton-Clark. Anyway, should he order him to guard the lock it might be taken, especially by Braxton-Clark and his cronies, that my father was favouring you, on account of your family connection with our steward."

I said that my men would keep a watch on the lock, from a bridge about fifty yards away from it. This was the best I could do with the men I had available; certainly not enough men to take over the guarding of Wooten Bottom lock.

Frederick Bywaters was no fool. He had read all the reports of the attacks, and attempted attacks, on the canal system in Wiltshire and Gloucestershire, and had noticed a pattern of events. He believed that the attackers must have observed the behaviour of the sentinels at the target locks for a week or more, noting the times when the guards were changed, or when a guard slips off to relieve himself, or just dozes off. They would draw attention away from their intended target by making a feint attack on a lock some distance away from it, and then, knowing the behaviour of the sentries at their target lock, would carry out a successful attack.
The reason for his visit was to put me, and the men that guarded the three locks that led up to Bruce Tunnel, fully alert as to the likely sequence of events in any assault.

"I think that the Caen Hill attack was a feint." Black Fred announced, after he had explained the method of the attackers.
"The real attack will be here; possibly at Wooten Top lock. If they can explode a large enough charge the gates will be destroyed, and the huge volume of water released will rush down the flight of locks, damaging the gates and winding gear of those lower locks as well, as happened at Chippenham. I'm convinced that this the intended target, and I certainly don't want you to take men away from here. I will give Braxton-Clark, or his lieutenant if he is not available, orders to guard Wooten Bottom lock, and if he has any complaints of favouritism then damn him to hell!"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.