Middle Years
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2012 by JPM

My little sister is the bomb! She is caring, loving and sweet. She is a supportive and dedicated mom; a loyal friend to those she befriends. Sure, we had our moments while growing up. But she was always my bestest little sister in the world.

She is also reading along to my little history project.

I had mentioned at some point our plans to go out to dinner. We finally succeeded! I say that with sincerity. I always have something come up to delay our getting together. Like my little excursion to help with the kayak. We were going to do lunch that day. It didn't happen since I was "on a mission."

So, we went out to an early dinner. A little Italian restaurant. Hmmmm. For some silly reason I just remembered Billy Joel. Oh how I loved his music. I'll need to listen to some of his songs now.

Anyway, she was asking me how I was doing? We were chatting and she wanted to clear up some of my memories. Like our little trip with our father to Wildwood. That first summer we camped. Oh man, did that suddenly open up some more of my memories. The little tent that the El Camino could fit into; it gave you an elevated sleeping area. And the following summer we did stay at a hotel. Only it was the Park Lane and not the Pall Mall. And the summer after that we stayed somewhere else that neither of us can recall.

So last night I'm in bed. I had read a little and fallen asleep. Suddenly my phone gave off its little message alert. I jumped out of bed and picked up my phone. It was a text from sis making sure that I am okay. It was 1:49am! I knew immediately to call her. I assured her that I really am doing better. She had heard about Junior Seau and was concerned with his "positive" attitude before he allegedly took his life. I have not visited that place and am remarkably fine in that regard. There are no thoughts, no plans, to do something that extreme. I really am feeling the best that I have in a very long time.

We discussed so many things and I've tried to write down most of it. I think one that really stayed with me was my work history.

I entered the work force when I was 14. I guess like most kids I wanted some spending money. I also wanted to save up for things. I do not recall what those 'things' were at this time but I know we all had them. The chronology isn't very important. Just the mix of all that would come down that road for me.

I worked in a library, a shoe store, a condominium (doorman), gas station (rental car agent and gas jockey), mom and pop store, and a restaurant (dishwasher).

I joined the Big Blue family in 1982 and was there until the first round of layoffs in 1993. I jumped to Merrill Lynch and was there until 2000. I then took consulting jobs from 2000 until 2006. My latest job, in the dialysis/medical industry, took me up to my breakdown in 2011. Thus, I know a lot about everything! LOL Or is it a little about everything?

I have met, and been friends with, many wonderful people over the years. And as I sit here, I realize I do not know what happened with the majority of them. We all live our lives in this mad dash to the finish line and I someday hope to know more about those people I "grew up" with.

The constant is family. And I hope to reassure my little sister that I'm here for the long haul.

I'm busy writing more down for future installments. As I get more done I will post it on here. In the meantime, I have a livingroom to paint. I shall return!

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.