An Unlikely Hero
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2012 by 2 flags

The party rode along the track towards the slavers' farm. Robert had offered to show them the way. As they approached a fat slatternly woman barred their way.

"Who are you? And what do you want?" she yelled at them. It was then she spotted Robert. "What you doing here you thieving bastard? We ain't buying any of your horses, and we ain't selling any of ours."

"Got some bad news for you Amy. These fellers killed Peitri, Rubin and Roger. They've come to claim the farm. I always told you slaving was a bad way to make money." He told her.

The colour drained from her face. She turned and ran screaming towards the house. "Mary, Sheila, these bastards have killed the men folk."

Robert spurred his horse towards her, drew his club, and hit her on the back of the head. She collapsed onto the ground "Get to the house quickly, there's a good chance they've got crossbows in there."

They rode swiftly towards the house, well Paul, Robert, Derek and Karen did. The others just made their way as quickly as they could. As they approached the house a crossbow bolt was fired from the doorway, just missing Robert's ear. They charged the door, knocking the woman over before she had time to reload. Just then another woman appeared carrying a crossbow. Amanda grabbed a jug from the table and threw it at her, hitting her and causing the crossbow to fire into the floor. She too was quickly overpowered before she could reload.

They rounded everyone in the house up into the large living area. The group consisted of the three women and several sullen faced children.

"We are here because your men folk were engaged in slavery." Tom told them. "We have killed them because they tried to kill us. That, according to your laws and customs means that everything they owned now belongs to us. It means that this farm and everything in it, including yourselves, belong to us. Can any one of you give us a good reason why we shouldn't sell you all into slavery?" He looked into their eyes one by one until they looked away. "We are going to question each of you one by one and decide your fate. Remember your men have killed loved ones of some of us just to sell others into slavery. Rape is another of their crimes, so don't expect much in the way of mercy or compassion."

They took the women off to another room one at a time and questioned them about what they knew. The first was Amy, the fat woman they met at the gate. She was Pietri's wife and very angry and aggressive. "I shan't tell you anything!" she yelled

"It's very simple" Tom told her. "If you refuse to help we will simply throw you and your children out with just the clothes on your back, maybe not even that. Who knows, perhaps the Stinking Fish could use a new whore. It wouldn't be difficult to improve on the current one. So tell us what we need to know or you and your children might just find yourselves living there."

She looked at him horrified "You wouldn't do that, you wouldn't do that to my children would you?"

"Why not? You and your husband were quite happy to do it to others. Why should it be different for you?" Tom asked her "Now then; we want to know where are the goods that he stole from all the folks in the other room?"

"Don't know, you'll have to ask him won't you." she answered sneeringly

"Is that elder girl yours? How old is she, twelve? Thirteen? I wonder how she'll feel after a couple of months in the Stinking Fish? Especially if she knows that it was you who put her there. Now, I'll ask again, where are their things?"

"Some of the things he sold to the traders at the docks, but some of them are in the large barn out back. Most of the animals are there. He was going to take them down and do a deal with those traders wanting to travel inland." She told him.

"I hope you're telling the truth, if not your going to regret it." Tom told her.

The next to be brought in was Mary. She was younger than Amy and not as fat.

"So Mary, I'll ask you the same things as Amy and I'll give you the same choices. Tell us what we want to know or you and your children are out of here with just the clothes on your back. Maybe you can earn a living at the Stinking Fish. If you lie to us or refuse to answer then that's where you'll end up."

"We kept some of them in the large barn, but most were sold. Don't know what happened to the money, must have buried it somewhere, but don't ask me where." She told them.

"You don't seem that bothered that he's dead." Said Tom.

"No, not really, although Sheila's the one who'll be gladdest. He was a real evil bastard, her Rubin. Sometimes you could hear her screams ring right through the house. The bruises could take days to heal, weeks sometimes. She'll be over the moon, once she gets over the shock."

Sheila was brought in next and she confirmed what Mary had said. They searched the house and barn and found some of the things that had been stolen. As they looked over the farm it was obvious that it hadn't been worked properly and that the family's income came from theft and slavery.

The freed slaves went into the bedrooms of the house and took whatever clothes they could find to fit them. They took all of the men's clothes and most of the women's. This caused some muted protest but faced with the prospect of being paraded naked throughout the port seemed to quell the argument. A large amount of booty was discovered in the barn including furs, food, tools and packhorses. Also they found two large wagons and their teams. The wagons and horses were loaded and whilst this was carried out Amy, Mary and Sheila were made to prepare food for them all, under supervision, of course.

After the meal it was getting late, so it was decided that they would spend the night and leave two hours before sunrise. During the meal Robert was talking to Sheila, she was the youngest and prettiest of the three. They went off together for a while and just seemed to stroll around outside. When they returned Robert had a proposal for them.

"I like the look of this place. It's got real potential. Properly run this could be a real good place. It's got good fertile soil, and there's plenty of water for irrigation, Yes; given time, this could be a proper family home," he told them. "Tell you what, I'll let you keep the horses I rented you, and give you twenty conch for the place. I know it's worth more that that but it's all I've got. Also I've had my eye on Sheila for some time, and its disgusted me how he treated her. But with Peitri and all his friends, well there wasn't much I could do."

Tom looked at Sheila and asked, "How do you feel about this?"

"How do you think I feel? That bastard used to beat me, and much worse. Only two of the children are mine, and he started looking at Amy's girl. It was only the fear of Peitri that stopped him. He took me on a raid. I was travelling with my Uncle and his sons when we were taken. They were sold to slavers and he took me as his woman. My life with him has been rape, pain and fear. The only good thing to come out of it is my children. Robert's a good man, and after what I've been through I'm willing to take a chance."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.