Always on Guard - Cover

Always on Guard

Copyright© 2012 by Jay Cantrell

Chapter 50

Jorgarn was not surprised that the makeshift manor houses in the four territories were deserted. There was barely a scrap of firewood to be found in any of them. He knew Osper and Thane were dead, killed by Fieth and Lippit during the battle, and Borsik's son was captive – or executed – at the capital. He also knew that, given the newness of the land holdings, there was little of value that didn't belong to the families beforehand. So he wasn't concerned when the material possessions were gone.

There were many surprised looks on the faces of the commoners when the army rode through. Many of them had seen the tunics before – years prior when they had been conquered. The commoner's lot had not been any better under Emerti rule than it had been under Salarian. Jorgarn's anger rose as he saw the hovels that looked even worse now than they had when he rode through the land the first time. It was especially squalid in the areas governed by Thane and Wallingford – two areas near Freeland that had refused trade offers.

"We need to see to these people," Jorgarn insisted as they stopped at what had passed for Wallingford Manor. "It is a travesty. Look at how they live. Can we do nothing to help them?"

"I am going to ask for craftsmen from Freeland to come down to assist in rebuilding their homes," Torbert said. "This land is too hilly and rocky for much farming so commerce here is weak. That was the problem when it was Salaria."

"The woods could be used for bows," Pernice pointed out. "Perhaps we can work something out between them and Merg. Leyota said we are doing well with foodstuffs. I think the army should leave its provisions here and in Thane. Can we think of nothing these people can raise to support themselves?"

"The lands of Thane and Wallingford have new Lords coming soon," Torbert said. "It will be up to them to decide what to do. But the idea of trading with Freeland is a good one. Let us see if we can find a village elder to help us. Perhaps he can accompany us. I am certain that Merg will be more than willing to help us – or at least he will in a few weeks. For now, let us offer coin and food to anyone who helps us gather fallen timber. Fieth, would you take a few men and ride across into Thane and do the same?"

Elobert nodded and headed off.

"Pernice, I would like you to lead the negotiations here," Torbert said. "You proved most wise during your time at the castle. Also, your ties to Freeland – and its lead entrepreneur – will prove invaluable."

Pernice seemed a bit surprised but nodded his agreement and rode off to seek out a village elder.

Torbert pulled Jorgarn off to the side.

"This land will be his," he said with a gesture toward the Baron Wort. "The Council approved it before I left. Elobert will hold the lands formerly owned by Thane. The new lords are already providing guidance and assistance, even if they don't know it."

Jorgarn laughed so hard he almost fell from his horse.

"Pernice told me he would rather be a privy cleaner than a lord!" Jorgarn roared. "Elobert holds a very dim view of nobility, despite his sister's emergence. You are going to face a difficult time convincing them to accept this."

Torbert put his hand on Jorgarn's arm and looked at him with a serious expression.

"It is necessary for them to do this," he said earnestly. "They are best equipped to rehabilitate these lands. Landor and Bralan have decided that the new Lords and Ladies of the north must have strong ties to their neighbors, to Emertland and to each other. We have always had difficulty here. The old northern nobility – Symington, Fieth and even my sister, Soria – always believed they were too far from the capital to be noticed. All the discord in Emertland for the last 400 years has originated in this area. Bralan has agreed to take control of what used to be Borsik. It is now Gentlewind. Most of the areas up here will be ruled by someone close to you and she. It is important for the safety and longevity of Emertland to convince them to accept their boon."

Jorgarn's eyes narrowed.

"Tell me the rest," he said.

"Well, Chicote is next in line for the Renoit lands," Torbert began. "So Leyota is to be awarded what was formerly Osper. At least that is the Council's recommendation. That will put Bralan, Leyota, Chicote, Saneth, Pernice and Elobert in charge of the northern lands who joined or would have joined is this idiocy. Eslada and Seni were never in question about their loyalty. Lady Seni is a bit addled but her sons have made contact with King Landor to assure him of their loyalty and to see about sending someone to join the Guard. Fairhaven, Eslet, Weming and DeStrad are also firmly behind the Crown – and will be for at least the next generation."

"King Landor is planning to cede Aybester to Tark in recognition of their assistance. Incidentally, he offered independence to all the lands that were formerly Longview and Domita but they declined. They are happy with the way things are. They have a ready port for their goods and the taxes are less than what Swar charged – and less than what an independent country would be forced to charge."

Jorgarn nodded vaguely.

"So that leaves Nooth, Peth, Wanner, Ducotte, Vant, Bresid and Troch," he said.

"And Esselrig," Torbert added. "Some of those have distant relatives who remained loyal. They might be rewarded. The others will have men or women promoted from titled nobility to landed nobility. King Landor's advisers offered two dozen names and so did Bralan's group. Not surprisingly, there were few names that were similar. It has been an arduous process paring them down. The names that were on both lists – or the obvious choices, such as Bralan – were already awarded. Pernice, Elobert, Leyota and another two or three were on both lists. The King inserted them on his list without regard to what his advisers wanted."

Torbert gazed hard at Jorgarn.

"Can I count on you to assist me in convincing a few of these men and women that it is for the best?" he asked. "Can I convince you that it is in the best interest of Emertland's long-term future to have people in charge up here that can be counted upon?"

"Oh, I agree with that," Jorgarn said. "It is mostly I fear losing so many good men and women. I don't see how it serves anyone's purpose to take the best of those we have and shuttle them off somewhere far away."

"There will be stewards appointed in almost every instance, I'm certain," Torbert said. "I do not foresee any of the northern Lords or Ladies spending more than a month or two per year at their estates. Many of them will spend less time. It will not be possible with the other duties that many of them have. I believe that once we have things safely in hand up here, Leyota and Bralan will come north – with you, I'm certain – to introduce themselves to their people and try to assemble a staff. Lady Fieth is assembling a list of steward candidates and there are several others who seem ready to step forward. It will not be as difficult as you suspect."

"You hope," Jorgarn said.

Torbert laughed loudly.

"I hope," he agreed.


There were only a few strange looks as members of the Emertland forces rode through Freeland with Belad and his group.

The Freeland militia wore black tunics that they had adopted prior to coming to Freeland. Black was the only color dye that would cover the red and green tunics they already owned. The Tark archers had been given white tunics to set them apart as a separate entity.

The group recognized Jorgarn, Pernice, Fieth and Renoit. Sir Torbert was also known to some but not to all.

Of course, Merg was all smiles when he saw them approaching – particularly when he saw Jorgarn and Pernice still riding the horses he had procured for them. He swung up behind Jorgarn and rode the rest of the way into the capital with the group.

The reception at the capital was more than Jorgarn had expected. Word had come back with the non-combatants that all the men and women would return healthy and to see so many of them coming down the road caused quite a commotion.

Husbands and wives, boyfriends and girlfriends, mothers and fathers came out to see their loved ones. There were 180 people in rows of four abreast when they crossed the border. By the time they reached the capital, the line behind the soldiers stretched farther then the eye could see.

Sir Torbert rode at the front with Belad and his two lieutenants. Jorgarn, Pernice, Fieth and Renoit followed. The remainder of the Emertis, less than 20 in total, mixed in with the returning Freelanders. They had mixed ranks seamlessly during battle and saw no reason to segregate themselves now.

Vellendira ran out and rode behind Belad for the final portion of the ride.

Once in the small village that had cropped up around the capital, Belad dismounted and the troops followed his lead.

Jorgarn, Pernice, Fieth and Renoit slipped off to the side with Merg. Jorgarn was surprised when Vellendira slipped up beside him and took his arm.

"Your wife and daughter were well when I left," she said. She had picked up the language quickly, Jorgarn thought.

"I understand you delivered Marnit," Jorgarn said. "Thank you. I am heartened to know someone I trust was there to assist."

Vellendira squeezed him arm a little tighter then stepped away to listen to her husband.

"We return from, what is for most of us, the land of our birth," Belad said. "Emertland was my home for 19 years and I hold it dear to my heart. I know a great many of you feel the same way. I wish to report – officially – that Emertland is safe. Those who wished to cause it harm have been dispatched and the entirety of our militia returns safely."

Ronac waited for the cheers to subside before continuing. Jorgarn mused at how the man had grown as a leader in the past years. He felt a sense of pride that he had read the man so well.

"Sir Torbert Doloran, Knight Protector of the Realm, has asked to read a letter from King Landor," he said, ushering Torbert forward. Torbert reached into his tunic and pulled out a piece of parchment.

"To the Citizens of Freeland, it's Councils and its Militia," he read. "The Kingdom of Emertland extends its sincerest thanks for your willingness to send your men and women into harm's way for our benefit. Please know, in the unlikely event your nation is threatened, Emertland will respond with as much force as we can muster to defend Freeland side-by-side as you have defended us. Should a time arise when Freeland requires assistance, it need never look farther than its southern border for friendship."

Torbert closed the letter and looked back up at the crowd.

"This is also the feelings of my brother and King, Landor," he said. "If your militia had not responded, Emertland as we know it would be gone. We lacked the resources to defend ourselves. We lacked the wherewithal to stop this insurrection in its opening stages. As most of you know, I will take some of your citizens southward with me. Jorgarn Elmwood has agreed to be Knight Protector of the Heiress. Pernice Wort, Elobert Fieth and Chicote Renoit have accepted leadership roles in rebuilding Emertland's military so we may stand on our own. Leyota Renoit – or Elmwood, I suppose – a former Councilor of Freeland, will provide the same guidance to the Heiress, Bralan Longview, as she did in helping to build this nation. But they will forever remain citizens of Freeland."

"From the bottom of my heart, I thank you. Not only for coming to my country's aid but for your continuing help to Emertland. It is our pledge that the borders from Freeland to Emertland will remain open and citizens of this republic will have access to any open port in Emertland so long as Landor or Bralan rule. Thank you, again."


Jorgarn found his time in Freeland to be far too short. But he longed to see Marnit, Leyota and Bralan again. With Merg's 15th birthday only weeks away, Jorgarn signed the deed to the land he owned with Leyota over to the boy. Coupled with the new enterprise in Emertland, Merg was overjoyed. Pernice elected to keep his property in Freeland but gave Merg the ability to secure anything he wished from it without compensation.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.