Always on Guard - Cover

Always on Guard

Copyright© 2012 by Jay Cantrell

Chapter 45

Leyota glared at Jorgarn when he entered. He tried to defuse her anger with a smile but it didn't work. In his heart he knew it wouldn't.

"Are you satisfied?" she asked.

Jorgarn started to speak but Rayna beat him to it.

"He is but I'm not – not yet at least," she said almost in Leyota's ear. "Maybe you'll let me borrow him later ... if Bralan doesn't have his time already sewn up."

Leyota pulled back with a frown but it soften she saw the levity on Rayna's face. Leyota suspected that there was much more to the story than Rayna or Denae had let on but she didn't push them. She had secrets of her own, the biggest one Rayna had just made a joke about.

"I showed them the map you stole," Leyota said, "but I think they have some other questions."

The three of them had barely taken their seats when Landor asked the question on everyone's mind.

"How involved in Denae in this proceeding?" he wondered.

"Not at all, Your Highness," Rayna said. "The well-being of her son compelled her to leave your side. She feared that he might come to harm so she went with him. There is no affection in the marriage and very little in the household. From the time we left, Denae has expressed concern about how Frayon and his father might react. She realized her concerns were genuine about a year ago. We sought a way to get what we knew to King Landor and I had an idea. Since then, she would help me compile information to send to my cousin, Leyota Clain, in Freeland. She has been invaluable because until very recently, the families involved considered her to be a willing accomplice. Now, however, I fear her life is in danger should Emertland come under the rule of Frayon or his father."

Landor let out a sigh of relief but Torbert, who had entered after settling the Freelanders, looked worried.

"You are certain that she is not involved?" he asked pointedly. "You state that without a doubt in your mind?"

Rayna paused briefly.

"I can say it without hesitation, Sir Torbert," she said, "but ... well ... I have come to trust so few people that I can say only for certain that Sir Jorgarn, Pernice and Leyota are not involved. Those are the three people I trust absolutely. Denae does not have that distinction, I fear, because of the past we share. However, I have seen no evidence to suggest the information she provided me – and I provided you – is fabricated, nor to suggest that she holds her father in anything but the highest regard."

"Where is she now?" Torbert asked.

Rayna glanced at Leyota, who bit her lip and looked at Jorgarn.

"She is touring her mother's ancestral home," Leyota stated. "Lord Elmwood has been most helpful in many respects. When he learned an attack was looming, he gathered many of the volunteers who took part in the previous war. They accompanied us to the capital today. He also agreed to chaperone Denae until this is settled. He, his wards, Yatil and Montay, and his wife, Treene, are traveling with Denae to see the area where her mother was born and to speak to people who knew her. He also has made arrangements with some of his contacts in Swar to ensure Denae's safety if things go badly here."

Landor looked thankfully at Jorgarn, who turned to glare at Leyota.

"If I understand this correctly," he said flatly, "you enlisted the help of my father although you are not certain that Denae truly supports the King. You do realize that you have endangered not only Lord Longview, or Elmwood, whatever it is now, but also his wife and my stepbrothers. How is that a solid plan, Leyota? You know nothing of warfare. You cannot simply expect people to behave simply because the parties around them are innocents."

He looked around the room for support and found it only in Torbert's eyes. Everyone else simply glared at him.

"Sir Jorgarn, while I might not know warfare, you know nothing of your family," Leyota said stiffly. "The Squire Protector of the Manor, young Montay, is said to be as good or better than his predecessor. Lord Elmwood is aware of my misgivings and he shares them. He understands the danger involved as does his wife and your stepbrothers. As I have said to you previously when we have discussed your father, he spent many weeks at the castle while you were doing your duty. He developed a friendship with King Landor as well as a friendship with Denae. Montay will become a member of the Guard next year, again following in his predecessor's footsteps. He will be able to handle anything Denae might try as readily as you could. I would never put someone in danger without informing them unless the need was dire. Even though I believe the circumstances now exist where my conscience would be clear even if something happened to Wenta, I went to great lengths to make sure he understood what he was agreeing to and that the possibility existed for harm to come to him or his family."

Jorgarn's eye started to twitch, a certain sign his temper was fraying.

"Leyota, you acted irresponsibly regardless of how you justified it," Torbert said, sparing Jorgarn Leyota's wrath. "The first rule of conduct is that you do not put innocents into a situation where they might be harmed. Young Montay might well be as good as Jorgarn but we do not know that for certain. We also do not have anything more than Rayna's word that Denae's primary goal in this entire affair was not to be inside the castle when the battle begins. That would be tantamount to handing her the keys to the kingdom, simply because there is little way we can protect Landor at all times in here.

"The same is true for Wenta and his family. They are not warriors or soldiers. Montay might be more skilled than Jorgarn but he is not tested. I also doubt your assertions of Montay's skills are accurate. First, he has not trained with professional soldiers. Secondly, I don't believe there are many who have seen Jorgarn's true skill level. I am positive neither you nor I have seen it. I am not certain he has even reached it. I would never have put Jorgarn in a situation where he might have been required to offer defense of anyone but himself until I saw for certain that he was ready. Regardless of your rationale or the outcome, you have placed Jorgarn's family in a precarious position. I hope you realize that."

"I do realize that, damn it!" Leyota shouted. "Do you think I took this decision lightly? Do you think I didn't consider the ramifications if I am wrong about Denae? I did. I spent several sleepless nights considering Wenta's proposal before I accepted it! The alternative was to leave her in Freeland or bring her here. Neither was truly an option. Freeland was unlikely to allow her to stay there, particularly since I am not returning. There were few options and I chose the most palatable."

"If you had brought her here at least we could have locked her in the cells until this was finished and ascertained her involvement later," Torbert pointed out.

Landor looked scandalized and Leyota rolled her eyes at the Knight. Only Jorgarn appeared to think Torbert's suggestion was a viable option.

"If she had walked off that ship today she would be installed in her bedroom by this evening," Leyota said. "She would have been all sweetness and light and King Landor would never have permitted you to place her in the cells."

A single glance at Landor revealed the truth in Leyota's statement.

"Well, it is done and short of dividing our forces we will have to deal with whatever happens over there once this is concluded," Jorgarn said evenly. "But this discussion should be noted. Should Lord Elmwood's family come to harm, he or his heirs could seek restitution from Freeland or from Leyota personally. Leyota, this is the problem that exists when you refuse to discuss things with others. I am certain Fieth or your brother cautioned you about this. You are not as worldly as you seem to think you are. There are things others have seen that none us wish you to ever experience. You cannot forget that this is a civil war and Denae is at the heart of it. If the conspirators learn of her whereabouts, they may change their attack and focus on regaining her first. This was not a decision that one person should have made alone and you certainly should not have made it without a discussion with the people whose job it is to decide such things. Arbitrary decisions and people overstepping their boundaries are part of what has led us to this brink. I hope that you, too, will note this and consider it in the future."

Leyota appeared to be properly chastised. Jorgarn knew she had anguished over the decision but only because she kept so much information from other people.

"How did Denae come to be in your custody?" Landor asked.

"They rescued us," Rayna answered. "I was caught sending a letter. Leyota and I communicated using the way most young girls are taught to send notes. I used the type of ink that does not appear until it is heated. All the messages out of Troch Manor were read before they were allowed to be posted. So I would take the envelope apart and write the message there before resealing it. I never let the envelope leave my hands. I would remove the letter and hand it over to be read, then retrieve it, seal it and send it. It was only happenstance that I was caught. A clumsy guard bumped me and the envelope fell from my hand. It landed near the hearth and the heat was enough to reveal writing inside the envelope. When Leyota did not hear from me when she expected to, she sent men to find me. Denae and I were left at Wallingford to await my fate. I still do not think they believe Denae was involved. The message inside was about things I could have overheard in my role as servant."

"I'm certain her disappearance will be noted," Torbert said. "If you had escaped and left her there, perhaps they would still believe her involvement. But since she chose to leave with you, I suspect even that group is smart enough to figure out why. I am, however, glad you and she are safe. I hope you didn't mistake my previous comments to mean that I am not. Do you know the list of people involved?"

Rayna nodded silently.

"There are several I doubt you would suspect," she replied. "The areas that used to be Gobrik and Vecad are heavily invested with men at-arms and coin. The western portion of Emertland, the former lands of Domita and Longview, are not involved. Initial inquiries were rebuffed most quickly from those areas so they were left alone. Also, Blueharbor and Vanos refused: I believe that is mostly because of their proximity to Freeland, however, not out of any real love for Emertland.

"The other northern lands are heavily engaged. Thane, Wallingford, Borsik and Aybester became havens for Umbrian soldiers who fled and Vecad and Gobrik soldiers who were pardoned. Osper has little to offer but they became involved. Weming has not. He is loyal unto you probably at his peril because he is surrounded on all sides. Renoit, I am sure you know about from the traditional provinces, but also Vant and Ducotte from the east."

"Ducotte!" Jorgarn said. "Traymer would be appalled. I knew his brother was a smarmy bastard. I hope he joins the battle, the fop. I will let him know my killing stroke is in memory of his brother who was willing to die for his country and for the woman he loved."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.