Always on Guard - Cover

Always on Guard

Copyright© 2012 by Jay Cantrell

Chapter 30

Denae left Jorgarn's side shortly before daybreak. She had drifted off to sleep without meaning to. She had simply felt so relaxed and at ease that she fell to slumber before she could stop it. She awoke with a start and found Jorgarn, eyes closed but awake, smiling down at her.

"I'm sorry, I was supposed to keep you awake," she said. "I didn't mean to let you down."

"You didn't," he answered softly. "I enjoyed having you beside me again so much, I couldn't have slept. But you were tired and you need your rest. I will be allowed to sleep all day today, perhaps. You, alas, will not."

Denae noticed the dawn breaking outside.

"I should go before anyone else awakens and visits," she said. "I doubt I would be welcome beside you."

"You can stay if you wish," Jorgarn said. "For I will continue to be at your side for as long as you want me to be. Those who visit are my friends and my family. They will need to get used to it."

Denae smiled gratefully but still arose from the bed.

"Perhaps that is true," she said sweetly. "But I do not think this morning is the time to get them started. I anticipate much yelling the first time some of them see me and I doubt your head would enjoy it much."

"I doubt your head will enjoy it much either," Jorgarn said with another smile.

"True," Denae said with a hint of sadness. "But mine is of my own making."

"So is mine," Jorgarn pointed out.

"No, you did the only thing you could to stop this foolishness," Deane answered quickly. "I left you only one way out that did not leave me with many powerful, lifelong enemies. I should have been strong enough to do it myself. But instead I forced you to do it for me. I will forever regret that."

"Do not regret it," Jorgarn said. "Learn from it as I have."

"What did you learn?" Denae wondered.

"Never stand across from a woman wielding a weapon and think she will have mercy on you," Jorgarn said with a chuckle. "I thought Eslada's treatment of my arm was a result of some desire for revenge. I am certain that yesterday was. I do hope she feels vindicated toward me for whatever I did. I do believe she will come after me with a crossbow next."

"She never expected you to just stand there," Denae said. "She hoped she would break her staff when you blocked her and she might scratch you or something. Eslada never intended to harm you."

"I know, Denae," Jorgarn said with another smile. "I was trying to make a joke. Perhaps my bruise is on the humor section of my head."

"Well, maybe you will be funnier once it heals then," Denae replied in relief. "For you weren't very humorous to start with. May I kiss your cheek before I leave?"

"I am stuck in bed and it hurts to move my head," Jorgarn pointed out. "I don't believe I could stop you if I wanted to. But yes, I would like that."

Denae bent forward and gently pressed her lips to his cheek.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. She felt Jorgarn's arm rubbing her back softly. She suddenly realized how much she had missed his gentle touches, how much she craved more of them.

"May I return the favor?" he asked. Denae placed her warm cheek next to Jorgarn's dry lips. He pressed them against her firmly.

"I hope you'll visit again," he said.

"I will," she promised. "I will see if I can share your bed again tonight. Maybe you'll be back where you belong tonight – in our bed."

"Maybe," Jorgarn said as she pulled her face from his. "I hope so."

Denae left her infirmary corridor and headed up to her chamber. She had slept only a few hours but she felt more rested than in weeks. She found Rayna sitting in her chamber when she arrived.

"Where have you been?" Rayna said. "There is much that needs done today. I will file a Grievance about the Reprisal. Can you help me write it?"

Denae stopped in the doorway.

"Where I have been is none of your business," she said shortly. "You will not file a grievance. When you convinced me to accept responsibility, you lost that right."

"Well, I'll write one and you can file it then," Rayna said quickly.

"There is no need," Denae answered.

Rayna relaxed because she thought Denae had already taken the necessary steps to attempt to reverse the Tribunal's decision.

"I have informed the Tribunal that we accept the finding," she said. "I will speak to Lady Eslada today and inform her that her conditions will be met."

Rayna's mouth gaped.

"What?" she said.

"You will no longer be lead attendant," Denae said simply.

"Well, with your staff so small, I don't see as it matters," Rayna concluded. "It was only a title anyway. Others will look to me for guidance since I know you so well."

"You do not know me at all," Denae corrected. "Because a demotion would be meaningless, I have decided to abide by the spirit of the decree and not the letter. You are no longer attached to my staff. You have until morning meal tomorrow to remove your belongings. If you wish to remain near the castle, you will need to make arrangements with your mother to lodge with her. Otherwise, I will forward your wages so you may let a room in the village and I will arrange transport of your belongings. I will even provide a letter recommending you for another job. But I don't think it will matter since almost everyone in the capital knows of your actions."

Rayna's eyes narrowed dangerously.

"You do not want to do this," she said. "I know too many of your secrets. I'm certain the rumor mongers would love to hear about the little girl in the castle who would like to kiss other little girls and spends the night with a man who is not her husband."

Denae nodded.

"And I'm certain there are many woman in the village who would like your mother's job," she said in an even voice. "I can arrange that it is open, just as I can arrange to have a rope around your brother's neck."

Denae took a step forward to where there were only inches between them.

"Just as I can arrange for several young, dirty sailors to find where you lodge and have a right nice time with you and afterwards, you'll disappear without notice," she said in a low, menacing voice barely above a whisper. "You forget, Rayna. The power you believed you held was only illusion. The real power rests with me. If you insist on that lesson, I will provide it."

She pointed to the table.

"Leave your keys," Denae said. "And leave me. You have to find a place to live and place to earn a wage. But following morning meal tomorrow, your belongings and you will be set outside of the castle walls."

The Princess gestured dismissively toward the door.

"Leave me," Denae said sharply. "I have many people to apologize to today for the way we have acted. It will take me most of the day and I do not have time to dawdle with my former employees."

She met the woman's eyes who was still standing and staring at her.

"And Rayna," Denae said. "If you take anything from the castle that does not belong to you, you will swing beside your brother. I can assure you of that."

Denae took the stunned woman's arm, directed her though the door and closed it behind her. Then she sat at the table and sobbed quietly for the loss of her oldest – and perhaps only – friend.


It was well after morning meal when Denae presented herself at her father's study for their daily lessons.

"Rayna Clain no longer works in the castle," she announced before sitting down. "She is to be out of the castle by this time tomorrow. If she is not, she is to be arrested as a trespasser. I have made arrangements with two members of the Emertland Guard to be stationed outside of her room. They will escort her anywhere she needs to go today. The others in the castle know that if they see her unaccompanied, they are to alert me immediately. I also asked two members to guard Jorgarn's door until she is gone. I hope that is acceptable, Father. I asked only the recently promoted that I still view myself responsible for."

"I'm sorry it came to this, Daughter," Landor said sympathetically. "I wish that it hadn't for your sake. I know you like her."

"I do like her but she cannot be permitted access until she matures and I mature," Denae said with a sad note. "I had planned to let her go gently but it didn't turn out that way. She wanted a Grievance filed. I have determined that Jorgarn's actions were fair and the outcome was necessary. She threatened me, and I am afraid I lost my temper."

Landor was on his feet in an instant.

"She threatened you?" he asked loudly. "How dare she?"

"Not physically father," Denae pointed out. "If that had been the case, I simply would have throttled her and removed her from the castle myself. Jorgarn has taught me much. No, she threatened to reveal castle secrets."

Landor waved his hand.

"Let her," he said. "There is little we do here that no one knows about and few would believe her anyway. She can tell what she likes."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.