Always on Guard
Chapter 11

Copyright© 2012 by Jay Cantrell

Denae and the Queen were discussing the festivities around the Princess' ascension when the Princess suddenly stood.

"He's here," she said as she walked toward the door.

"Who?" Lorida asked as she exchanged a glance with Rayna, who was also in attendance.

"Jorgarn," Denae said. "It's strange. I know he is close and, if I had to guess, he is irritated."

The Queen looked at her stepdaughter closely.

"Then let's find him and see what causes his irritation, Dear," the Queen said. There was nothing in Denae's manner that led her to assume the Princess was anything but sincere. "Can you sense his presence often?"

"Sometimes," she said with a blush. "Earlier in the week, he had night duty at the palace. I thought he was close by but I didn't know how that could be. Most of the times, I just thought it was anticipation at seeing him again."

She giggled as they walked down the hallway.

"He was always nervous about being here so I always felt his nerves," she said. "I assumed they were my nerves. The other night, I woke up when he came on duty. I had no idea he was here but suddenly I was awake and I was alert. I felt the need to be constantly on watch, like someone might come to steal something I valued. I didn't find out Jorgarn was here – on protection duty – until the next afternoon. This is the first time it's happened since."

The Queen had heard Landor mention that he always had a sense of where Torbert was. She had assumed it was just because they were so close but maybe it was more. She would have to ask Torbert if the same was true for him. Maybe it was something between a monarch and his knight. It bore looking at.

The trio turned into the hallway housing the King's chamber and saw Jorgarn standing there reading a letter. He had a look of consternation on his face but Denae knew it wasn't because of something in the letter. A small smile graced his lips periodically. The letter wasn't the source of his discomfort. She hoped she wasn't the source. Only Rayna's firm grasp on Denae's arm stopped the Princess from racing ahead.

Jorgarn caught movement down the hallway out his peripheral vision and his hand automatically went for his sword. Sadly, his sword was still hanging on the hook beside his chamber. One generally did not go armed to a meeting with the King.

When he saw who was approaching, he felt foolish.

"It's gratifying to see you are always on guard for the King's protection," the Queen said. Jorgarn couldn't tell if she was mocking him or sincere.

He bowed deeply to the royals and less deeply to Rayna. He believed she deserved it as much as anyone.

"Your Majesty," Jorgarn said as he arose. He was surprised to see the Queen had extended her hand to him. He kissed the top of it gently. He repeated the process with the Princess and would have offered the same courtesy to Rayna if Denae hadn't spoken.

"What's wrong, Jorgarn?" she asked.

The question caught him off guard.

"Uh, Your Highness, I'm not certain anything is wrong," he said.

"But you think something is," she insisted. "What is it?"

"Perhaps it is something he should discuss with your father, Dear," the Queen said softly. "Is that a correspondence from Eslada?"

Jorgarn looked at his hands.

"Yes, Your Majesty," Jorgarn said. "They arrived this morning. I was scanning them for something of interest."

The Queen nodded.

"Please, when we are among the family, call me Lorida or Queen Lorida if you must," she said sweetly. "I understand you have a difficult time with shortening our names. I should tell you, I wrote to Eslada today and we have invited her to join us for Princess Denae's ascension. I wish I could have found time to discuss it with you but Sir Torbert has kept you quite busy as of late. Do you believe your father will allow her to visit? I'm sorry, I keep forgetting your tradition. Do you think Lord Longview will allow it?"

"It's quite alright, Your Majesty," Jorgarn said. "I have decided it is not worth remembering either. I understand who is being spoken about. I can see no reason why he would not unless there is something in the letter from him to His Majesty, the King."

"He wrote to my father?" Denae asked. "That seems odd. Maybe your brother is dead and he wants you home. Oh, I hope not. I mean, I don't mind if your brother is dead. From what you've told me, he is beastly. But I hope you aren't recalled."

"He has no power to recall me, Your Highness," Jorgarn said. He was flustered by Denae's emotional outburst. "I could return if I chose. But I would not. Unless ordered by the King or Sir Torbert – or of course, you when you assume the throne – the only time I will return to Longview is to escort Lady Eslada back to Emertland."

No one could mistake the Princess' expression for anything other than what it was – happiness. Jorgarn's surprise was complete when the Queen put her hand gently upon his arm.

"It is gratifying to hear that you have found a home here, Jorgarn," she said. "I am pleased to know that you are enjoying your life. I'm sure Eslada is pleased, too. I told her how well you've done and how well you have fit in with not only the Guards but with her family. I hope you don't mind."

"Uh, no, of course not, Your Majesty," Jorgarn stammered. "I am pleased that you would do that. I am sure Lady Eslada will appreciate your consideration."

The Queen smiled at Denae.

"You're right, Dear," she said. "He really has trouble dropping his formal nature around the castle. You will need to work on that. Perhaps you can have dear Rayna give him lessons."

The Princess smiled at her stepmother and Sir Torbert opened the door to the King's study.

"Oh, well, that's convenient," he said. "I don't have to look for you. Could you join us in the study? Oh, hello, Rayna. I'm sorry, but you were not included in the King's instructions. Although I'm sure Denae will give you a full recounting later. So you might as well join us."

Rayna started to speak but the Princess took her friend's arm.

"If it affects me, it affects you," she said. "You are to be my lead attendant in a few weeks."

Jorgarn was unsure if he was included in the gathering so he stayed behind while the ladies entered.

"You, too," Torbert said. "You might be the only one who can make sense of this."


"Efficient, Torbert," the King said with a smile. "I expected it to take you a few minutes to round them up."

He handed the letter from Lord Longview across the desk to Jorgarn.

"What do you make of this?" he asked.

Jorgarn read the letter twice before answering.

"I've never heard of such a thing, Your Majesty," he said. "Formal functions are few in Longview. I have never had the occasion to see one. Also, I would have thought Lady Eslada would have mentioned something like this in her latest letter. It was written just day before yesterday."

He glanced at the letter again.

"The phrasing is ... awkward," he continued. "I can attest that this is not written in my father's hand. As I said, I would not expect it to be because he doesn't know your language. But something of this magnitude would have to be run past Lady Eslada. She would be the one making the arrangements and overseeing the staff. She would have been the most likely candidate to write a letter inviting the Princess to a state dinner in her honor."

"So you find problems with it?" Torbert said.

"I find many problems with it, Sir Torbert," Jorgarn said. "The language is not court language of Longview. It almost seems as though the person who dictated the letter wanted to seem more knowledgeable than he – or she – is. My father would have Lady Eslada compose almost every official letter from his desk. The biggest problem is that it is not my father's signature. It is not even close and, well, it is misspelled."

Denae, who had grasped the Longview language well, held out her hand for the letter.

"His name is Wenta, correct?" Denae asked.

"It is the common pronunciation," Jorgarn said. "But his name is spelled with an obsolete character, UU. He is always careful to use that because he believes it sets him apart. The letter combination has been used rarely in the past 200 years."

"But we wouldn't know that," Torbert said. "Similarly, we would have no idea that Lord Longview doesn't have a steward fluent in Emerti who wrote this for him. Jorgarn has confirmed it is his father's seal."

"What troubles me most, Sire," Jorgarn said, "is not the letter itself. There can be numerous explanations for any question that arises. The biggest question is why Cruit Symington received one from the same person on the same paper with the same seal and on the same day."

"Do you have the other letter?" the Queen asked.

The King nodded.

"Open it then," she insisted.

"And if it is a simple question about the goat trade?" the King asked.

"If it is a question about the goat trade, I'll ... I'll work seven days in the kitchen and eat what I prepare," she said.

Despite the tenseness of the situation, everyone laughed aloud – except for Rayna and Jorgarn who each struggled to keep their faces set.

Denae slapped Rayna and Jorgarn on the arms.

"You could have laughed at that," she said. "It was meant to be humorous."

"We still can't open this letter without a reason," the King said. "Every citizen is entitled to privacy."

Denae looked at Jorgarn. She was certain she could tell what he was thinking but she knew he wouldn't say it.

"Deliver it to Symington," Denae said. "Allow him to open it and read it. Then let Jorgarn take it away from him."

She smirked at the look on Jorgarn's face. Not for the first time, he was certain the Princess could read his thoughts. She leaned closer to him.

"I can, sometimes," she whispered.

"It would work but I have a better way," Torbert said. "I believe it is time for an inspection of the barracks. I will wager working alongside the Queen that Symington will not read this missive in public. He will take it to his room. We will have Fieth deliver it, give him a minute or two and then the senior Guardsmen will declare an inspection. He will be unable to hide it. And, like it or not, King Landor, communication from a sovereign power is not privileged. We could easily justify opening it right here and reading its content. Young Symington would have the option of living with it or crying to his father. His father could like it or lump it. He should be used to that feeling by now."

"I like my idea better," Denae said. "Just because I think I like the idea of Jorgarn taking Symington's sword from him and shoving it ... down his throat."

She blushed at what she almost said.

"He might get the chance at that, niece," Torbert said. "A Guardsman First Class is part of my senior staff. He will be conducting the inspections."


Symington had been warned by his older brother, Comar, the heir to the Lordship, to expect a letter from Longview. Symington knew, broadly, what the plan was. He had tried to talk his brother out of it but the older man had told him it would work – so long as Cruit played his part.

There was little else for Symington to do. His dream of landing the Knighthood was gone. Even if no one else knew, he knew it. He would do what little he could to help his family regain its prestige.

The plan was simple.

Emertland had been at peace for so long, it had no standing army. It could raise one but it would probably take a year. It would take much longer if the Symington district refused to send soldiers – which it would.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.