Always on Guard - Cover

Always on Guard

Copyright© 2012 by Jay Cantrell

Chapter 10

The events of the past few moments sorted themselves out in the King's mind as he waited for Torbert's arrival. When the picture solidified, he looked closely at his daughter. The expression on her face hadn't changed from the one of firm resolve she had entered with.

"What will you do if Jorgarn accepts the Lordship and abandons the Guards?" he asked. "It is a real possibility. You know what those lands are always used for. You could buck 500 years of tradition. This could lead to the downfall of our house. You do fully realize that?"

"I do, father," she said. "That is why I need information before I proceed. It is my plan to offer him the Lordship. I will offer to maintain them as Crown lands but I will not require it. I will also ask him to be my Protector. But I must know more about the procedure before I can move forward. Where is Torbert?"

"Here, My Princess," came a voice from the doorway.

"Well, I guess you heard then," she said. "Please, Torbert, sit."

Sir Torbert looked to his brother. The King's shrug told him it was Denae's show.

"I've only just arrived and I've heard nothing," Torbert said.

"Well, then let's proceed with something else," Denae said. "Why are my Knight candidates being beaten bloody? Why have a dozen trainees resigned in the past two days?"

"I planned to speak to you about his once things settled a bit, Niece," Torbert said. "I will make a full report when the time is right."

"Sir Torbert," Denae said. "You will make a full report at my request. I am responsible for this class. If I do not choose a Knight from this class, I am responsible for the classes until I do. I require your report now."

Torbert shifted a glance toward his brother who was motionless. Both men knew Denae was within her rights to question the training methods. She simply hadn't done it before, trusting that her uncle was handling things correctly.

"Very well, Your Highness," Torbert said. "I have failed this class completely. I have likely failed the last dozen classes completely. The Noble Guard is a disgrace. I would say that I am ashamed to be its Captain but the simple fact is that I am entirely at fault for its sorry shape. Your candidates were punished because one of them committed a major infraction. It was decided that in order for the members to look after themselves, each would be responsible for the actions of the others."

"Which explains the punishment but not why Jorgarn's back looks like someone took a filet knife to it, Uncle," Denae said in a conciliatory tone. She could see the last day had been difficult for Torbert as well.

"You know of Jorgarn's back?" Torbert asked. "May I ask how?"

"He bled through his shirt during our lessons last night," Denae stated. "I insisted he seek treatment at the castle before I would permit him to return to the barracks."

The King shot a questioning glance toward Torbert. He too was just learning of the severity of Jorgarn's injuries.

"He came here, last evening?" Torbert said. "What was he thinking?"

"He gave me his word," Denae replied. "I fully believe he would have crawled to wherever he needed to be if he gave his word to you, father or me. He did not mention it. I saw he was moving slowly and I knew punishment had been handed down to many yesterday. I still await word on why he looks that way. He told me the situation is handled. I would also like to know if you agree with that."

Torbert took deep breath.

"Jorgarn's back looks that way because I was too much of a coward to stand there and make sure it was done properly," he said sadly. "I walked away and allowed another guard to deliver the penalty because I could not bear to watch him being punished for something he did not do, nor would he ever do. The Guard who volunteered took the opportunity to express his displeasure at being displaced in the guard ranks. I, again, was remiss in my duties to you and to Jorgarn."

"You allowed Symington to inflict the beating?" Denae asked incredulously. "You are not stupid. Tell me what you hoped to accomplish by that?"

"Daughter," the King said soothingly.

"No, Your Highness," Torbert said angrily. "I am incompetent but I am not stupid. I did not even permit Symington to witness the punishments. He was assigned to duty completely away from the complex. But Jorgarn's arrival has the entire system in upheaval. Symington is the most evident but he is not the only person to realize the skills he possesses are inferior. In fact, I can count myself among that rank. After his torment yesterday, it fell upon him to comfort me, rather than the way it should be. He told me it wasn't my fault that the Guards have deteriorated. It is a product of the quality of man I am sent."

"He is right," Denae cut in quickly. "And I apologize for my tone, Uncle. I am angry and I jumped to the incorrect conclusion. Jorgarn defended your actions last evening. He said what happened to him might be the best thing that happened to the Guard in years. But I do hope you will offer me your forgiveness. My brain knows that you would never purposefully let him come to harm. But my heart got in the way."

Denae's last comment caught Torbert's attention quickly.

"The Princess is considering deeding Tremaine to Jorgarn," the King said. "But before she decides, she would like for you to explain the concept of the Knight Consort to her."

The pieces clicked together quicker for Torbert than they had for Landor.

"I do not believe it is possible for you to do that, Denae," he said quietly.

"I disagree with you, but I will hear you out," she replied with a smile. "But first, could you give me the background on Knight Consorts?"

"It is an obsolete notion," Torbert began. "I would wager it has been 15 decades or more since it was used."

"Close but I hope you weren't betting a kitchen stint," the King said. "It has been 112 years since it was last in effect and 138 since it was last offered. Is that correct, Denae?"

Denae couldn't help but smile.

"Yes, Father," she said.

"Well, still," Torbert sputtered. "Up until 300 years ago or so, Emertland was constantly at war. The Noble Guard was not what you see. Each Lordship was expected to raise and lead his own army. The Noble Guard was a training academy. Many lords and heirs took part in the training. It was different than today. Today is it is filled with the coddled children of spoiled aristocrats. They send one child here in order that we will feed them and provide for them so they won't have to. I have come to realize it is not working. But, we have a plan we will discuss with you later in the week."

Denae allowed the conversation to be briefly sidetracked so she could have her suspicion confirmed.

"We?" she asked.

Torbert nodded and smiled.

"It is actually your future Knight's plan," he said. "So I will allow Jorgarn to present it."

Denae didn't correct Torbert but motioned for him to continue.

"The role of Knight Protector has been around for centuries," he said. "It was always considered, until recently perhaps, to be the second most vaunted position in Emertland – behind only the ruling monarch. Many lords have given up their holdings to accept the honor. Some of them had no heir and allowed family properties to be divided to take the title of Knight Protector. As with many things, the luster has waned during my watch. Now it is seen as a springboard into a powerful position for those without much hope for power – the second sons of nobility."

"And the Knight Consort?" Denae prodded.

Torbert grimaced but nodded.

"It was uncommon but not unheard of for the Heiress to the Crown to develop a romantic relationship with her Protector," Torbert said. He considered glossing over part of the history but decided Denae should hear it all. "In fact, it is almost a foregone conclusion that you will have a sexual liaison with your Protector. You are around each other too much and, ideally, so closely in sync with the other, it is almost unavoidable."

Denae did her best to stop a blush from rising and succeeded for the most part.

"It is rumored but not confirmed that a few of our former rulers were the sons or daughters of the Protector rather than the King," Torbert added. "In fact, it is almost universally accepted that our great-great-grandmother was the daughter of such a union. In the cases where the Queen or the Heiress desired more than a professional and sexual relationship with her Knight, they were betrothed. He became Knight Consort instead of Knight Protector. Once the couple wed, his title changed again. Some took the title of Lord Protector; others accepted the title of Prince Knight. I would have to read up on this before I can give you the exact numbers of who was called what."

Denae nodded. She knew and understood most of this.

"But what is the difference between the two?" she asked. "Is there something that one does and the other does not? You already say I'll have sex with him. I might even raise children with him. What is the crux of the differences?"

Torbert shrugged.

"The Knight Protector must be a son of nobility, a member in good standing with the Noble Guard and acceptable to the Monarch," Torbert said. "The Knight Consort must be a Lord or its equivalent – because he must be of that rank for you to marry him – a member in good standing with the Noble Guard and acceptable to the Queen – or King if he prefers that. The only real difference outside of rank is that the Knight Protector sleeps in the room beside you and the Knight Consort sleeps in the bed with you."

Denae closed her eyes for a brief moment.

"If you are seriously considering it, I strongly advise you to look deeper into it," Torbert warned. "It has happened only a handful of times and many of them were not successful."

"It has happened seven times," Denae said. "Five appear to be eminently successful. Two I have been able to learn very little about."

"Well, I don't recall their timeframes but one ended with the Queen having her Knight assassinated," Torbert said. "Please remember, you cannot replace your Knight. He serves until his death or yours. You cannot just decide you don't like him anymore and toss him aside. Not the most recent but the one before that, it ended badly. The Queen fell in love with someone else and divorced her husband. But he was still her Knight. Our records indicate that it was a tenuous existence filled with much strife. Very little was accomplished and her rule was considered a failure. She presided over the only war Emertland has ever lost."

Denae took the information thoughtfully and considered what she would say next.

"Father, uncle, from the moment Jorgarn sat beside me at dinner, I could not picture giving myself to anyone else," Denae said. "As soon as father told me that I couldn't name him my Knight, I began to look for ways to accomplish that fact. It is now accomplished. I will offer Knighthood to Jorgarn but I plan to wait to announce it until just before my first extended trip from the castle. I hope that trip is to be to Jorgarn's homeland and the birthplace of my mother, but if it is necessary for me to visit other places first, I will. As time progresses, I might decide to make the announcement earlier.

"I also am considering – considering, mind you – offering him the Crown lands of Tremaine. I will inform him that it is not necessary for him to govern the lands but he may if he wishes. It is my hope that he will accept the title and leave them in the hands of the Crown steward. It is my wish that he accepts the title and the title of Knight Protector. If – and it is 'if' at this point – I would like for him to become my husband in the future, he would be eligible. I would not need to displace a Lord as has been done in the past to the Queen's detriment. We are not at war and it is unlikely we will be in the near future. There is no need to secure an alliance with a foreign marriage. Frankly, I would prefer my marriage be like that of Sir Torbert and Batrix and my father and my mother than that of my father and my stepmother. But unless something drastically changes, there is no person I would consider for my Knight other than Jorgarn – and no person I would prefer as my husband."

The two men in the room exchanged glances. Denae had made several valid points. There were few if any flaws in her argument. The only sticking point would be Jorgarn. Neither knew for certain if he would accept the Lordship or even the role as Knight Protector.


Cruit Symington's happiness was tempered by the knowledge that he was forced to move quickly. His goal of being Knight Protector for the Crown was evaporating. His duties to the Emertland Guard had forced him to miss several opportunities to impress the King and the Princess. Then Sir Torbert's decision to suspend all personal movement save for official activities had made him miss one of the few chances he had left.

He had done his best to get information on Jorgarn Elmwood but the other guards feared Jorgarn more than they feared Symington. It was not a situation the young man was used to and not one he planned to grow accustomed to.

Even Fieth and Renoit had turned on him, joining sides with the foreigner. A foreigner from of all places, Longview.

But finally good news had arrived. He had earned his full commission in the Noble Guard. He was first in his class to make the grade and he would be first in line for the Knighthood. His goal was to place a Symington heir on the throne within a decade.

Symington walked casually to the bulletin board so he could be sure all the trainees were made to look at his promotion. Right there, dated for that day, Cruit Symington's name along with his rank – Guardsman Third Class.

His blood ran cold when he saw the notice beside his: dated the previous week, Jorgarn Elmwood, Trainer, Guardsman First Class.

"Hellfire," he muttered. Not only had Jorgarn's promotion come first but Symington would be forced to follow his orders or face the consequences.

Symington stomped back to his barracks. Everyone who saw him greeted him not with a congratulatory salutation but with a smirk. His hatred of Elmwood was well known. Everyone had seen that Sir Torbert and the King had stuck it to a Symington again.

First, King Landor twice stole the woman that Cruit's father planned to marry. Now Sir Torbert was doing his best to kill any dream the Symingtons had of redemption. But the final stroke came when Cruit arrived at his bunk.

There was a message from the castle. The Queen had cancelled any further dining engagements. She had written that she no longer viewed him as the best candidate for the role of Knight Protector.

But it was her final salvo that brought blood to Symington' face. The Queen wrote that she had wasted her time and angered her family for no reason because Symington had done absolutely nothing to project himself as anything more than a self-serving, arrogant nobleman.


Denae dreaded the prospect of another dinner with Cruit Symington. She was certain that since he had missed the last two, he would be in full spirits to describe his latest daring-do. So she was somewhat startled when Queen Lorida sat down without announcing the presence of a guest.

"Where is your lapdog tonight?" Denae asked before she could stop herself. Then she steeled herself for the awaited explosion.

Instead the Queen studied her fork.

"If you mean Master Symington, he will be joining us no longer," the Queen said with no hint of anger. "I apologize for subjecting you and your father to his presence as long as I did."

Both the King and his daughter sat back in their chairs.

"Until recently, I viewed Master Symington as the best candidate to serve as your Protector," the Queen continued. "But I have watched the happenings at the complex for the last weeks. What is going on there is impressive. Symington had the same opportunity to exact change. He was feared, not only for his martial prowess but for his family connections. Instead he worked solely for his own benefit. I expected no less from him because I believed that any person in his position would seek to do the same.

"I was wrong about that, too. I will interfere in your business no further. But I do have a recommendation. Jorgarn Elmwood has distinguished himself not only as a Guard but as a leader. I am unsure of what needs to be done to ensure he is a viable candidate. I know one must own property in Emertland. I am prepared to use my own funds to purchase him land if it becomes necessary. I also would like to invite Lady Eslada to visit prior to Denae's ascension. She should see the success of her protégé and I believe each of you would like to visit with her. If neither of you object I have a letter that I have written to Lady Eslada. If you approve, I will send it out via ship in the morning."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.