Always on Guard - Cover

Always on Guard

Copyright© 2012 by Jay Cantrell

Chapter 5

The conversation in the King's study began with much less formality. The Princess sat down in a high-backed chair and gestured for Jorgarn to take the one opposite to her.

"My mother is a Longview woman," she began without preamble and before her father and her uncle had the chance to sit.

"She is probably a distant relative of yours," the King intoned. But Sir Torbert shook his head in disagreement.

"Longview's Lords are not always hereditary, King Landor," he said. "I believe Master Jorgarn's father came to power because there were no male heirs from Sarita's line. Jorgarn, do you know?"

Jorgarn glanced at the Princess for only a moment.

"I would wager that there is a common ancestor among us somewhere, Sir Torbert," Jorgarn answered. "Lord Longview was born into the Elmwood clan and has ruled for only 22 years. I know he was appointed heir by his great-uncle, who had no living male child nor any living male grandchild. The former Lord's family name was Greenmeadow and he held the Lordship for almost 40 years before his passing."

"My mother was a Greenmeadow!" the Princess exclaimed excitedly. She sat back thoughtfully. "That means your father's father was a brother to my mother."

Jorgarn thought for second.

"Actually, Your Highness," he corrected. "It would have been my father's mother. My grandmother, Elevita, was likely a sister to your mother, Queen Sarita."

"She was," the King said. "Elevita was Sarita's older sister. Both were considerably younger than then-Lord Longview 20 or more years I would wager."

A soft smile graced the King's lips.

"My father, King Luthen, arranged my marriage with Lord Longview's sister," he said wistfully. "In truth, I was supposed to marry your grandmother, Jorgarn. But she was considerably older than me. It wouldn't have mattered. Once I saw Sarita, I was determined. She was the most amazing woman."

His sigh told Jorgarn all he needed to know about how the King felt about his late wife.

"There are rules about Royal marriages in Emertland," the Princess explained. "Particularly for someone who is Heir to the Crown. It gets a bit messy at times. I honestly don't understand many of them myself. Thankfully I have time before I'll need to know them. Are there rules in Longview?"

"Your Highness," Jorgarn started.

"Would you please call me Denae when we are in private?" she said with exasperation. "Or at least Princess. We are at least distant cousins. So we are family."

Jorgarn's face reddened. He didn't believe it was appropriate to have such familiarity with a Royal. In that, he was in agreement with the Queen.

"Perhaps once Jorgarn is more familiar with us," the King offered. "Although you and I don't stand on Royal Principle often, there are others who do. We have made the offer to him and that offer will remain. Do not force it upon him."

The Princess understood there was more to her father's last statement than he spoke.

"Of course, I'm sorry," the Princess said with a smile. "Is it still acceptable for me to call you Jorgarn?"

"Or course, Your Highness," Jorgarn said at once. The Princess enjoyed seeing him flustered. He seemed so unflappable the day before, with a sword in his hand. He was in his element then. Now, despite his lineage, Jorgarn was clearly outside his comfort zone. Denae relished having the upper hand on man of such power.

"You come from the Royal Household of Longview," she said. "Why are you so ill at ease here?"

"I was equally ill at ease there, Your Highness," Jorgarn answered meekly. "I was not exactly a welcomed addition to our household. Lord Longview was disappointed with the heir he sired. I have spoken of Pietro's proclivity for menace. It was a product of his upbringing and his makeup, I'm sure. He was coddled and pampered by his father and probably by our mother, too. But he also has a mean spirit that I think was born into him. His birth was difficult and it is the assumption of many that he was damaged in childbirth. Once Lord Longview saw he would leave a horrible legacy, he sought another heir."

"What would have happened to your brother?" the Princess interrupted. She had trouble accepting that Jorgarn left his familial ties behind when he left The Empire.

"He would have been sent abroad or perhaps slain," Jorgarn said without emotion. "The latter probably would have been more appropriate, I'm sorry to say, Princess Denae."

The Princess gasped at the answer but Jorgarn's explanation settled her.

"He is truly that bad?" she wondered.

"Probably worse," Jorgarn said. "For every foul deed I know about there are probably three more that have been hidden from me. As a child he kept his torment mostly to animals and the household staff. As he grew older, his interests expanded. Lord Longview ignored me after my mother's death. He hated me for causing it, although I am unsure of how it could be my fault. He also ignored Pietro's activities. He has never permitted Pietro to travel outside of Longview, so there has never been anyone with the ability to police Pietro's actions. Those inside Longview know it is fruitless to bring such matters to the Lord's attention. I shudder to think what will happen to that land when Pietro swears fealty. I am somewhat surprised that Lord Longview still lives."

The King nodded in appreciation of Jorgarn's statement. His throne had passed to the heir via bloodshed a few times in the past.

"So, what are your plans once Lord Longview is dead?" the King asked. He wanted to get to the heart of Jorgarn's affiliation with Eslada.

"To remain part of the Noble Guard, Your Majesty," Jorgarn answered.

"I mean in regard to Lady Eslada," the King rejoined.

"I will travel to Longview and bring her back to her homeland, Sire," Jorgarn replied casually.

"Will it be that simple?" the Princess wondered.

The look that passed over Jorgarn's face was unreadable to any but Sir Torbert. He understood it well.

"I do not wish to boast, Your Highness," Jorgarn said as he looked at his hands. "I am considered the most dangerous man in Longview. If I had wished it, anytime in the last three years and perhaps longer, I could have been Lord by now. Although, now that I come to realize with whom I have trained, I would wager that I was, at best, the third most dangerous man in Longview."

The King let forth a laugh and was joined by Torbert.

"Eslada's letters to me said very much the same thing," Torbert admitted to the Princess. "Although when I met the boy, her words were somewhat suspect. I wondered initially why Longview had so few dangers that Young Jorgarn was the most dangerous."

"But then you saw him in action," the Princess said with a raised eyebrow. "It was quite impressive. I would wager that Jorgarn is perhaps the second most dangerous man in Emertland at this point."

A lump formed in Jorgarn's throat. His feats with war craft had led most to give him wide berth especially the Lord and his heir.

"I wouldn't take that wager," the King replied. "You said yesterday, Denae, that there is little for us to teach him here."

Torbert nodded his agreement and Jorgarn looked downward. He was to be sent away yet again.

"I understand, Your Majesties," Jorgarn said as he rose. "I ask only that I be allowed to contact Lady Eslada and to attempt to make suitable arrangements for travel elsewhere. I was offered a sailor's spot on the ship on which I arrived. Perhaps it still is in port."

The King stood quickly.

"Oh no, my boy," he said as he reached for Jorgarn's arm. "That is not what I meant at all. I meant only that I foresee a swift rise through the ranks of the Noble Guard. You are well met here and a breath of fresh air. I overheard young Merg's tale of your kindness this morning. The palace has been abuzz for two days now. Denae now has options she didn't before your arrival."

"Father," Denae said firmly.

The King smiled indulgently at this daughter.

"Do you mean to say that this is not where this conversation is leading?" the King asked.

"It is not," the Princess said, again in a firm tone. "I would like to visit Longview in the coming months, as a tribute to my mother and her heritage. I would hope that Master Elmwood would assist me in learning the language and the customs. In return, I will assist him in becoming acclimated to Emertland and his duties in the Noble Guard. That is all I wish to discuss at this time. Any other discussion must come later."

The King smiled at his daughter again. Just the night before, he was certain she would ask that Jorgarn, sight unseen, be promoted as soon as possible to full status so she could anoint him her Protector. He had tried to slow her down until he had a better read on the young man.

Jorgarn had turned out to be everything Eslada had promised and perhaps a bit more. It was obvious he was qualified to be the Knight Protector of the Heiress. He had been polite but forceful with the Queen. His joke to Torbert about his nicknames proved that the Knight Protector of the Crown was fond of him. Otherwise Jorgarn would be receiving lashes instead of sitting politely waiting for the Princess to continue.

"As you wish, Daughter," the King said. "Torbert and I will be next door to discuss other items of interest to the Crown. You may conduct your discussion in private."

The Princess blushed but nodded. She had never – not ever been left alone in the company of an unmarried male. If anyone should learn of her non-chaperoned visit, it would be scandalous. Her uncle must hold a biding trust in Jorgarn for him to permit it.

Jorgarn was in the same situation. It was unheard of in the land where he was born for a man to sit with a young woman alone if he was not betrothed to her. He was thankful that the door to the next room remained open so as not to create the perception of impropriety.

The Princess' eyes would drift periodically to the opened doorway as if to ensure she wasn't really alone with Jorgarn but she spoke to him casually.

"Well, as I've said," she began, "I was excited when I learned of your arrival. Although Lady Eslada has apparently been in contact with my father and uncle regarding you, it was a surprise to me. However, it has turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I truly enjoyed dining with you this evening. You have many interesting stories and you have done well in learning our language. Many who seek to join the Noble Guards from abroad have difficulty with that aspect. I am hoping that you can assist me in learning the language of my mother's homeland and introduce me to some of the more unusual customs that I might find when I arrive there. Would that be acceptable to you??

Jorgarn nodded silently.

"I should alert you, Your Highness," he said, "that my knowledge of your language is somewhat incomplete. There is any number of nuances of which I am unaware. Perhaps you should avail upon your father or your uncle to teach you. They appear to have more than a passing knowledge of Longview and they are most certainly more familiar with your language than I am. I can help you with the customs but, as Heiress to Emertland's throne, it is unlikely that you will need to know them."

The Princess' gaze flickered slightly. She had expected his quick agreement but his assertion that others would be of more help to her had thrown her. She had a dual purpose for her request: she wanted to learn to speak Longview but she also wanted an excuse to get to know Jorgarn better. He was the most viable candidate for Knight Protector to come along since Symington, whose actions in the preceding day had put him at a disadvantage.

She decided upon a course of action.

"Yes," the Princess agreed. "My father and uncle are better equipped to aid me. However, their time is somewhat limited. They have vast responsibilities, none of which include tutoring me in tongues. Also, if you are to serve as a Noble Guard, you must not falter in our language. There might come a time when a misunderstood inflection could mean the difference in life and death for the person you serve. You would learn eventually, I have no doubt. But I doubt there are many among the trainees who would correct you if you speak incorrectly. I will have no problem doing that. Just as I hope you will have no trouble correcting me if I err."

Jorgarn doubted he would be able to be forceful with the future Queen of Emertland but he figured he could offer gentle corrections if the need be.

"Do you know any of the language so far, Your Highness?" Jorgarn asked.

"Only the words we have in common and the ones I learned tonight," the Princess replied. Jorgarn blushed when he heard that.

"Well, the ones you learned tonight are best left forgotten," he said.

"I gathered that much," Denae replied with a laugh as she slapped his arm. "I gather, from the relationship you have with your family, that those are not truly terms of endearment."

Jorgarn sighed.

"They are not, Your Highness," he said.

Torbert stuck his head around the corner of the doorway.

"If you truly want to know what they mean, I'll tell you, Denae," he offered with a glint in his eye. Jorgarn's mouth dropped.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.