Always on Guard - Cover

Always on Guard

Copyright© 2012 by Jay Cantrell

Chapter 1

Jorgarn Elmwood stood stoically at the dock of Longview's largest port. No member of his family arrived to bid him farewell upon his leave taking. He wasn't surprised. It had seemed as if he had been on his own for years.

Jorgarn was thankful that his father, Lord Longview, had allowed the trip. It was a pilgrimage to his stepmother's home country to join the Royal Guards instead of the normal fate of a second son the priesthood. Jorgarn smiled grimly. He was not cut out for a life of religious devotion. At least someone had paid enough attention to him to notice that much. It had saved him from sneaking away in the middle of the night.

Jorgarn's mother had died giving birth to him – a loss the rest of his family, particularly his older brother, Pietro, seemed to place blame for squarely on Jorgarn's shoulders. He was almost 13 years old before the cook, kindly Mistress Nasso, pulled him aside to give him the whole story.

He would miss the household staff at the Longview Estate. Each of them had a hand in making sure Jorgarn was safe and happy. For the most part, they had succeeded. Jorgarn was a good-natured young man. His brother thought Jorgarn was too familiar with the household staff. Pietro preferred to lord over them, giving outlandish orders and then handing out harsh punishments when his orders were not obeyed to the smallest measure.

At least Jorgarn's stepmother had put a stop to that foolishness. Pietro was seven years older than Jorgarn and could best be described as feckless. Nevertheless, he was the eldest son of Lord Longview and Lady Marnit, the Lord's first wife and Jorgarn's mother. Thus, Pietro, despite his obvious failings and cruel demeanor, would be the next Lord Longview.

Although there was little love between the two, Jorgarn sometimes hoped his father would live forever, simply to deny Pietro a platform from which to perpetuate his wicked schemes and dreams. Jorgarn firmly believed that Pietro's first order would be the death of his younger brother and successor, should something happen to Pietro before providing a legitimate heir. Not that Jorgarn planned to make that death easy for Pietro. Although Jorgarn's departure would remove him from succeeding Pietro, he firmly believed Pietro's ill-temper eventually would lead his older brother to seek Jorgarn's death.

Jorgarn had, upon occasion, thought about removing Pietro from the line of succession. Jorgarn had for many years possessed the ability to slay his older brother but had always refrained from taking the ultimate step.

The reasons were numerous. Pietro's most egregious atrocities had always reached Jorgarn's ears secondhand. He had long ago convinced his brother to cease the folly of picking on the much larger, better-trained Jorgarn. So although he had heard numerous stories of Pietro's cruelty and ill temper, he had never personally witnessed one. He didn't doubt the stories were true and Jorgarn knew that should he ever witness Pietro in a dishonorable action, it would spell the end to his older brother's life.

The ramifications of Pietro's death also stilled Jorgarn's hand upon occasion. Jorgarn didn't fear retribution. He would willingly accept whatever fate was in store if it would rid the world of a menace such as Pietro. No, it was a fate worse than death that worried Jorgarn.

If Pietro should die, by his hand or by another's, Jorgarn would accede to a position that held no interest to him: that of Lord Longview's successor. As he grew closer to adulthood, the very thought of being forced to spend hours upon hours with his father caused Jorgarn's stomach to clench. But he would be duty-bound to accept the designation if Pietro were to perish.

In all likelihood Pietro's demise would precipitate a second death: Lord Longview's, for Jorgarn had little doubt if he was forced to spend much time with his father, he would eventually kill the man.

The thought of his father's death didn't bother Jorgarn much. Death was a part of life. But his father's passing would thrust Jorgarn into another role he didn't care for. The young man just coming into adulthood would become Lord Longview, a position he was ill trained to assume. Jorgarn, although young, was wise enough to recognize that his ascension to the leadership of the nation would not benefit anyone in the slightest. In fact, in his mind at least, its disastrous ramifications would be on par with Pietro's eventual succession.

So Jorgarn, to his chagrin, gave his tacit acceptance of Pietro's actions so long as no harm came to anyone Jorgarn cared about, much as the man's father, Lord Longview, had done.

Lord Longview had seen Pietro's behavior and it galled him. He wished for nothing more than to deliver Longview a land he had long overseen with what he viewed as kindness and generosity to a worthy successor. It was only his own poor luck that left him with a first-born son who was not that person - the same cruel luck that had cost him his lovely Marnit.

The Lord's ego could never admit that Marnit's death was as much his fault as anyone's. His wrath fell upon the hapless midwife who had presided at Jorgarn's birth. It had fallen on the groomsman who had suggested the midwife. It had fallen on other nameless, faceless persons. Sadly, it had also fallen on Jorgarn.

Nothing Jorgarn did either as a child or as a young man could garner his father's approval. Jorgarn's excellence in his school lessons only led to censure when his efforts fell ever so slightly short. Jorgarn's ability on a horse brought only castigation for pursuing such a "foolish hobby."

Of all the things Jorgarn attempted in failed efforts to gain his father's love, only his skill with weapons caught the man's eye. At first, he berated Jorgarn for learning war craft. It was an unfit skill for a priest, Lord Longview had claimed.

It took an animal to help Lord Longview appreciate his younger son. A boar, startled by some unseen force, came crashing through a street fair attended by Lord Longview and his second wife, Eslada. As the party dwellers scattered in frenzy and the men-at-arms' flails sent the scared animal careening toward the Lord and Lady who both stood frozen in fright Jorgarn plucked an arrow from his ever-present quill and killed the boar with a single shot through the eye. The charging animal died a scant four feet from Lord and Lady Longview.

The house servants and townsfolk praised Jorgarn for his marksmanship and cool head. Lady Eslada clasped the young man to her generous bosom and kissed him warmly on the cheeks and the forehead.

Lord Longview's ever-present scowl flickered for a mere moment as he cast a sidelong glance at his second son. He nodded curtly toward the boy and set out to find the source of the boar's agitation. Sadly, he already knew who was responsible the same person who was responsible for every nasty thing that happened in Longview Pietro, the heir to the lordship.


As it stood, Jorgarn had decided he would flee the territory before joining the priesthood. The priests of Longview were a secretive lot, prone to espousing eternal damnation for the slightest of sins. Jorgarn frequently wondered if there was a single human frailty that wouldn't eventually lead to an eternity in the fiery underworld. The little he heard from the nation's religious leaders led him to doubt there was.

A Longview priest spent the first 15 years of his servitude, for Jorgarn viewed the life as nothing less than slavery, in complete solitude. The novice was not allowed to speak or even to visit another living soul during his years of silent contemplation.

Then he was sent forth to cleanse the world of sin, real or imagined. Jorgarn didn't wonder why religion played so little part in the daily lives of most citizens. The few priests who made it through the rigorous training were often slain in the first village they visited. Those who weren't killed outright were ignored. Still, it was tradition and tradition was not to be ignored.

Sin was alive and well in Longview, and from the stories Eslada had told him of Emertland, it was alive and well there, too.

In Emertland, devotion was a private matter. There were houses of worship of which there were few in Longview but the matter of which God to worship and how to pay one's tribute was left to the individuals. Eslada had explained that the Lords and Ladies of the realm often took the place of religious figures in the lands they governed.

It took only a few moments of contemplation for Jorgarn to decide that he would never find himself in a cleric's robe.

He had secured enough victuals to last him a few days and his skill with projectile weapons would feed him thereafter. He had hidden most of his armaments in a cave in the forest. He could not go without them. He had brought a young groomsman into his confidence out of necessity and made arrangements to procure his horse the night before his 15th birthday. Everything was set for his escape from the priesthood, from Longview and from his family's scorn.

So Jorgarn was surprised when his father and stepmother paid an early morning visit to his chambers the day before his birthday. He considered jumping from the window and trying to make his escape. It was but 16 hours earlier than planned but he knew the fall would either kill him outright or severely injure him. Grudgingly, he admitted Lord and Lady Longview into his sitting room. He could scarcely deny them admittance.

His father wore the look of disgust that always settled on his face. However, it was his stepmother's look that made Jorgarn pause.

Eslada had never been cruel to Jorgarn. He thought her kind but he never thought her especially nice, either. She had enough sense to despise Pietro but almost everyone, save the ne'er-do-wells who did his bidding in the hope of gaining future riches, despised Pietro. Eslada didn't win any prizes for that bit of wisdom.

After the episode with the boar, Eslada had requested that Jorgarn accompany her as her guard during her infrequent trips from the manor. Lady Eslada traveled rarely but when she did, Jorgarn's father had assigned him as her shield. It was better than many of the tasks his father had sent Jorgarn's way so he didn't mind. It gave him the opportunity to ride his horse and, although Lady Eslada was never in danger, it gave Jorgarn a sense of pride to know that his stepmother thought highly enough of him to specifically request that he protect her.

She had introduced him to two men who knew how to handle a sword and instructed him to take lessons with them. She had offered praise for Jorgarn's efforts but praise was so foreign to him that he didn't recognize it for what it was. It was only as he grew older that he believed that Lady Eslada actually might like him.

As usual, Lord Longview was brusque and to the point.

"As you know, it is tradition that the second son of the Lord joins the priesthood," he said.

Jorgarn gulped noticeably but found his voice.

"Unfortunately, Lord Longview, I will not be participating in that tradition," Jorgarn said. He already stood as tall as his father and was a head taller than his brother. Jorgarn had decided that if his father sought to make him go with the priests, there would be bloodshed and Longview would have a new Lord earlier than expected.

"No, you won't," Longview said in an even voice. "Against my judgment, Lady Eslada has made other arrangements for you. You will travel to Emertland where you will serve its King. You leave in two hours. I trust you can be ready by then."

Lord Longview turned to leave but Lady Eslada closed the door and stayed behind.

She smiled and touched Jorgarn's cheek affectionately.

"I knew the priesthood was never for you, my dear," Eslada said. "Unfortunately, the post you are best suited for is denied to you as well. You will never be heir to the lordship. It was something I knew you would abide in order to avoid the priesthood."

Jorgarn tilted his head.

"Sadly, it means I must provide a child who can claim the lordship should ill befall Pietro," she said wearily. "But it will be worth it to secure your escape. My uncle is King Landor. In our country, the second son joins the military. He has agreed, with only my word, to accept you into his personal guard. I hope that my arrangements meet with your satisfaction. I thought them better than your other plan."

Jorgarn's mouth widened and his eyes widened but Eslada merely smiled sweetly.

"I am as friendly with the house workers as you are, Jorgarn," she said simply. "We both have the ability to remain somewhat invisible when it is necessary. I learned of your plans shortly after you made them. I suspected them even before you did. The military is a better place for a man of your talents, my dear. I think you will be happy there."

Eslada leaned forward and gave Jorgarn a soft kiss on his lips.

"I do pray," she added, "if something should happen to your father, that you will rescue me before Pietro has sworn fealty to the Emperor. I should not like to become your sister-in-law."

Jorgarn nodded mutely. Eslada was about 10 years older than Jorgarn and only three years older than Pietro. Jorgarn doubted Pietro would marry Eslada but he had no doubt that Pietro would find a use for her.

"I will, Lady," Jorgarn said when he found his voice. "Please know that I will do my best to protect you in the future as I have in the past. You have my word on that."

"Your word is all I require, young master Jorgarn," Eslada said lightly as she swept Jorgarn into a hug. "Although I am too young to be your mother, I do love you like a brother. If it weren't for my promise to secure your escape, I would gladly join you. At least with you in Emertland, I have hope that my cousin Denae will not meet the same fate as I. Another uncle of mine, Torbert, is Captain of the Guards. You will like him and he will like you. I am sure of it. Be well, Jorgarn. I truly believe this is the last we will see one another for a long while."

Eslada gave Jorgarn another warm embrace and exited the room hurriedly. Jorgarn set out to gather all the belongings he had stashed away in order to flee.


The journey from Longview to Emertland by ship was not long but it was arduous. As when around his friends who worked in the kitchen at Longview Manor, Jorgarn could see no sense in sitting idly by watching while others worked.

After stowing his belongings below deck, Jorgarn approached the captain to inquire if there was anything he could safely do to assist the crew. The query brought the captain up short. During his 40 years on the water, he had transported many a noble son or daughter. Jorgarn Elmwood was unique.

First, he brought no entourage and carried only a few belongings. He did not expect the crew to tote locker after locker aboard the ship. The young man arrived alone and carried all his belongings on board in one trip. He did not insist that the captain give up his quarters for the short passage, nor did he insist on being provided ale, wine or food from the steward in his first breath.

Now he was asking if he could assist the crew. It was no wonder, the captain thought, the young man was being sent away. He seemed to be far too decent a person to get along with lords and ladies. The old captain appraised the young man earnestly. He wasn't pasty white and frail like the other noblemen who had booked passage on his ship. The man actually looked as though he might have done a day's work or two in his life.

Still, if Jorgarn wanted to work, so be it. It wouldn't lessen the price of his passage and it would give the captain a chance to make up for all the times he had been forced to place his belongings in the hold because a passenger insisted upon using his cabin.

"Fine," the man growled. "Go with Trioset there. You can help him with the lines."

Jorgarn nodded and followed the young man in question. The captain kept a close eye on the young noble and, by the time the ship made port in Emertland, he wished that Jorgarn would have taken a calling to the sea instead of whatever fate his life held.


Sir Torbert, Captain of the Emertland Guard, expected a horse-drawn carriage and a group of 20 riders to bring Master Jorgarn to the castle. He was surprised when a fit, sunburned young man with unruly hair and a dirty cape presented himself with "Lady Eslada's regards."

His niece's letters had told him that Jorgarn would be unlike any scion Torbert had schooled before but it still didn't paint an adequate picture of the boy in front of him.

"Jorgarn Elmwood," Jorgarn said as he stood tall and straight. "Son of Lord Longview and Lady Marnit, stepson of Lady Eslada, at your service, Sir Torbert. I apologize for my appearance. I expected that I would be able to find you after I cleaned."

"Been in a scrape already, boy?" Torbert asked. The dirty cape and bloody hands were a sure sign that the man in front of him had stopped off for a tankard or five of ale before arriving.

"No, Sir Torbert," the young man said with embarrassment. "I assisted the sailors with passage. It was a bit more involved than I expected it to be."

"Trouble at sea?" Torbert asked.

"No, Sir," Jorgarn replied. "No trouble. I just hate to stand around and watch. I heard the crew was short two hands, so I offered."

He smiled ruefully.

"I am beginning to wish I hadn't," Jorgarn said. "A sailor's life is a hard life. I'm glad the passage was short. I'm not certain I would be able to get out of bed tomorrow if it were longer."

Torbert laughed.

"You still might not," Torbert said seriously. "It is early in the day and I expect you to participate in the rest of the lessons. I need to see where you are in your training. Who is your master trainer?"

Jorgarn stared at the man.

"I, uh, I suppose you are, Sir Torbert," Jorgarn answered. Two older men from the village had done his training. It was anything but structured. "I have no formal training of which to speak. I have no master trainer. Two gentries from my homeland taught me when they found time."

Sir Torbert's face creased in a frown. It was an expression Jorgarn had seen on his father's face many times.

"Then you will be extremely sore in the morning, if you manage to survive today," he said as he turned away. "You'll bunk in the second house. Your training begins after our noon meal."

Jorgarn lowered his head and went to find his accommodations.


The rooms were nicer than Jorgarn expected. Then he remembered that his companions were all second sons of noblemen of Emertland. He was aware of how young nobles acted. He had watched Pietro cut a wide swath through Longview without repercussions. While Jorgarn was chastised for every fault real or imagined Pietro could do was he pleased without rebuke.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.