Sweet Caroline - Cover

Sweet Caroline

 

Chapter 14

We’d gathered up all of our stuff from the car and brought it all inside. While doing this, Caroline said, “I guess you decided. That’s a great idea, using the same signage all three places. The signage on El Camino Real Freeway may have to comport to the rest of the signage of the other stores in the center. You have a unique look to the O’Hara Real Estate sign you have now. That could be a deal-breaker if they won’t let you use your own ‘logo.’ Did you, by chance, get a trademark for it?”

“I’m not sure, but Sheila would know ... she would have been the one to do it. I’ll call her.”

“Hey Sheila, Rich here. Did we get a trademark on the O’Hara Real Estate logo we use as our name? We did. Great. Yes, it was Caroline who thought I should call. You’re right, Sheila. I will, thanks ... bye.”

“What was that ‘You’re Right’ about Rich?” asked Caroline.

“That I should do this.”

I picked her up and took her into the bedroom ... and the phone rang. I picked it up with Caroline still in my arms.

“Hello, this is Richard O’Hara.”

“Hello, Richard, this is Detective Jonas Hornicek.”

“Yes, Detective, what can I help you with? Has Robbie confessed to anything?”

“Actually, Richard ... he’s making accusations.”

“What do you mean, accusations?”

“He says you’re having an improper and illegal relationship with your sister.”

“That’s ridiculous, Detective. What does that have to do with the break-in at my brokerage?”

“Technically, nothing. I thought it was a load of crap, but I had to call and ask the question. I need to ask a few more questions, do you have a couple of minutes?”

“Certainly, Detective. Shoot ... sorry, go ahead.”

“Where do you currently live, Richard?”

“I very recently bought a home in Linfield Oaks, about two blocks north of The Stanford Shopping Center.”

“And where does Caroline live?”

“She lives at home with our parents, who are off on a 115 day, ‘Around the World Cruise,’ leaving about a week ago. Due to them being gone, she’s moved into my new three-bedroom house. She starts Stanford in the fall, and she will live with me during her years at Stanford. She also works for me as my Executive Assistant, when she’s available.”

“OK, Richard. You must have read my mind, because you basically answered all of my questions in those last couple of sentences. If I have any questions, for either of you, can I reach you at this number?”

“Certainly, Detective ... pardon me ... but did Robbie admit to breaking into the offices? What about the ATM camera footage?”

“This is an open investigation, and I should officially tell you, that I can’t tell you. So, you didn’t hear this from me, OK?”

“Sure, Detective,” I said with a smile on my face.

“He didn’t admit to anything, but after we received the subpoenaed camera footage, it showed him clearly doing all of the vandalism himself, including taking all of the computers and putting them in his car and driving off. We’ve got him dead to rights. He wanted a plea deal, based on his accusation of you and your sister. As soon as I heard that, I laughed out loud. I seem to remember the type of girl you date, Rich. Caroline doesn’t fit any of those criteria that I remember you having back in your college days. Don’t worry about it. He’s got the potential to be in jail for, at least, twelve years. Bye, Rich.”

“Goodbye, Detective ... and thank you for the ‘un-official’ information.”


“Caroline, has Aunt Flo left yet?”

“Probably in less than 24 hours, Rich. So, Robbie tried to plea a deal by...”

“By trying to get me arrested for having ‘an improper and illegal relationship with my sister.’”

“Wow, that ATM footage must have him dead to rights, huh?”

“Yep, Caroline ... exactly the same expression that Jonas just used. After hearing what Robbie had said to Jonas, I’d like to try to make my case for us moving out of the area, where we can live as a married couple, and still work in Real Estate, near a University for you to go to. There are a lot of people who know us as brother and sister around here, and we’ve been telling new people we’re married. Don’t you think that eventually the ‘Shit is gonna hit the fan?’”

“But we just bought a house, Richard. Plus, college, what about college?” Caroline commented.

“There is USF and UC Davis, CSU Sacramento all only three hours away from our folks, but nobody knows us there. Stan could run the business, if we wanted to keep it at all. Hey, we could franchise the name, and Stan could be the Broker. We could make it work, I want it to work so badly. I want to walk down the street holding your hand, kissing you in public. I just want to keep the world out of our business ... you know what I mean?”

She replied, “You make a good case for it, Rich. Let me sleep on it.”

“I found a cost of living calculator on the net, comparing Palo Alto to Sacramento. Look at this really quick, Caroline?”

“Look at the difference in housing, Rich. Can that be right? Housing is over 80% cheaper in Sacramento than in Palo Alto. Yeah, but your $250K a year is comparable to only $98K there. Look up other universities within 100 miles, Rich. Oooh. What is that one? Click on that—University of the Pacific, in Stockton, compare COL between Stockton and Palo Alto. Wow. I never realized how big Stockton was.”

“We’re both tired, Caroline. Let’s look at this fresh after a power nap, OK. I have to address the gang here in seven hours. It takes a lot out of you being accused of something. Especially, if you are actually doing it! Caroline, are we having an improper relationship? I don’t think so, I love you so much.”

“OK, loverboy. Rich, I’m beginning to understand your concern about being found out ... I’ll lay down with you for a while. Have to be able to keep up with my Big Brother. Love you.”


I woke up about ninety minutes later, quite refreshed. Meeting is in six hours. Lots to do, still. I didn’t see Caroline, but had an idea where I’d find her ... on the Internet.

“Hey, beautiful—Whatcha doing?”

“Checking out the webpage for The University of the Pacific, looking up Stockton, and seeing that we could get twice the home for the money we spent on this place.”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.