Sweet Caroline - Cover

Sweet Caroline

 

Chapter 13

I called Sheila over, who had been picking up the mess left behind and I asked her to gather up all of the current listing hard files, along with whatever office supplies are salvageable. We subscribe to an online backup service and all of our computer files are backed up every 60 minutes. That’s money well spent that Robbie didn’t even know about. He must have thought that stealing the computers would have shut down the Brokerage completely.

The backup service had been Caroline’s idea.


Caroline was very sad on the trip to the house. She was worried about Sheila, Stan and all of the part-time Realtors we had ... especially Sheila.

I’d met Sheila when I was getting my MRED from USC. We became good friends. She dated my best friend from USC, Jackson Littleton, who became a CPA and was raking in the dough. They got married, and when I opened O’Hara Real Estate, Jackson asked if I needed an Office Manager. Sheila has been with me ever since, becoming quite literally, my right hand ‘man.’

Having something of a brainstorm, I called Sheila, and put it on speaker.

“Hello, Richard. What’s going on? Has Robbie admitted to anything?”

“I don’t know yet, Sheila. That’s not why I called. I have decided not to reopen the office.”

“I’m sorry, Richard. I know you loved that place. So, maybe Jackson can find something at the CPA’s office for me to do.”

“No, no. Not at all. That’s not what I’m saying at all. I still want you to work for me ... just out of your home, instead. I’ll set you up with a file cabinet or two, a desk, a computer and all of the forms ... all at your place. You’ll be able to write-off that portion of your home you use for the business. I don’t want to lose my favorite employee over all of this, Sheila.”

“I was your favorite, until your sister came aboard. She’s got quite a head on her shoulders, and anyone can see you guys got it bad for each other.”

Blushing, Caroline said, “What did you just say, Sheila?”

“You can fool all of the guys, but I have that radar that tells me when a guy has come off the market ... and you have, Richard.”

“I knew there was a reason I kept you around. You’ll be my South-Side operations manager and Caroline will be my Executive Assistant. Would you have a problem, reporting to her, and seeing even less of me than you do now?”

“Not even a little. Hmm ... South-Side Operations Manager. Would I get a raise?”

“If you were to get a Real Estate License, I could justify probably doubling what you are paid right now, Sheila. The business will pay for your online schooling to get the license, then we go from there. Call your husband and make sure I’m not stepping on anybody’s toes by asking you to work from your home. Get back to me before the Monday meeting, OK?”

“Sure, Boss.”

Once we disconnected, Caroline said, “That’s really sweet of you to do that, Rich. She might have a little crush on you, you know. You are awfully easy on the eyes.”

“Aw, shucks ... ma’am. Oh. I’m going to call Stan and let him know everything that has happened today.”

I got Stan on the phone and told him about the break-in, and that we think it was Robbie. I also told him about what I had offered Sheila. He thought that letting her work from home was a great idea. He asked if I was going to try to replace Robbie as a full-time Realtor. I told him I was unsure about that.

He confided that he thought Robbie was trouble waiting to happen, but certainly hadn’t expected him to have a ‘breakdown.’ I mentioned the Monday meeting and gave him the address. I wonder if any of my part-timers want to go full-time?


Caroline and I had settled back in at the house.

“Caroline, how light of a schedule can you have at Stanford and keep your Academic Scholarship?”

“Just a minute. I’ll look and see. That one ... no ... not that ... oh, here it is, I have to be taking 10 credits each semester. That’s maybe three or four classes, depending on subject matter. Why, Rich?”

“I was thinking that you could take a full load the first semester, then minimum after that.”

“OK, I get it. Take a full load, and work on my online licensing at night. Get my license and then drop to minimum and be your North-End Operations Manager, along with your Executive Assistant, while still being your Slut-in-Training.”

“Oh, Caroline. You are so through with training. Speaking of that, what is the status of Aunt Flo?”

“One more day ... maybe two at the most, Wichie.”

“Good news. Oh, Caroline ... Have I told you today how much I love you?”

“Never enough, Rich. I love you too.”

“Take a break from your Stanford paperwork and take a look at the Online Real Estate software.”


I walked into the kitchen where Caroline was looking over her Stanford packet and said, “Caroline, you want to take a drive with me?”

“Where to, lover?”

“You’ll see, if I remember correctly, Caroline.”

“Let me guess, red rings.”

“Now, how the hell did you know that? You’re just too damn smart, you know,” I said.

“It was something in your voice I heard. I can’t explain it exactly. Am I dressed appropriately?”

“You always look good, Caroline. Let’s go.”

We actually went to the Northeast side of The Stanford Shopping Center. We parked in the lot and started walking along. Caroline walked with me arm in arm ... I can sure get used to this, having her next to me. I could feel her leaning into me as we walked. This is what love is, I know it now.

Suddenly, she was getting excited, because straight ahead was the Victoria’s Secret that we’ve been to. She looked at me and said, “Are we going to Victoria’s Secret, Rich?”

“No, Caroline.” We walked past it and there was one of the few empty storefronts in the entire shopping center. You could see someone inside. “We’re meeting someone here, Caroline.”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.