Sweet Caroline - Cover

Sweet Caroline

 

Chapter 7

I called Raymond Whitfield, who’s helped my Dad with a number of Real Estate transactions in the past. He’d be there in about 15 minutes. I told this to Molly.

Less than 90 minutes later, Caroline and I were the sole owners of a beautiful 4-bedroom 3-bathroom home, with all existing furniture. My hand is always sore after a deal, with all the documents you must sign. Especially as a buyer

I estimated that between the original $1.2 million price and the finished deal we saved close to 460K if you add in the value of the furniture. Talk about an anxious seller. After some wrangling with Raymond, we got the PITI (Principal, Interest, Taxes, Insurance) below 2K a month. I’m going to be living with my smart, beautiful and Sweet Caroline.

With the deal done, I started to think more about the startling conversation I’d had with my Dad – he’s only 53, my Mom is about to turn 50. Why would he have wanted to have such an important discussion just before he leaves on a trip that’s going to last 115 days?

They’ll be traveling down the west coast of South America, over to Australia and back up the east coast of South America and home again. I better check in that desk and see if there’s anything that would help explain his strange behavior.

We went back to the house, I went back to my place and changed into some more comfortable clothes, and then went into Dad’s office, used the key and opened the desk. Carol popped in, having changed into a wonderfully red bikini that was just like the one that changed our relationship forever.

“What are you looking for, Rich?”

“I thought I’d look through this stuff, just in case there was something that explains the conversation I had with Dad. Go ahead and jump in the pool ... I’ll be there in a little bit.”

She walked up to me, kissed me very softly, then stopped and said, “You’ll tell me about anything you find, no matter what?”

“No matter what, Lover.”

I gave her a great big hug, slapped her on the butt and shooed her off to the pool. Damn, she has a great butt.

Inside the desk was an envelope labeled ‘Richard and Caroline.’ At first, I hesitated to open it ... but I knew I had to — Inside it was a letter addressed to both Caroline and myself. I opened it and it read as follows:

“Richard and Caroline–If you’re reading this, it’s because something has happened to me. About eleven years ago I went to the doctor for a regular visit and he found a nodule that was tested and found to be a form of cancer. I’ve had many tests and this may or may not eventually kill me. The doctor re-tests me every year and, at the moment ... all is well.”

“Your mother knows all about it – from the beginning. She says we must ‘live our lives.’ That’s a contributing reason why we decided to finally go on our Around the World Cruise. It might be our best, last chance.”

“With the planning of this long cruise, I thought it best to gather up these materials, in case something happens while on this cruise. I know you very well, Richard, and, I wouldn’t be surprised if you are reading this right after we left, wondering what your old man is doing? In this envelope you will find a key to my fire-proof file cabinet behind you.”

My Dad knew me well. So far this has been about, as I had expected. My instincts that he was ill had been correct, back to the letter.

“In it, you’ll find all of the paperwork, regarding this house and its contents and our cars, along with a life insurance policy on both myself and your mother, as well as our wills. My insurance has a reimbursement value of $10,000,000 and your mothers’ is $6,000,000.”

“We purchased these many years ago and expect them to help you and Caroline, along with your siblings, Jackson and Sharon, move on with your lives. On my death, your mother gets the house, on her subsequent death you, Caroline, Jackson and Sharon each get a 25% ownership in the Insurance policies, the house, and the business. You will be the executor of our estate.”

“Lastly – I’ve seen over the last few years, the way you look at your sister, Caroline.”

“Dammit – He did know,” I said to myself, and couldn’t hold back the tears any longer.

I went back to the letter:

“You know I love you and Caroline, and if you love her as much as I see on your face, than your love for each other is both, true and sincere. Be careful-both of you. Your mother doesn’t know, although I may talk to her about it while on this cruise.”

“Whatever has or will happen to me and/or your mother, I expect you to take care of Caroline, Richard and love her completely and sincerely. When I look at her — I see her mother. When I look at you-I see a younger, better looking, version of myself.”

I folded it back up and brought it with me out to the pool and gave it to Caroline. She saw I’d been crying.

“Read it,” I said.

I watched her read it, and watched her reactions as she got to each of the salient details. She softly started to cry, as I heard her say ‘He knows’ and she finished reading ... crying, and then she gave it back to me.

She started to bubble, which I knew meant she was about to sob. I had never stopped. I put down the envelope, went over to her, and sobbed with her. We held each other very close. We just ... kept crying. After a bit, Caroline turned her head up to me and said, “Richard – what do we do about this?”

I looked down upon her beautiful face and said, “Just live our lives, Caroline – Just live our lives.”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.