Sweet Caroline - Cover

Sweet Caroline

 

Chapter 6

The next day I got up earlier than I’d really expected and decided to see if I could help Mom and Dad pack the SUV. I crossed ‘the pond’ and came in the back door of their house and said, “Hey guys – how can I help?”

My Dad, Michael, and my mother, Jennifer, were doing some last minute, “Oh, I forgot’s” and I snickered every time one of them started a sentence with that.

“Dad?”

“Yeah, Rich.”

“If you don’t want to leave the SUV at the airport, I could go with you and drive it home and park it. It would save you all of those parking fees.”

“You know son, I honestly hadn’t thought about that. With everything else going on, I just kind of brain-farted that. Sure. If you’re available, that will save me over... $1,200. Nice catch, son.”

Just then Caroline walked in, as beautiful as ever, and asked, “Richard – what are you doing up so early?”

“I was just offering to take Mom and Dad to the airport so I can bring the SUV home.”

“That’s a great idea – I want to go too ... please, Daddy?”

He quickly broke down and said, “Have I ever said NO to my little girl?”

Mom offered up, “No, but you say it to me all of the time – I can’t believe we’re actually going on this cruise, Rich and Caroline. But, we booked over 200 of the people going and the commission from that is $2K per person, totaling $400K.”

“So, I talked your father into it. We’ve loaded you two up with groceries, and there’s an envelope with $12k for incidentals while we’re gone. This is going to be the second honeymoon we never had time for.”

“And third and fourth and fifth,” chuckled my Dad.

“Caroline, get ready ... we’re leaving in five minutes.”

“OK, Daddy” – she looked at me for a split second and left the room.

“Richard?” Dad was using his ‘serious’ voice.

“Yeah, Dad?”

“You know how much your mother and I, love you and Caroline, correct?”

“Yeah, Dad – I know, and so does Caroline.”

I wonder what this is leading up to?

“This is the longest cruise your mother and I have ever taken, and ... and ... I want you to take good care of our little baby girl, you got me?”

I quasi-saluted and said, “Yes – Sir.”

“Jenny – could you leave us alone for a second? I need to talk to Richard, man-to-man for a minute, please?”

He was getting emotional, which caused me to be as well.

“OK, Mitch (Mom’s nickname for him),” she hesitated a moment, “Are you all right?”

“Yeah, I just need to talk to my son for a minute, OK?”

Caroline just walked in, and Jennifer said, taking her by her arm, “The men have got to talk.”

The ladies stepped out.

“Richard – listen to me very carefully ... don’t talk until I’m done, please? I should’ve brought his up before, but now is the time.”

He was getting very emotional, I could tell by his demeanor.

“Son, a few years back, with the help of a friend, your mother and I wrote wills. Of course, you know how we always over-plan?”

“Well, the wills are locked in my desk, along with our insurance policies. If ... anything happens on this cruise or ... anytime else, for that matter ... I want you to know your Mom and I love you and Caroline. Here’s the key to my desk. Guard it, and your sister, with your life. She really looks up to you and I can see the love ... bond you two are forming with each other. Treat her well, son.”

Dad was about to cry, I could tell. So was I.

I took his hand, realizing exactly what he just said to me, and gripped it firmly and said in response, “I will Dad – I ... I love her!”

“I know son – I know.”

I don’t know why, but I was crying all during this speech of his. We were both clearing our eyes from the emotion of the moment when we heard the girls talking as they came back into the kitchen.

“Is everything all right, honey?” mom asked.

“Yeah,” he said wiping his eyes. “Everything is copasetic, dear. Let’s do this thing.”

Caroline grabbed my arm as we were walking and asked me, “Is Daddy OK?”

“Yeah,” I told her. “He told me how much he loves you and me. I am pretty sure he knows about us.”

“What did he say?”

“I’ll tell you on the way back home, Caroline, OK?”

“OK, Richard.”


Mom and Dad each took six suitcases, including a suitcase full of soft-sided bags for bringing home all the goodies they plan to purchase on the trip. We all hugged each other goodbye and waved to them as they got on the plane.

Caroline and I turned to each other and both of us gave a great big sigh as their plane took off on its way to the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport.

As we were walking back to the car, Caroline slipped her hand into mine and gave me a kiss on the cheek and asked me, “Now tell me, what did Daddy say to you? Mom and I could tell you both had been crying. What is it, Rich?”

During the drive home, I re-visited the entire conversation between Dad and I, including the moment I told him how much I love her.

“You told him that? Richard, why would you tell him that?”

“Caroline ... he was pouring his guts out, letting down that devil-may-care attitude he always seems to be in and it seemed appropriate that I told him, and I did.”

“So, he’s not dying ... is he?” she asked.

“He didn’t say that explicitly, but I was expecting something like that, when you consider the tone of the conversation we just had. Cheer up, sis – we’ve got people to do and things to see ... wait — reverse that. Let’s get home, change into our appointment clothes and go get something to eat.”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.