Pelle the Collier - Cover

Pelle the Collier

Copyright© 2012 by Argon

Chapter 22: How the Black Death Comes To The Lands

Historical Sex Story: Chapter 22: How the Black Death Comes To The Lands - This is the story of Pelle the Collier; how he saved Birkenhain lands and avenged his father and his liege lord. It is also the story of Ingeburg, the late Baron's beautiful bastard daughter, who was banned from the castle as a small girl. 14th century fiction!

Caution: This Historical Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Consensual   Romantic   Historical   Cuckold   First   Pregnancy  

It was Spring Moon when the wall around Lemdalen was finished. Father Ortwinus conducted the inauguration, blessing the wall and the gate tower. The baron sent his greetings. What Pelle could gather from the messenger, Birkenhain was preparing for the Black Death. In Rennenberg lands the pestilence had already wiped out entire villages and the count of Rennenberg had implemented desperate and harsh measures against the spread barring all strangers from entry into town and castle.

A week later another messenger arrived from Birkenhain. Pelle was sitting at noon meal with Ingeburg, Gebhardt, and his scribe when the man arrived. One look told Pelle that the man had come in great rush.

“You bear news from our gracious Lord?” he inquired.

“Indeed, worthy Reeve. My Lord speaks, will my brother close the gates of Lemdalen and bar all men and women, elders and children, Christian and Jew, aye, even holy men, from entry until such time when the Scourge of Death, the Black Pestilence have left Birkenhain Lands. Such is the danger that villages and towns whole are left without a living soul within a week once the Black Death strikes, and the learned men and doctors of divinity tell us that keeping out strangers will keep out the Plague. So speaks our Lord.”

“Brave messenger, tell our Lord that Lemdalen’s gates will be closed ere the vesper bell sounds. Tell me, is Birkenhain safe?”

“There is unrest among the guilds, Reeve. People say to do away with the accursed tribe, for the wrath of God is upon those who shield the murderers of Christ, our saviour. The abbot of Tosdalen has taken to preaching against the Jews, but our gracious lord has forbidden him entry to town and castle. News have come from Rennenberg and from the bishop. Our Holy Father Clement has commanded all Christendom to stop the killing of Jews without proper trial. Yet, the spice trader Avraham was beaten to death three nights ago in his shop.”

“Have you heard of Levy and his daughter?” Pelle asked sharply whilst Ingeburg almost jumped from her chair.

“They keep to their house. People say he won’t leave because all his gold is in the house.”

Pelle turned pale. This was just the rumour they needed. Thirst for gold and the incendiary preachings of the fat abbot might soon lead to violence. Pelle made up his mind.

“I shall ride to Birkenhain this hour. Gebhard, secure the village and my house. Ingeburg, do not worry. I shall be back by noon tomorrow, but I have to fulfil a sacred duty. Have word sent to Tjark and bid him come into Lemdalen with all the people from the clearing. Have them bring their bows and arrows: they can help guard the village.”

Ingeburg stood close to her husband. “Will you rescue Rebecca, Pelle?” she whispered.

“Aye, that I shall. It is what I swore to Levy, and now is the time to keep my word. All the years I plied my trade as collier ... Now, wait! Indeed, why not! Messenger, return without me. My tasks are here in Lemdalen.”

His wink told Ingeburg not to pursue this, and she nodded. The messenger left then, and the moment he was gone, Pelle stormed upstairs. He returned, not a quarter hour later, wearing his old collier garb. He grinned at Ingeburg and Gebhardt.

“I believe I shall deliver the coal again. Ingeburg, wish me luck!”

“God be with you, my husband. Be careful, too, for you are the light of my life.”

“Be strong now, my wife! Troubled times are coming. Let no man or woman enter this house and be vigilant at all times!”

Carrying his good yew stave and his quiver, but also his sword, Pelle left Lemdalen on horse back. By early afternoon, he reached the clearing and saw the smoke from one of the new kilns. Five men were working to fill another kiln whilst a sixth, Matthias, watched the one currently charring. They all stopped their work and gathered around Pelle.

“Tjark, brother, I need a wagon filled with coal sacks and within the hour. Do not ask questions, just start piling the coal on the wagon.”

Puzzled, the men started to load one of the two wagons whilst Pelle explained the situation. Tjark was worried as was Matthias. They were exposed on the clearing in these coming troubles.

“Flee you to Lemdalen, friends, and take your dearest belongings,” Pelle instructed. “Make haste, too, for the Black Death moves like a wildfire.”

Tjark nodded. “My father will take us in, but where can Matthias and Karol’s family go?”

“Let them take Helge’s house. Margrite’s mother does not need a large house for herself.”

In very short time the wagon was piled high with coal sacks. Pelle left his horse with Tjark and climbed on the wagon seat letting the whip crack.

“Wish me luck friends!” he shouted, and then the wagon rumpled along the forest path and towards Birkenhain.

It was getting close to dark when he approached the gates of Birkenhain. At first the guards would not let him pass, but Pelle got one of the soldiers to run to the master of the forge. The good man was surprised to see Pelle, but he was quick witted enough not to say anything except giving orders to let Pelle with his load pass. Once alone with the forge master, Pelle explained that he had urgent and secret business for the baron. He left the coal wagon with the journeymen and apprentices at the forge for unloading and made his way to town.

At Levy’s house, he noticed the smell of shit. The people had thrown dung and shit at Levy’s door. He kicked the door softly.

“Levy, it’s your Gentile partner. Open up!”

A strained whisper sounded from inside.

“Pelle?”

“Yes, it’s me. Let me in!”

The door opened quickly, and Pelle slipped in. Levy looked haggard and worried.

“Friend, it is dangerous for you to come.”

“It is more dangerous for you to stay.”

“This is my house, and it was my father’s house before me, and my father’s father built it. I shall not give it up and let it be soiled.”

“Friend, I came to bring you and Rebecca to safety.”

“How do you propose to bring us out of this town? They watch us, fearful that I might escape with the gold they ascribe to me.”

“I thought of my old coal wagon, under the empty sacks.”

“That might work, friend, but I shall not leave my house. Yet I ask you to bring my only child to safety. She is up in the castle tending the young baroness but I expect her back soon. She comes with one of the guards for protection, yet she was hit by a brick three days hence, thrown by some coward. Please bring her to safety, friend.”

“Are you certain that your wish is to stay, come what may?”

“Come what may, friend. What gold I own is in safekeeping with the baron.”

“Then I shall better pick Rebecca up at the castle. They will not watch me there.”

“You have a good head, Pelle. Oh, one more thing: when you leave my house, curse me and call me a blood sucker. Pretend to be a debtor.”

“Do you think this is needed?”

“Yes. Now wait whilst I pack a few things in a bundle for Rebecca.”

Within a quarter hour Levy was back pressing a bundle into Pelle’s hands.

“Her clothes and her mother’s things. Go now. May you walk in peace, my friend!”

“May God hold his protecting hands over you, Friend Levy. Be watchful!”

Pelle left then, cursing under his breath. “Accursed son of a bitch!” he hissed. “The outrage, to demand interest from a Christian freeholder!”

Pelle saw shadows lurking in the corners of the surrounding houses, and he increased his tirades.

“Ha, interest! The nerve of this dog! I shall pay him back with interest, never fear. To think that I only borrowed ten silver Groschen and now he wants sixteen back!”

They left him alone as he marched uphill towards the castle, and once out of sight from Levy’s house Pelle’s hand around his sword hilt relaxed. He did not meet Rebecca on the way and he decided to enter the castle and report to the baron. The guards did not recognise him, but the chamberlain was summoned and allowed Pelle entry.

“What news do you bring, Reeve, and why this masquerade?”

“I came to see the Maid Rebecca, Levy’s daughter. I have need of her knowledge.”

“She is with the young baroness. I can tell her to wait. Our Lord will want to speak to you.”

Pelle looked down at his garb. “I’m not clothed properly...” he began, but the Chamberlain shook his head.

“He is in his private study. There is no need for fancy dress. Come with me!”

Siegfrid of Birkenhain himself was dressed in less than courtly clothes. He was in fact wearing a padded tunic, the underwear worn under plate armour. He looked up as Pelle was ushered in.

“Brother, what brings you here?”

“My Lord, I only came to see my friend Levy and offer him my hospitality in the turmoils to come. He refused me, but asked me to bring his daughter to safety.”

“I wish he’d listen to you. Old Avraham was murdered, and I fear Levy may be next. Now the rumours start that the young Jewess is a sorceress. We are trying to keep her here, but there are many in the castle who loathe her presence. Yet, to bring her out of town may just start the riots I try to quell.”

“I have my coal wagon, and I thought to bring her out under the empty sacks.”

“That is a good plan. Can you rely on the people in Lemdalen to accept her presence?”

“Father Ortwinus is a good man; I am sure he will keep his peace. The most important men in the village have profited greatly from the building of the wall; their support is a given. Some trouble makers may grumble secretly, but I have Gebhardt and his men, and a good eight or nine villagers, kin and friends, who are loyal. Lemdalen is secure for you, Lord.”

“That is good tidings, Reeve. I wish ... Say, Brother, I am worried about my wife and my son. There is unrest in the town thanks to that infernal abbot who keeps preaching nonsense. When the Plague will strike and my armsmen will be decimated, who will defend castle and town? The abbot will use his cunning to incite the simpletons against me and my family. Remember, my son stands between the abbot and Birkenhain lands.”

“Do you wish for me to hunt him down?” Pelle asked grittily.

“The good count of Rennenberg is doing his best to convince the bishop of the abbot’s disobedience against the Holy Father, but that will take time and no prelate will take to the road in these times. What you can do for me is to host my wife and my son in Lemdalen until the times get better. I can spare a half score men to add to your dozen. Lemdalen is out of the way of any highway, and a score men-at-arms can easily hold the place against marauders.”

“If you, Lord, entrust your wife and son to my protection I shall pledge my life for their safety.”

“Best we have you move right this night. I shall pick the men personally who will accompany you. You will hide the Jewess under the sacks, and my wife will travel in a simple wagon to avoid any trouble. Have some food now, Brother, whilst I will make the preparations.”

Pelle was slightly stunned at this development. He had only planned on bringing Levy and Rebecca to safety, but now he was charged with the baroness and her young son. Pelle’s son too when all was told. He ate some cold cuts and bread and washed it down with thin ale, but then he went down to the forge and drove his wagon up to the castle.

When he arrived in the great court yard, Rebecca came running.

“Pelle, is it true? Does my father send me away?”

“He wants you safe, Rebecca. Look, he gave me this bundle for you, with your dresses and your mother’s belongings.”

“Cannot you take him too?”

“I offered it and beseeched him to come, but he is set on not giving up the house of his fathers.”

“They will kill him. Cannot you talk to him again?”

“It would not avail us. His pride and honour will not allow him to leave. Come now, Rebecca, let us hide you under the sacks, and don’t you move on the way out of the town. The baron will keep up the order in town, and likely you will see your father again in but a few weeks.”

Rebecca resigned herself and let Pelle pile coal sacks over her. She would need a bath later, but the pile of sacks looked unsuspicious. Just a few moments later, another wagon drove up, one with seats in the back. The baron came out then.

“Brother, you had better leave the town in your guise as collier and wait for the wagon and the men at the crossing by the stone bridge. Paulus here will ride with you; he is on my body guard and a good man. If you are challenged, you are returning to Lemdalen after delivering coal and you offered Paulus to ride with you as he is leaving my service.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.