On the Other Hand - Cover

On the Other Hand

Copyright© 2012 by Coaster2

Chapter 4: Off to a Rocky Start

She didn't show. I waited until nine, wondering if I had made a mistake with the time, but she didn't show. I was really deflated. I had been anticipating this meeting since I'd signed off with her last night. It was almost the only thing I thought about today, with the predictable result that my work suffered. And now this. She didn't show up for our date.

I drove home and took off my tie and flopped down in my big chair in the living room. What a let down. Was this what I could look forward to? Being jerked around in the attempt to find a woman who would be compatible? I let out a sigh and wondered why she didn't at least let me know that she wasn't going to meet with me.

Of course, when the brain goes to sleep, it misses things. Things like, she didn't have my phone number. Like most media people, we have unlisted numbers for a variety of reasons. She didn't have my phone or cell number so she couldn't call. What could she have done?

I pushed myself out of the chair and walked quickly to my office. I booted up the computer and clicked on Skype. And there it was. She had tried to call me at seven-thirty and of course, I wasn't online then.

Sorry, Will. Jimmy is sick and I don't want to leave him. Let's talk tomorrow. We can set another time then.

Nicky

I felt a flood of relief go through my body. She didn't stand me up. Jimmy got sick and like any good mother, she had to stay with him. I could live with that. We would talk tomorrow and make another date. Is that what it was, a date? Yeah, in my mind, it was a date.

I lay in bed for some time, not ready for sleep. Let's see. Tomorrow I would call her and give her my phone numbers and my e-mail address. Maybe she'd give me her numbers too. Wait a minute, I had her e-mail address. It was on her response to my ad. HighlandLass84. I had that burned into my brain already. First thing I would send her an e-mail. I could check it at the office as well as at home. I'd know as soon as she responded.

At six am Friday morning I e-mailed Nicole.

Hi Nicole:

Got your message about Jimmy. I hope he's okay today. You always worry when little kids get sick because they can't always tell you what's wrong. Anyway, I thought I'd send you my phone numbers and proper e-mail address in case you need to get hold of me. I really missed getting a chance to meet you last night, so I'm hoping it won't be too long before Jimmy is well again and we can get together as planned.

Cheers,

Will

William H. Travers

Bay City Post News

888-505-0002 ext 161

cell 395-798-5491

e-mail: willt@BayCtypost.net

I was in a much better frame of mind considering I still hadn't met Nicole in person. I had given her all my personal contact information as a statement of trust. I hoped it would be returned.

I heard the ding of a new e-mail arriving just before eight o'clock that morning and checked it immediately.

Hi Will:

So sorry about last night. Glad you got my message. I couldn't find a phone number for you and no one in your office would give me one. Thanks for sending me all that this morning. Now we won't be out of touch. Jimmy is home today, just making sure he's okay and he'll likely be back in school on Monday. Mom worries about him almost as much as I do.

What about Sunday? Tomorrow is a busy day for me, shopping and catching up on housework and laundry.

Let me know,

Nicky

395-211-1766

cell 395-877-2535

e-mail highlandlass84@4square.com

I must have been chuckling as I read the e-mail because Sandy Domenicelli stopped in front of my desk and asked, "What's so funny?"

"Nothing, Sandy. I just made a date with a really interesting lady."

"Good for you," he grinned before marching off.

Yeah ... good for me.


I was watching, hardly taking my eyes off the front door of the bistro I'd chosen for our first meeting. Two o'clock we agreed, and it was now five minutes before two. I was trying not to be too anxious, but not really succeeding. I didn't really understand why this was so important to me, but my reaction told me it was.

When she pushed through the door a minute later I immediately rose so that she could see me. She did, smiled, and strode confidently toward my little table. Her hand was extended and she hadn't lost the genuine smile that enhanced her already lovely features.

As she approached I quickly surveyed Nicole Carlisle. Short, perhaps five-foot-two, slim build, brown hair with a hint of red, great smile showing perfect teeth, casually but smartly dressed. My first impression was career woman. All-in-all, impressive.

"Hi, Will. So nice to meet you," she said as I took her hand. She had a firm, confident grip as she moved to her seat.

"Hi, Nicole. It's very nice to meet you, too."

That seemed to be the end of our conversation for the moment. Neither of us had been able to start a topic and were relieved when the waitress came by and asked if we were ready to order. I chose a coffee and Nicole asked for green tea.

"We've had a lot to think about in the last couple of days," I finally began, "but I'm not sure where to start. I feel like I already know quite a bit about you, but in truth, I don't. I guess my question to you is why an attractive woman like you would need to use the Internet to meet someone? I would have thought there would be plenty of men interested in you ... and Jimmy."

She was shaking her head even before I finished my comment.

"Nope. Maybe I'm too fussy, or too nervous about strange men, or too ... something. I've been out on dates in the last five years. I've even gotten involved with a couple of guys during that time. None of them were right. But, the same question goes for you too. I'm pleasantly surprised by you, Will."

"Thank you. Well, let's see. I'm not one for the bar scene, most of my female acquaintances are married, I won't get involved with someone in my workplace, and I haven't dated in ten years since I met the woman who would become my wife."

She was nodding and smiling slightly, so she wasn't surprised at my answers.

"All good reasons for a handsome guy to be looking somewhere else. In a way, I'm like you. I avoid workplace romances, I don't frequent bars alone, and I've been burned a couple of times with guys who were married and looking for a mistress."

"Ah, that's one I have only encountered in the responses to my Internet posting. I mean ... married women coming on to me."

"Trust me, it can happen. Lot's of women are looking for a fling with a young, virile guy to make them feel better about themselves."

"What do they call them? Cougars?" I suggested.

"Or worse," she said. "MILFs comes to mind."

I was only slightly surprised she knew the meaning of the acronym.

"Well, I'm hoping that I won't be tempted then," I smiled. I had a good feeling about Nicole. She seemed very "down-to-earth" and didn't appear nervous. That was a good sign.

"Well, now that we've established that we're both interested, maybe we should have a proper date and see what develops," she suggested.

I nodded. "I agree. I would like to meet Jimmy at some point. If, by good luck, we do find we want to explore a little further, I want to see how he reacts to me and my being around you. Kids can be quite protective I'm told."

"Yes they can, and Jimmy is quite protective of me. So I agree that if we do want to take this beyond a first date that we should introduce you to him."

"So then," I said, "how do you feel about attending a live play?"

That brought about an immediate smile and a "Yes, I'd love that."

"It's the fall season now, so I marked three to choose from," I said, pulling a half page of our newspaper out of my pocket.

"Here are the choices," I said, passing the paper with the circled plays evident.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.