Starship - Cover

Starship

Copyright© 2012 by Yoron

Chapter 11

Ever wondered where that ringlet went? The one Jeff used to carry? The one that somehow had assimilated itself into his body? Well, you’re not alone in that, and neither was Jeff, he and his ringlet was now parts of each other.

The quantum realm is all around you, and in you, That ‘empty space’ is a ‘virtual sea’ seething with quantum objects popping out and in from it should come as no surprise for those of you reading some science.

Another, and probably better way to look at it, would be to use Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle. Simply expressed it just state that you ‘can’t know it all’. That statement holds for any combination you can think up scientifically. You might know a momentum by measuring, but as you do you lose the position. Or vice versa.

Applied in this ‘seething sea’ of ‘virtuality’ you could state it as the uncertainty of them existing at all, even though they could and would ‘appear’ depending on choice of experiment, cast a constant shroud over them.

The ‘uncertainty relation’ as we might call it.

Another way to look at it would be from the point of time it takes for something to ‘become real’, and there one might want to use Planck’s ‘natural constants/numbers’ to define it. Most of the things around you we can take for granted. The time relation ship of a chair versus this quantum realm is enormous. The chair will be there tomorrow too.

Although the time relation ship between ‘virtual particle pair’ and the quantum realm is one and the same. They can spontaneously ‘pop up’ to then, just as spontaneously, annihilate each other, faster than you blink your eye. The time relation ship being under any possibility of measuring.

If you think of it this means that although ‘virtual particles’ pop in and out everywhere, inside you as well as outside, their time is of such an incredibly short duration that to us they don’t exist. To top it up science have a rather catchy word for how the quantum realm behaves as it scales up into the macroscopic realm, the one where you and me live.

They called it ‘decoherence’.

But back to the ringlet. It was a part of Jeff now on a cellular level, it added new pathways to all neurons. The ones in Jeffs stomach as well as in his brain and it used all pathways that existed too, even those more or less unknown to science, as the ones that actually make acupuncture a working ‘science’ for things more than just pain. With some of its tendrils connected to that very quantum realm we discussed just before.

Even though the ringlet had a neuron net of its own a better way of describing it would be to look at it as a parasite. Always waiting and searching for that symbiosis with a host. It was a rather good strategy as survival goes, as it allowed its neuron net to mutate with the hosts neuron ‘net’.

The more developed the host the greater that possibility of new and interesting mutations. Jeff was a pretty sweet host this way. By no means stupid he had a good grasp of reality combined with an ability of making decision on the fly but, alas, when it came to schooling the streets had been his main teacher. That was actually somewhat of an asset in this situation.


The ringlet didn’t ‘see’ the planet, neither could it separate itself from the host to have some sort of conversation with Jeff. By now it was more of a part of Jeff losing its uniqueness into the ocean of Neurons creating them both. But it still could communicate its wishes and in a way also communicate. You might want to call that mind reading but it’s not correct. More like when you’re of ‘two minds’ if you see how I mean, a sort of discussion that too, even if ‘unconsciously’ made.

So, let’s try to guess how it might have been, if there had been a discussion.

‘Hi’

The planet, who was an old hand on this type of communication, now found itself forced to reevaluate its earlier findings. It had placed both Jeff and Janelle as typical carbon based ‘humans’, but with this new contact it lost some of its former complacency. As it read there was a very full exchange of information, and with it, an entanglement.

That was unavoidable.

But not many knew how to use them for communication. In fact, as far as human science knew there shouldn’t be any communication possible. But an entanglement can also been seen as a part of a structure, and structures counts, if you now would be able to catch and hold such a complex ‘gestalt’ in your mind.

The planet was.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.