Blessings of a Curse - 2015 Usa Edition
Chapter 18

Copyright© 2012 by Wayne Edward Clarke

Once Somonik reported that the Assembly had gathered, The Six of Hilia appeared on the dais in an outward-facing circle around the Truthstone.

The first impression they made was as the most heavily armed squad most there had ever seen. The two unicorns wore full plate barding with huge blades in front of their horns, razor-sharp shoes that covered their hooves completely, and racks of various projectiles on their backs, ready for launching by Movement. The dragons wore full steel chain mail with plate gauntlets, great dragon-sized swords strapped to their sides, quivers of eight-foot bolts on their chests, crossbows and racks of smaller projectiles strapped to their backs, and each held a gleaming steel lance that was half their respective length. Mark and Talia wore full plate armor, along with their swords, and they wore smaller versions of the projectile racks on their backs. Their helmets were shaped to mate with their crowns and lock them in place.

The second impression was made by their manner. All traces of youthful naiveté and frolic were gone, replaced by a hard, confident appraisal of their audience that made many there feel like a recruit being inspected by a sergeant. Their stances seemed relaxed, yet ready to burst into action instantly, and they wore their burdens of arms and armor with the absolute ease and comfort of long familiarity.

Somonik allowed himself and the Assembly a moment of suitable length to appraise their new appearances, then he announced them and opened the meeting.

“Prince Mark and Princess Talia of Hilia, Keys to The Just Alliance, with their companions in The Six of Hilia.

“We shall now come to order. This meeting of the national leaders, high commanders, and ranking spellcasters of The Just Alliance is now in session.”

“Thank you, Somonik, and thank you all for attending on short notice.” Mark announced. He paused a moment, for dramatic effect as much as to decide how he would proceed.

“Our entire world is in upheaval, and billions are affected. Yet today, a single person of greatness and courage gave forth his supreme effort, and with it, he has given us the means to achieve a swift victory. Quewanak the Eldest, Master of The Dream, is not here. Instead he rests while his body struggles for life. He could not have achieved his triumphant act without the unstinting efforts of some of the finest Healers we have, for it required the full of their skills to keep Quewanak alive while he gave his gift.

“He has many talents, and the greatest of these is a nearly complete awareness of everyone and everything on Kellaran. He found a way to pass on that immense body of knowledge in the most useful form he could give it, and in only twelve hours, and he gave us a way to develop that knowledge and our ability to use it to the fullest.

“He took us within his dream, and there he recreated the entirety of Kellaran, with almost everyone and everything on it as they are in reality. And there we fought this war, over and over again. While twelve hours passed for you, we have waged this war for seventy-seven and a half years of unremitting battle. We’ve lost this war in dozens of different ways, but we’ve won it in dozens of ways as well. And in all of those scenarios, we faced far more difficult conditions than we do now.

“We have detailed knowledge and revolutionary methods that will allow us to win the war with Zarkog within three days, and if things go perfectly, we can have it all wrapped up in thirty-six hours.

“Perhaps the only detrimental side-effect of Quewanak’s training is this; in order that we learn independently and without depending on others with more experience, none of the senior leaders or commanders of The Just Alliance were represented in our training exercises. Thus, we’re familiar with most of your subordinates below the rank of general or admiral, and we know exactly how they’ll react in a crisis or when faced with hardship and challenge, but we don’t have that knowledge of any of you.

“You’ll have to trust us to know what we’re doing, and we’ll have to trust you to be able to carry out your parts in our plan.

“Before we discuss that, we should hear a report of our present military situation as its developed over the last twelve hours.”

Yazadril appeared before him and bowed to the Assembly. “Since Zarkog abandoned his pursuit of you, he has sent occasional skirmishes against our population centers. While more substantial than his initial probes of our defenses, they are still comparatively small, and can be counted as acts of psychological warfare, more so than as acts of conquest.

“Our best psionics have been unable to locate Zarkog, and he is not personally participating in the attacks.

“Venak has thus far remained neutral. They are frantically fortifying their border, since their Wards remain down, but none have ventured forth from there to make war for either side. Not even the dragons and Sylvan that Zarkog has there have taken part in any attacks, so it remains uncertain whether they still follow him, or whether they now report to Renem directly, or to someone else, since there is some evidence that Renem may be dead. On the other hand, they take no particular action to impede defectors of all types from fleeing into Thon. Almost a quarter million have defected to The Just Alliance so far, and while that is still an insignificant fraction of their population, those numbers continue to increase.

“Those of our peoples who are not facing Zarkog’s attackers at any given time send mobile forces to assist those who are, and the rest proceed with further fortifications of their defenses, and the provision of non-combat support.”

“What are our total losses, and Zarkog’s?” Mark asked.

“We have lost less than one per million of our citizens, and none within Xervia. We have lost between three and four per million of our military forces, while Zarkog has lost between five and six per million of his population, the entirety of which can be considered military, most of them in the battle over his hall.”

“So, the facts that you’re reporting in such a honey-coated manner are that some eight or nine thousand of our people have been killed, and about the same number of our fighters, many in the most horrifying manner that Sylvan minds can devise. Zarkog has lost about twenty-three thousand. I assume about ten times as many have been wounded on both sides, and about half of those seriously?”

“You assume correctly.”

There was a pause.

“And?” Mark prompted.

“Pardon me?”

“You’re going to have to adjust your thinking, Yazadril.” Mark sternly told him. “I find your report to be almost completely lacking in tactically and strategically relevant detail. I’m asking for a professional military report, and you’re treating me like a child.”

“Fine. Here.” Yazadril stated, and thrust such a huge collection of facts into Mark’s mind that he was sure the young man would have to take a few minutes to absorb it all. He was somewhat chagrined to find how irritated he was at the sharp rebuke, being unused to the experience, particularly when he realized after a moment that it was fully deserved.

Mark accepted his report effortlessly, then nodded. “All right, listen up!” he called, then was interrupted.

Caution!” Ria snapped in the Link as she manifested, while Talia said;

Hold, my love. This is not a dream, and that is not the best way to proceed among these honored leaders.”

Mark regarded her for a moment, then turned back to Yazadril.

He considered the ancient elf, then went to one knee and bowed to him. “Honored Yazadril.” he said as he straightened, but remained on one knee. “I have said that I should not be directly obeyed as Key to The Just Alliance, except for during the most pressing and dire of circumstances, and only then if I have unique and crucial knowledge of how to proceed that cannot be effectively communicated to everyone who needs to know it in a short enough time for it to be most effective. That is presently the case.

“You were chosen as Supreme Commander of the militaries of The Just Alliance because you were the most qualified candidate available at that time. That is no longer the case.

“Honored Yazadril, and honored members of The Assembly of The Just Alliance, I therefore most respectfully suggest and request that you confer upon me the authority to command our alliance for the next five days, or until Zarkog has been completely defeated, whichever comes first.”

There was a long pause, and a certain tension built in the room.

“You ask for command over the entirety of The Just Alliance, and not just command of our military?” Yazadril finally asked.

“I do. I may need the assistance of persons or the use of resources which are not presently under the command of the military.”

“I see. And if you fail to defeat Zarkog within five days?”

“Then the accuracy of the Eldest’s simulations is far less than we believe it to be, which would render inaccurate any plans based on it. But I am certain that such is not the case. By my vow on the Truthstone of Falgaroth, I am certain that we can achieve victory in three days, for the simple reason that we’ve done it several times already, and under far more difficult circumstances. I only ask for five days as a prudent margin against the unexpected, and if I cannot achieve it by then, I will gladly relinquish command to you, or to whoever this Assembly should choose for the responsibility.”

“How would this victory be won?” Somonik asked. “And at what cost? I realize your plan must be complex indeed if it is more practical to assume command than to take the time to explain it, but still, some summarization must be possible.”

“It is a five layered assault.” Mark answered, confidently and decisively.

“First and foremost, we must end Zarkog’s terrorist attacks on our citizens, and do so in such a convincing manner as to give him pause. He must be made to reconsider the practicality of attacking us.

“Second, we will convince many of Zarkog’s followers to abandon his cause by means of a display of force that is obviously beyond anything Zarkog could match.

“Third, we will call Zarkog out to personal combat and defeat him. If these three parts of the plan are successful, that will be all that’s necessary. Zarkog will be punished for his crimes. At that point one of us will assume the Lordship of Serminak. After Zarkog’s punishment, if he is allowed to live, he will be forced to swear to justice on the Truthstone. At that point it may be wisest to restore him to Lordship of Serminak, though he would be subject to the decrees of the Assembly of The Just Alliance. The reason for restoring him to power is that many of the Sylvan and Dark Dragons feel a strong personal loyalty and admiration for him, contrary to our expectations, and restoring him to power would help to ensure their loyalty to the Alliance. Of course, we will also begin swearing every one of them on the Truthstone, until all of them are bound to justice.

“Fourth, we will turn as many of his commanders as we can, starting with his most senior officers, by Compelling them to swear Osbald’s Oath on one of the portable Truthstones. We will actually do this before initiating steps two and three. If those two steps are unsuccessful, we will foment civil war among the forces of Serminak, and thereby curtail much of their ability to wage war against us. With many of their commanders on our side, whether that support is overt or covert, we will have a much easier time in bringing the rest of them to heel.

“And finally, if none of that works, we will attack Serminak with an all-out assault, using everything we can bring to bear against them, and take complete control of everyone and everything there. It would cost us a third of our military, and result in the deaths of half of the population of Serminak, but we will win, and quickly, and without exposing our nations, homes, and non-combatants to the destruction of such a huge conflict.

“And I’d like to point out that it’s not merely explaining our plans in full that would take too long if I don’t have command, it’s explaining and enacting many of the smaller aspects of it. For instance, I have a long list of personnel who will be immediately promoted, and a few who will be demoted, and many who will be re-assigned to duties that they are better suited to. My reasons for these changes are based on years of simulated experience, but the truth of the matter is that the way those people behaved in the simulations is based on the Eldest’s assessment of them. And I trust his assessments. I don’t have time to explain in detail why some twenty thousand individuals should be assigned to different duties. Nor do I have the patience for it, to be honest. My eagerness to get on with what we have to do is greater with every passing moment.”

Again there was a long and rather tense silence as his words were considered.

“All right.” Yazadril finally nodded. “I will endorse your proposal. Fully and without reservation.”

“Thank you.” Mark answered, and stood.

“Who would speak now?” Somonik asked in the sudden hubbub that followed. “Chieftain Tokibimina, Spokesperson for The Association of Oceania.”

“If we choose to refuse the Key, what will we do?” the old woman asked as she stood, a touch of derision in her voice. “I have heard nothing that makes me believe that any of you have a viable alternative to his proposal. The only other course that has been proposed with any seriousness involves fighting a very long defensive war, and relying on the tactical advantage that such a defensive stance conveys. But the devastation to our peoples and their properties from a war of that style would be hideous, and it would have little guarantee of success. Oceania is particularly poorly suited to such an effort, and there is little that can be done to change that. Meanwhile the demons are closer to us with every passing moment.

“I tell you, Oceania stands with Prince Mark. He is truly Key to The Just Alliance. Key to the Nexus. His is the voice of destiny.

“Let us put it to a vote. His proposal should pass unanimously, since any who’d vote against it is a shortsighted and small-minded fool. At the very worst, we’ll just be back in this same situation five days from now. But I believe in him, and in his companions. I trust that he will lead us to a great victory.”

“I’ll second that, every word of it!” Overlord Senchak called exuberantly as Tokibimina resumed her seat.

“Who would speak now?” Somonik asked after a moment, during which many of the Assembly exchanged quiet words with those nearby. “Tithian, Speaker for The Senate of The People of Morning.”

The People of Morning stand with Prince Mark.” she declared.

“As does Verzaclon!” Emeroth called. “I could give him my throne right now, and none of my people would disagree!”

“Thon stands with the Key!” Osbald loudly declared.

A moment later the many calling voices blended into an enthusiastic roar of approval.

“Who would speak now?!” Somonik eventually yelled, loudly and insistently enough to restore order, and a moment passed while everyone looked around to see if any would argue against Mark’s plan. None did.

“Then I ask you, are we agreed that we will enact Prince Mark’s proposal, granting him supreme command of our militaries and the power to act by emergency decree in any of our nations’ affairs, for a period of five days, or until we have achieved victory over Zarkog and ended the threat of war between the peoples of Kellaran?”

The response was enthusiastic enough to be deafening.

“Let the record show that all have agreed.” Somonik pronounced when the din had died down a bit, but his pronouncement only triggered another round of cheering.

Mark found himself grinning, and wiping away an unexpected tear or two, shed for the power of his emotion in that moment.

“All right, let’s have some order!” he finally called. “We’ve got a lot to do, and the faster we can do it, the better off we’ll be. I said we could achieve victory in thirty-six hours, but we’re going to see how many hours we can shave off that estimate!

“The first thing we’re going to teach you is better use of our available magic, and better protection for our spell-casters. And everything we’re about to reveal must be considered absolutely most secret information. This must be stressed to each of your subordinates, since millions of us will need to know it, yet if Zarkog finds out what we’re up to the results could be disastrous.

“The important thing is the sharing and concentration of power. If a thousand wizards all personally take part in a battle, every one of them is vulnerable to attack. But if they choose the best fighter among them, and the rest use their power and ability remotely to help that one person in their fight, only that one needs to be exposed to danger. The rest can remain hidden or dispersed.

“There are four methods by which this can be done.

“First, the support wizards can directly cast spells to a distant location, as the Hilian elves did to assist us over Kletiuk, and they will be much more effective in doing so for having access to the battle wizard’s on-scene perception of the situation, as opposed to casting to a remote location by projecting your consciousness there as one would do in preparation for Translocation.

“Second, the support wizards can use what we’ve come to refer to as ‘push’ type spells to pass some of their power to their battle wizard for his use in the spells he’s casting. This is quite common, particularly among the elves.

“Third, the battle wizard can use ‘pull’ spells to draw some of the support wizards’ power. Push and pull type spells only differ as to whether the contributor of the power or the receiver of it casts the spell and controls the flow of power. They both share a crucial limitation, that being the amount of raw power the recipient can hold without suffering from it.

“We’ve developed a fourth method that doesn’t share that limitation. We call these ‘draw’ spells. Talia and I developed the basics of the method to cast each other’s power. A Link is cast between the support corps and the battle wizard, and the fighter is given direct control of the others’ power. In essence, when the battle wizard casts a draw spell, it seems like he is drawing power from his support corps to cast it, but in reality, as far as the power flow is concerned, they are casting spells remotely under his guidance. The power never truly passes through the battle wizard, and so the only limits on the spells he can cast with this method are the amount of power that can be safely spent by the support wizards without becoming depleted, and the skill of the psionics maintaining the Link, which decides how many support wizards can be Linked.

“We’ve discovered that the best combination is for the support corps to take care of their battle wizard’s defenses with remotely cast spells, while the battle wizard concentrates on offensive efforts with draw spells.

“Concentration of power is the key. Any of us six have sufficient psionic skill to co-ordinate the Links and cast the power of several million spell-casters with draw spells. Several million wizards casting Shields and Wards around one person can make that person very close to invulnerable, but this can be taken farther still.

“You will learn a new style of spell-casting, which involves many of the methods used to cast a blessing or a curse. We call these ‘automated’ spells. By giving my defensive spells a very limited and focused awareness and decision-making ability, they become self-activating, and can act much more quickly and accurately than I can. They no longer need to waste power keeping a Shield all the way around me all the time. If someone shoots an arrow at me, I only really need a Force Shield a bit bigger than the arrow placed right in front of the arrowhead for a fraction of a second before it hits me. Only automated spells can do this with any practicality.

“Conversely, using the power of several million wizards to cast offensive draw spells is an amazing concentration of power, but if all of that energy can be further concentrated by being focused into a beam no thicker than a hair, no conventional shielding can withstand it. Wiggle it a little, and a hair-thin hole becomes a nasty slice. Make such spells self-activating and a bit aware, and equip them with the ability to discriminate friend from foe, and they will immediately devastate every enemy they can detect.

“We’ve also developed better methods for conventional troops, both in how they’re transported and deployed, and in how they’re equipped.

“Now, we’ll divide the spell-casters and commanders into four groups. Povon will teach draw spells and the psionic skills necessary to their casting, Equemev will teach the casting of automated spells, Silaran will teach deployment and transportation, and Kragorram will teach the crafting and use of the new weaponry and equipment. These will be ninety-minute lectures, and then everyone will rotate until all have heard the first four lectures.

“Then the four subjects will be covered in greater depth for those who will specialize in those subjects.

“The teaching will be done by Linking. You have twelve hours to learn these matters with sufficient depth to effectively teach them to your subordinates. If you’re ready to do so sooner and your instructor agrees, then do so.

“Meanwhile, could I have all the political leaders who are neither military commanders nor Master spell-casters gather here with me and Talia.”

His four instructors made their way to the edges of the room at the four cardinal points, and the crowd divided themselves accordingly.

At the center of the room the purely political group gathered, including Tokibimina, three human kings from Northern Debivin, six selkies and nine gargoyles. Talia spoke to them as Ria looked on.

Meanwhile Mark raised the Truthstone of Falgaroth six feet above the dais and began making another pile of miniature versions of it.

“We are about to correct an injustice, or at least we’ll attempt to do so.” Talia explained. “For eons, the Swarm, trolls, and ogres of Xervia have been kept in quarantine in Warded preserves for crimes committed by their ancient ancestors. It has been impractical to free them until now, since by their natures, they are likely to commit new crimes if freed without restriction. We will go to the borders of their preserves, and offer freedom to any who are willing to swear and be bound by Osbald’s Oath.

“Since there are millions of them, the twenty-one of us won’t be able to administer the oath to all of them, but it’s important that the process be begun by senior leaders of The Just Alliance, in order to show the seriousness with which we regard this matter, and to show that they will be treated with respect if they comply. We’ll administer the oath to the dominant and leading members of those races, then delegate the swearing of the rest who wish to accept our offer.

“You’ll each be issued a portable Truthstone, and we’ll bring a bunch of extras as well to leave with the leaders of the races we’ll be freeing. They’ll administer the oath to the rest under the supervision of personnel you’ll contribute for the task.

“That’s the plan, but we’ll have to be flexible. Even Quewanak’s awareness gives him no way to reliably predict these races’ reactions.

“I’m ready if you are.” Mark announced, and began handing out portable Truthstones.

Soon they stood in a clearing in a strange jungle. Across one end of the clearing was the shimmer of Wards that appeared to be similar in style to the Sylvan Boundary. Talia led them to within a few paces of the Wards as she cast several spells.

“Talia will handle the presentation to the ogres and trolls.” Mark announced as he touched a fingertip to the Wards and altered them a bit. “Theirs is a difficult language, even with the use of a translation spell, and she has a better knack for languages than I do. She’ll lower the pitch of her voice as well, and cast it loudly and widely enough to be heard over the entire preserve.”

“I’ll be directing it away from us, but you’ll still want to block some of it.” Talia told him as she took a few steps away from the rest of the group.

“Ah.” Mark smiled. Suddenly the background sound of the breeze and the jungle around them dropped to a fraction of its volume, and almost perfect silence reigned.

Talia began roaring into the preserve with an unearthly noise.

“It won’t be long before we get a response.” Mark assured the group of rulers. “The preserve is four hundred and fifty miles long and about ninety miles wide, so it’ll take a long time for all of them to come here, but we’re near the best territories, where the most dominant individuals live. Trolls can run six leagues in an hour, so the closer ones should be here pretty soon. The ogres will follow the trolls to see if they can get some easy food.”

“Your Highness, if I may.” one of the human kings said with a polite bow. “What exactly is the Princess saying to them?”

“King Karbof, she’s saying; ‘We are The Just. We are mighty and strong. Our magic is scary. Come here, and we may let you out.’ She’s repeating it. You have to keep things simple with trolls. If they have to absorb too many concepts at once they only get confused. And you have to demand respect, or you won’t get any.”

King Karbof of Bhia smiled, and was surprised at how pleased it made him that Mark knew who he was.

“We don’t want to have a crowd here right now, but once the swearing really gets going we’ll need quite a bit of help, as we said.” Mark continued. “I’m thinking that if each of you supplies fifteen hundred people, it should all be finished by nightfall. Do any of you need assistance with bringing them here?”

“Not at all.” King Karbof said. “We all carry items for Speaking or Linking with our administrators, and with Somonik.”

A selkie chittered shrilly while thumping the base of its gnarled driftwood staff on the turf, and a strange voice issued forth from it. “Age of magic and wonder. Items of power in every market, spells for hire and gift. One need not talent for magic to use it, and everyone a wizard who can trade for it. My people no less.”

“Quite so, Prime Wisdom Zop.” Mark smiled and nodded, and the selkie’s staff chittered its translation.

“I bring people now. People speak troll, hear Talia. They say again Talia’s words to other trolls after we go. Say again exactly.”

“That’s good thinking, thank you.” Mark nodded.

“Ogres almost too stupid to talk. What you say to ogres?”

“Less.” Mark grinned.

Zop hissed, and giggling laughter issued from his staff.

Talia finished her troll-call. Movement in the jungle showed that beings moved there, just behind the first screening layers of plant life, but none ventured forth into the clearing.

“Trolls smell bad. Ogres smell worse.” Zop quietly chittered as he waved a paw under his nose.

“Ya. Bodies a bit like gorillas with tusks, skins like elephants, smells like rotting skunks.” Mark agreed.

Suddenly one of the other selkies softly chittered directly in Zop’s ear, but his staff still picked it up and translated it. “Your staff set wrong syntax! Your Trade Common sound like infant, like fool!”

“I know, but am understandable, so fine.” Zop calmly returned. “Was good trade; six big pearls. Looks nice, feels good in hand. Has seven other spells, better than this. Speaks good Morning, good Draconian. Excellent Shield. Nothing is perfect.”

“At this moment, my fine comrade, I’d say that shielding might take priority over eloquence.” Karbof commented.

Trolls and ogres were emerging into the clearing, forced into view by the rough shoving of those arriving behind them, and the crowd of them shook the bushes and trees around them while filling the air with guttural snarling.

Meanwhile, dozens of selkies were arriving in the clearing behind the delegation.

“Why talk to trolls? Why talk to ogres?” Zop asked. “Cast question on Truthstone; do you swear Osbald’s Oath? Throw Truthstone into preserve. Trolls touch stone, say yes, pass Wards. Say no, stay there.”

“We’re hoping for a bit more than that, actually.” Mark admitted.

A minute later a harsh boom was heard, triggering the trolls and ogres to snarl and growl even louder as they looked behind them. A moment later the boom was repeated, closer this time, and they began to clear an aisle. Those who were slow to do so were shoved out of the way, and a fourteen foot tall troll emerged into the clearing, accompanied by two eighteen foot ogres, all three carrying massive clubs made from tree trunks a foot thick and eight or nine feet long, smoothed at the handle and chipped and cracked at the business end from long use. The troll slammed his club into the ground of the clearing and cast a crude Concussion with it as he did so, revealing the source of the booms.

“Hm. A lot bigger and older than any Zarkog has.” Talia commented.

“These will be the dominant males.” Mark stated with assurance. “Now for a show of force, just to establish our credentials. I’m sure Talia can handle this, but I’m her back-up, so excuse us while we give this our attention for a minute.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.