My Hero
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2012 by carniegirl

It was 10AM before they got around to interviewing me. I knew that Ruger had already been interviewed and most likely was home in bed asleep. They were saving me for last, since I had to write up a report about the drugs we found, as well as the incident report for killing the drug dealer.

I had been in the small interrogation room for fifteen minutes when the door finally opened. Before that I had been in the snack bar writing my reports. They obviously didn't expect me to run, since no one monitored me.

"Hello Marsha, I can't say it's nice to see you again," the moderately chubby woman suggested.

"Well Lieutenant, you can always just clear me now and save all t his time," I said.

"If I could, I would do that in a minute. But we have bodies that have to be accounted for. You do know that there will be lots of stories floating around. All kinds of things about police executing innocent church going folks." Lieutenant Marshal said.

"Ah, so you are the good cop today?" I asked.

"Ain't no bad cops in here. We are all good cops, we are just in bad places sometimes," she informed me. I expected her to be a real bitch. Not only was she chubby, she was divorced, and had a terrible red dye job on her hair. That hair was enough to ruin any woman's attitude.

"Well then let's get this done," I suggested.

"So you have been back on the streets two weeks?" Marshal asked.

"I'm into my third week," I said. I knew that she had it in the file, but I added it anyway.

"And it's Harry's first night back?" she asked.

"Yes he has been in rehab since he got shot over a month ago. I have been on suspension and then I was on a desk until three weeks ago." I said.

"The only place they felt comfortable assigning you was to the children of the night?" she asked.

"You would have to ask the supervisors that," I suggested.

"Well it's all here. You are kind of on probation again." She paused a moment then shifted tacts. "So how long you been home from Afghanistan?"

"Five months, and before you ask I have been a cop here for four of them," I said.

"So you always wanted to be a cop?" she asked. "Lot of cops in your family."

"Yes there are and sure I always knew I would be a cop of some kind. When I graduated high school, I went in the Air Force to be a cop there. I was too young to be a civilian cop, so I did the next best thing.

"So that's where you became a dog handler?" she asked.

"I learned in Texas, then went to the sand box twice," I volunteered.

"So finding the gig here wasn't that hard. You had the experience any small town police chief would love."

"If you say so," I replied.

So, two months ago you were telling an ER Doc that you would shoot her, if she didn't treat your dog. Then tonight you put two in the chest of a drug dealer who is swinging a knife at your dog?"

"It's the department's dog, and the guy was swinging the knife at me as well." I said.

"Please, I'm not stupid. Harry is hanging on his arm and you are telling me this guy is concerned about you?"

"I'm telling you what happened," I replied then I went quiet.

"Well you know that you are on a desk again until we figure this out?" she said.

"You mean till you figure out how much fallout there is going to be. If no one gives a shit, I will be back at work in three days. Then again, if there is an influx of civil rights guys, then I'm going to get tossed under the bus."

"That isn't true, but then it doesn't really matter what any of us think right now. We are going to have to wait for things to sort themselves out," Marshal suggested.

"So, I'm on a desk, Do I report in at midnight tonight or in the morning?" I asked.

"Sergeant Owens will have your new assignment," Marshal said. "You know this doesn't look good so soon after your run in with the doctor?"

"Yeah, but I didn't go to that bust without being told to go there. By the way what's going on with Ruger? He saved my ass tonight."

"I expect him to come out just fine. He doesn't have a history of threatening anyone else," Marshal said with a smile. "You might want to reflect on what you need to do to stay out of trouble. You are still on probation."

"Like hell, I am certified," I said.

"Yes that was your qualification to be hired, but you are not off civil service probation here," she informed me.

"Well we can fight this out in the press, and then in a court I suppose," I said. "I did the right thing and I won't be laying down for you guys. I also will not go quietly. If you bounce me for public relations, expect it to cost the city. I have the name of a damn good lawyer."

"Are you threatening me," she asked calmly.

"I'm not threatening you. I am just telling you what I will do. if it comes to that. What I just said should have nothing to do with your findings, any more than what the civil rights people are going to say."

I left the interrogation room pretty much satisfied with myself. Even so, I remembered that in my kitchen utility drawer, at the apartment I shared with Harry, there was an attorney's card. They said she was the best women's advocate in town. One of the old timers slipped it to me after I threatened the ER doctor.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.