Kayla's Flight - Cover

Kayla's Flight

Copyright© 2012 by PuffDragon

Chapter 13

"So, seriously, he was claiming you were his niece. Did he seriously think that was going to work?" Alana asked an hour later as they were well into their shift. They'd silently handed off with Joey and his buddy a half hour before.

"I guess, I don't really know."

"Man, guy kidnaps you, keeps you in a closet, and is planning on raping you and thinks he can get away with it? God, people are dumb."

Kayla nodded.

"Did they do anything to him?"

"I don't know."

"So, he could still be out there?"

Kayla nodded, face expressionless.

"Jesus, Kay, I didn't know, sorry."

"It's ok. I mean, I'm here now. I've had plenty to think about since then."

"So, wait. That's why you want to fly? Because some dude rescued you from that fucker and flies you off into the sunset? Wow, romantic," she said deadpan.

"Nahh, I mean, it's not like that. I enjoyed the flight. I enjoyed talking to him about his plane. He was so passionate about it. I mean, he really loved flying. Me, I was a coal miner's daughter. Well, a mining engineer's daughter, but you know what I mean. And that's what he wanted me to do. I mean, he homeschooled me and everything after my Mom left."

"You were homeschooled? No wonder!"

"What?"

"Nothing. I mean, it explains why you're so smart ... and yet so dumb sometimes."

"Hey!" Kayla said indignantly.

"Oh come on Kayla, between not having a normal middle and high school life and how you got here, it does explain a lot."

"Like?" She asked hotly.

"Like how you are oblivious to anyone hitting on you and you get skittish if you even suspect one of the guys likes you. Not every man out there is garbage. Some of them are pretty decent," she said with a knowing smile.

"You've got a bit to say on the matter if your face tells me anything," Kayla said with a smile.

"Maybe," Alana said, giving a smug smile. "Maybe you should consider giving the idea some exploration as well."

Kayla blanched a bit.

"Ok, ok, go slow alright. I know you had a rough time getting here but not every man is like that. They aren't all sadistic rapists. Some are even pleasant to be around." The corner of Alana's mouth tugged up. She caught it and took a deep breath. "Look, if Joey weren't attached to Cody by the hip I'd say practice with him. But, I'm always aware that you've put him firmly in the friend zone."

"Friend zone?"

Alana explained and Kayla gave a soft "oh!"

"So is that why he's been kinda pissy lately, he knows it'll never go anywhere between us?"

"Maybe," Alana shrugged. "Or he and Cody are on the outs, who knows."

"Geez I hope not, they're cute together."

"Cute's good, but you can't base an entire relationship on 'cute'. You need someone who'd crazy matches your crazy, someone who you know will go along with your life."

"Hmm, I'd like to find that."

"We all would, honey," Alan smiled at her. "You gonna give it a shot then?"

"What? Dating?"

"Yes! You don't have to make the two-backed beast right away, hell its better if you don't. But get out there, see what dating life is like."

"I ... I guess," Kayla hesitated.

"Would you Dad approve?"

"Approve?" A huge grin split her face. For the first time in a long time, a genuine smile crossed Kayla's face. The icy exterior she'd held onto in front of all but a few rose a few degrees. "Hell, he'd throw me a parade. He did lament, often and loudly, that homeschool left me with few options for my dating life. He said that despite how it ended for him and my Mom, that love was wonderful and loving was better." Kayla blushed, "I think I'm starting to figure out what he meant."

Thinking of her father, who loved her dearly and had no qualms about voicing or showing his love, made her realize how cold she'd become.

"Alana, I'm sorry," Kayla said, tears suddenly at her eyes.

"God honey, for what?"

"For ... for being such a bitch! I'm cold, I'm sullen. You've tried to be nice to me, even when I'm being a goober. I really appreciate it."

Alana pulled her into a tight hug, "Oh, honey. You aren't the first, nor will you be that last girl that gets closed off by the system." She gently patted Kayla's back, "I'm just sorry it took you so long to open up. But, I feel like I'm finally getting to know you and maybe see the real Kayla, the smiling girl who loves her Dad, not the frigid bitch who beats the pants off all my test scores!"

Muffled laughter came up from her shoulder, "Yeah, well, just because I'm breaking down the walls doesn't mean I'm about to let up on school!"

"Good! Don't let it. But don't lock us all out. Talk to Cody, apologize to Joey."

Kayla's face came up, her brow furrowed.

"Hey, I'm not saying anything is your fault. I'm just saying, apologize for being so closed off. See if he still wants to hang out and meet the real Kayla. The nice one," she smiled and ruffled Kayla's hair.

Two days later all of Offutt's military leadership and most of its civilian leadership was gathered around President Feldman's conference table. The room hummed with rumors as statesmen and military personnel alike whispered to neighbors, trying to dispel or confirm the rumors they'd heard.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.