Kayla's Flight - Cover

Kayla's Flight

Copyright© 2012 by PuffDragon

Chapter 8

Three weeks later, when the Air Academy's newly formed admissions board met, Kayla's name did not make the list. Twenty-nine young men and two women's names made the list. Each person was selected based not just on intellect and physical skill but also enthusiasm, drive, and maturity. Despite the age limit being lowered to only sixteen, no candidate selected was younger than twenty.

Kayla spotted the list as soon as she left her room. She was up before her Dorm Mother could wake her, trying to make a better impression on the woman so she wouldn't renege on her promise to write a good recommendation. Kayla spotted the new list on the board because it was printed on fresh paper, snowy white against the other, older papers there. She took a deep breath in through her nose and walk to the board with measured steps, afraid to look, afraid to see her name wasn't on the list.

Her Dorm Mother lingered in the doorway of her office, watching Kayla approach. She was astounded by the girls turn around in the last few weeks and was afraid this set back would bring back Kayla's old, stubborn, and insubordinate behavior. She pulled a letter from her pocket and quietly followed the girl.

Watching closely, the Dorm Mother almost missed the long blink, the brief expression of grief and failure before an impassive mask settled over Kayla's face as she saw the list and realized her name wasn't on the list. Kayla squared her shoulders and turned resolutely towards the mess hall.

"Kayla, wait," her Dorm Mother's voice was filled with concern, "please."

Kayla turned to around, face still expressionless but the Dorm Mother could see the tightening at the corners of her mouth, the slightly narrowed eyes

"I did as I said I would, I recommended you." Kayla's facial expression barely changed but the Dorm Mother could see doubt. "I know. You didn't get in." Kayla turned to go but her Dorm Mother put a hand on her shoulder. "You're too young and that is all." She fished the letter out of her pocket and handed it to Kayla.

Kayla's eyes skated over the paper taking in its meaning. "Next year?"

"Yes," her Dorm Mother said and smiled. "I wasn't the only one to recommend you and your test score speak for themselves. You didn't make it because you aren't old enough; however, next year you are guaranteed a spot. If," her voice flooded with concern, "you keep your nose clean, keep up with your training, and don't injure anymore classmates."

Kayla's face filled with hope. "Next January? I can wait fourteen months!"

Her Dorm Mother's face filled with pride and she stepped in and hugged the skinny girl close to her chest. Kayla stood impassive for once brief second then pushed away. Her Dorm Mother knew at once that she'd pushed too hard, emotionally. She released Kayla and watched the expressionless mask fall over the girls face again.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.