The Protector - Cover

The Protector

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

Chapter 85

I don't know how long I was asleep, but I woke to the murmur of voices. I listened a little before I straightened up. It was Farley and Jubal talking, and what I was hearing sounded like it had been going on for awhile.

"Jubal, I was there just like you were when Jon got that message from Interpol, and I have seen that look before. We are not going to even try to open that brief case until Jon decides to. Besides, it was his family that was threatened and that pisses me off too. He has made us a lot of money since we met, and I kinda feel like his family is my family too."

"I know that, Farley, and I feel the same way, but I can't help but wonder what's in that case and why, if it's so important, he hasn't opened it yet."

"Jubal, I figure when the time comes he will tell us, but if he doesn't, it's really none of our business."

I figured this was a good time to stir and woke up, sitting up in the chair looking at both of them.

"Fellas, I don't know for sure what's in the case other than all the papers he had in his safe. If he was as paranoid as I understand, then we will let someone who's an expert open it. It is probably booby trapped if what Quanta told me is true, and I have no reason to doubt him. I damn sure don't want to take the chance because what it contains is not only important to me but to several governments, if what Interpol thinks is true. The papers inside of there can probably save a lot of lives and bust the arms smuggling wide open in this part of the world."

"Yeah, we know, Jon, but you know how impatient the younger generation is."

"Oh shut up, Farley, it's not like you didn't want to open it too."

I just smiled to myself, knowing they were gonna start with the arguing again. Sometimes I wondered how they ever lived together without getting into a fight. They acted more like brothers than uncle and nephew. I had to admit, listening and sometimes refereeing had broken the sheer monotony of the trip since we left the island. I sat up, grabbing the case, when I heard a horn honk. Jubal jumped up and went around the house, hollering our ride was here. I had just stood, up looking over at Farley, when Jubal came running back around the corner.

"I don't know who it is but they are armed, Jon."

I quickly motioned for Farley to go to the big tree and told Jubal to get inside the back door. I jumped off the porch and quickly slid the case under the porch as hard as I could, then got down behind the steps. It wasn't the best cover, but from where I was at, I could cover both sides of the house. We waited for almost five minutes and nothing happened. I looked at Jubal, pointed to my eyes, and then pointed to the front of the house. He disappeared inside and I looked over at Farley. He just shrugged at me with a questioning look on his face. Jubal came back out saying he didn't see anyone when I heard a shout. I couldn't tell where it was coming from for sure, but for some reason it sounded like it came from above me. I looked up and saw a man pointing a rifle from the top of the roof at Farley. Without thinking, I double tapped him and watched as he dropped out of sight. I looked back at Farley and he was now watching the roof. I heard a crash inside the house and Jubal disappeared back into the interior. I heard the distinctive chuffing sound of the forty he had and when he came out, he held up two fingers, then three, turning his thumb down. He raised his hand again and held up two turning his thumb up. Hmm, I thought, three down and two still unaccounted for. Who the hell were they and why were they looking for us? My first thought was the case, but no one had any idea I had it.

"Farley, you take the right side and I'll take the left. Jubal, you go through the house and watch from the front. I want to take one of them alive if at all possible. On the count of three, move!"

I counted out loud and we all took off to our assigned spots as soon as I said three. I slowly peeked around the corner of the house and didn't see anyone, so I moved towards the front. When I got to the front, I carefully sneaked a look and saw two men standing beside an old rusted out pickup. They were shouting at each other and gesturing. They both had AKs in their hands and both had police uniforms on. What the hell, I thought, as the one started to raise his gun. I shot him in the leg and heard another muffled shot from the front to my side. That one had to be Jubal, I thought, as the head of the second man seemed to explode. When he dropped I ran out and kicked both guns away from the live one, pulling the pistol out of his holster at the same time.

"Hell, Jon, the others have new AKs and none of them are wearing uniforms like these two. We need to call someone."

Before I could answer him, Captain Jubee came running up asking what was going on. Before I could answer him, he got a look at the live one and immediately started kicking him and shouting at him in his language. I looked over at Jubal and saw he had a big grin on his face at the Captain's actions. Then I realized that I hadn't seen the Captain's wife through all of this. I pulled the Captain away, asking him who this was and why did he try to kill us.

"I am shamed, Torch Bearer. This brother to a hyena is my wife's sister's son, and knowing her and how she gossips, she probably called her sister bragging about having a Torch Bearer in her home. This one probably thought he could rob all of you. I will have the whole story for you very shortly or I will shoot him myself for shaming my house and name by his actions."

"Before you do that, call Captain Kushka and tell him what's happened, and get him over here with a van to haul the other four bodies off. Then call Quanta and tell him what's happened, and tell him I need two of his trustworthy guards with us for the rest of the time we are here. Also, he needs to get his car here as soon as possible. We don't need more trouble than what we have and the sooner we are at the hotel, the safer it will be for all of us."

"It will be as you wish, Torch Bearer, but I will question this pile of dung before his boss gets here."

"Jubal, crawl under the back porch and get the case. Watch for snakes and keep the case with you while I handle this. Both of you get the silencers off your guns and Farley, you bury them before the Captain gets here."

I twisted mine off and handed it to him. He took mine and then Jubal's before disappearing around the house again. I was standing watching the wounded man who was glaring holes in me, when Captain Jubee showed up and kicked him in his wounded leg. He screamed and then the real questioning started. I was a little surprised at the ruthlessness of the Captain, but from his methods, I had a very strong feeling this wasn't the first time he had questioned a prisoner. I watched him, and although I couldn't understand the language, I did recognize the tone and the steps he was using in his interrogation. Watching him, I knew he had been something more in a past life than a fishing boat Captain. His actions and his methods almost screamed Officer. Before I could ask, I saw a car and truck coming down the road. It was Captain Kushka and he had eight men with him. When he got out, he ordered the men, in his language, to do something. I was surprised to see them gathering the bodies and, none too gently, throwing them into the truck. When he walked up to Captain Jubee, he asked something which was answered, then he drew his pistol and shot the man on the ground in the head. He turned and as he holstered the pistol, he went to one knee in front of me. You could have knocked me over with a feather.

"I am sorry you have been threatened like this, Torch Bearer."

"Please get up, Captain; this wasn't your fault or Captain Jubee's. You do not have to kneel to me. Now tell me how much trouble me and my friends are in for having weapons in your country without a permit."

"You are in no trouble. I know that all three of you are active agents in Interpol, and by the treaty you can carry into any country that the treaty is with. The official report will read you were attacked and defended yourselves. This trash will be buried and no one will miss them. I am sorry this has happened and I hope that you will forgive me for not assigning several of my most trusted men to assure your safety. I blame myself for this, and I will assure you that you will be well protected from this point on until you leave my country."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.