The Protector - Cover

The Protector

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

Chapter 76

I woke the next morning to the sound of Kat singing in the shower and smiled to myself. I started to get up to join her, but before I got out of the bed, there was a knock at the door. It was Sally and she was dressed and grinning.

"Dad, I have to go out and check on the dogs."

"Why! What's wrong?"

"I think a cat got into the yard last night."

"Huh?"

"Yeah, I kept hearing this squalling noise half the night."

"Oh, very funny, young lady. Get outta here before I turn you over my knee."

She left and I heard her laughing all the way down the steps. Cat indeed, I thought, and started laughing despite myself. I went into the bathroom just as the Kat stepped out of the shower. Believe me that sight woke me up completely. I tried to slip in without her noticing my obvious excitement, but she sniggered as I did.

"Not funny, lady."

"Oh, Jon, you're right but I still think it's so funny how the sight of me still makes you react like a teenager."

"Speaking of teenagers, Sally came to the door about some kind of disturbance outside last night with the dogs. When you go downstairs, ask her what she was talking about, will you, and let me know so I can check it out."

She went out after saying she would and I busted out laughing to myself.

"What's so funny, Jon?"

"Nothing dear, I was just thinking about a joke I heard on the island."

"Maybe you can share it if it's so funny."

"Ok, but talk to Sally first about that noise she heard. I think that's a little more important than some silly joke."

"Ok, hurry up. Breakfast will be ready shortly."

I assured her I would. I waited a few minutes till I thought she was gone and then started laughing to myself. I got out of the shower and spent my usual five minutes worshipping the enamel throne before I shaved and brushed. When I walked into the kitchen, Kat was red and Sally was laughing her head off. I smiled as I helped myself to some coffee, wondering if it would stay down for a change. I was smart enough to know not to speak but when I looked at Sally, she busted out laughing again and I decided to vacate the area for a little bit. I had just about cleared the door when Kat spoke.

"Jon Morgan, one of these days that sense of humor of yours is going to get you in trouble. I can't believe you set me up for that. If you do it again, you will be sleeping in your office. That wasn't funny at all."

I looked over at Sally and we both busted out laughing. Kat turned and gave us a dirty look, but she joined in our laughter. When the knock came at the back door, Sally opened it and Timmy came running in. He hugged all of us before sitting down at the table, asking what we were laughing about. Kat got red again and I kept my mouth shut, but Sally answered him.

"We were laughing because I heard what sounded like a cat outside last night. We wondered how it got into the yard and if the dogs caught it."

"That's really weird, Gampa, Jubal said he heard the same noise and spent about fifteen minutes outside looking for the poor thing so the dogs wouldn't eat it. Funny thing, though, when he came back in he was laughing. He said something to Farley and Mom, and they started laughing too. I wonder what they thought was so funny."

I looked over at Kat as she was facing the stove and her shoulders were shaking like she had the chills. Sally was beside her and had her hand over her mouth. When I looked at her she lost it, laughing and looking at Kat as she did. Timmy looked at me, then them, and then back at me.

"What's so funny, Gampa? I hope the dogs didn't eat that poor cat."

That's when Kat had to turn the burners off and sit down, she was laughing so hard. Sally was laughing so hard she had tears running down her cheeks. Then the door opened and the other three walked in. Jubal looked at us then back at Michelle and Farley before speaking to Timmy, who had a perplexed look on his face while watching us laugh.

"What's so funny, Timmy?"

"I don't know Jubal. I told Gampa about the cat you heard last night and that I hoped the dogs didn't eat it. They all started laughing. I still don't know what they think is so funny about the dogs eating some poor cat."

Now I have to say at this point we were all almost hysterically laughing. I looked over at Kat again and she was glaring at me, almost as red as her hair with tears running down her cheeks. She shook her fist at me, but never stopped laughing.

"Will somebody please tell me what's so funny? I worried about that poor kitty getting eaten by the dogs all night long. I even walked around the house looking for the poor thing. He wasn't in any of the trees and I didn't see any hair in the yard."

I got up and went to the front porch. I couldn't help myself. It was either that or try to explain to him and since he was looking at me, I had to get away. I figured I would let someone else explain this one to him. I plopped down on the bench and realized I had forgotten my coffee, but I wasn't about to go back after it. I finally was able to calm down enough so that I was just chuckling when Kat came out, sitting down beside me. She was still laughing and red in the face so I didn't say a word. Finally she calmed down a little and looked at me before saying; "You forgot your coffee."

We both started laughing again and it took us a few more minutes to breathe easily and just sit with Kat holding my hand and chucking sporadically. I leaned over and kissed her and she smiled at me before saying to me; "You know that's what started this whole thing. Next time, close the windows too, will you?"

I opened my mouth to give her a smart retort when Sally came out the front door, slamming it behind her. She plopped down in the chair across from us, glaring a hole in me as she did. I just had to ask.

"What are you so mad about, you started the whole thing."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.