The Protector
Chapter 75

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

When the Sheriff got there, Verna was just waking up and Farley helped her to her feet. She immediately started shouting and cussing me. She was foaming from the mouth so much she looked like she had rabies. You could tell by looking at her that her mind had somehow slipped away. The Sheriff stood in the doorway and watched awhile before he came in.

"Jon, I don't have the facilities for someone in her condition. I can hold her in the small cell, but by law, not for over twelve hours before I have to have her sent to a mental facility. What happened to her?"

I explained it all to him, and told him to take her to the state facility immediately and I would handle the rest. He just shook his head as he went to her. She tried to kick him and then tried to bite him, so Farley grabbed her and between the two of them they carried her out of the kitchen to the front door to load her in the Sheriff's car. When Farley came back in, he handed me my handcuffs and sat down at the table with an audible sigh. Jubal sat down beside him with his head in his hands, not saying anything. I sent Mitchell for Timmy so we could all sit and talk this out. Kat left the room for a few minutes and returned with a fifth of Cognac from the bar in the front room. She then set out glasses for everyone but her, Sally, and Timmy. When they came in, Timmy sat down next to Sally looking puzzled because all of us were just sitting around. To his credit, he didn't say anything, but just smiled at me. I told everyone to relax and have something to drink and as soon as I made a couple of calls, I would be back. I went to the front room and called the Marshal's service and made my report, telling them where, who, and what charges I was filing on her. My supervisor came on and said he would have the facility put her on a suicide watch until they could get her evaluated. He then asked me if she had any information about the church that we didn't already know. I told him she was an insider who had probably hidden some of the church leaders at her farm in Vermont. He said he would get warrants to have it searched right away and thanked me for calling him first on this. He hung up and I called Interpol. I was connected to the Director almost as soon as I gave my name. I went through the whole thing with him and he said he would touch bases with the Marshal's service then NSA.

"Mon Ami, I think you and your lovely family are still in danger from these fanatics. Have your two friends returned yet? If they have, tell them we have deposited another fifty thousand into their accounts. On their last raid, they were able to retrieve a large stack of computer disks that had some very interesting information that we will use to further eliminate the threat to our countries. Jon, they are even more widespread than any of us realized. Some of their global plans sent chills up my spine and I have seen it all over the years. They might have succeeded if it wasn't for you, and we would never have known until it was too late. The leaders in hiding have contacted us about giving themselves up. If they do, I will send a jet for you to be there and sit in on the questioning. Your adopted country has already asked that you lead a team to question them. Jon, I know it's not my place to order you to do anything, but I suggest you return to your island as soon as you can safely do so. The disks we have say that they have at least a dozen hit teams that rove all over the world, killing those who don't fall into line. Please be careful, Mon Ami."

I hung up the phone with another weight added to what I was already carrying. I went back to the kitchen where everyone was talking normally, but they all shut up looking at me as I sat down next to Kat. She looked at my face and kissed my cheek as she poured a glass full of Cognac for me. I looked around, then sipped my drink and started in.

"Ok, everyone, seems we have a little problem to discuss and I don't mean Verna either. Farley, Jubal, I just got off the phone with Interpol and they had some news we all need to hear. Those disks you two recovered on the last raid contained some serious information that affects all of us. The Director strongly suggested that we all go back to the island as soon as possible for our own safety. I cannot and will not make that decision without all of us discussing it among ourselves. Sally has already asked about moving back and Kat has mentioned it. I will abide by what they want, but the rest of you need to think about it. How about if we table this for now, and discuss it tomorrow after everyone has had a chance to sleep on it? Michelle, you and Timmy are part of my family now, so you both have a large say in it also. I think from the smile on Timmy's face I already know what he wants to do, but it is up to you, Michelle. Farley, Jubal, I know you two can take care of yourselves, but you are welcome to stay here whatever the decision might be. Oh, and the Director said you both had another fifty thousand deposited into your accounts."

They looked at each other with a shocked expression before they broke out in grins. They both saluted each other with their drinks and downed them, smiling the whole time. I looked over at Michelle and she seemed to be deep in thought so I didn't say anything to her. Timmy was another matter because he had an ear to ear grin. He kissed Sally, surprising her, and she blushed, smiling the whole time. He jumped up and came to me, hugging me and whispering in my ear; "I want to stay with you, Gampa, and I think Mom does too."

I hugged him back, telling him it was his mom's decision and he had to do whatever she decided. This didn't seem to faze him at all. He let me loose and grabbed his mom's hand, telling her they had to talk. I almost busted out laughing at him, but was able to hold it in and just smile when he looked at me, grinning and pulling Michelle's hand. Michelle looked back at me and grinned as they went out the door. Kat went over to Farley and refilled his and Jubal's glasses.

"Jon, just what did the Director tell you?"

"Farley, I would rather discuss it tomorrow when we have all had time to think about it a little more. I do want you two to know that if we go back to the island, you both are welcome to come along for as long as you want. Jubal, I'm sorry about Verna, but it surprised me as much as I think it did you. I never expected that she was still with the church and was reporting to them. I just don't know how she was able to on the island. The only communications were in my room and we never let anyone in there except Katie to send in her college work. The radio and ship to shore is coded and only Kat and I knew the code."

"Jon, I don't blame you, but I did notice she was acting more possessive of me and my time since me and Farley came back. She kept pushing me to leave and go to her farm in Vermont for some reason. She watched Michelle like a hawk and every time she went out and you were there, she stood at the window watching her. I didn't think anything about it until all this happened. I'm just glad I found out her intentions before we got married. I asked her last night and she accepted, but only if we could do it at her home. When I asked her about you, Kat, and Sally coming, I never did get an answer from her. She just kept changing the subject. Jon, I think she was hiding something at her home she didn't want me or Farley to find out about, because she said when we got there we would have to stay in a motel the first night so she could make the house presentable."

"Hmm, maybe she has somebody hiding out there that has something to do with the church. Let me make a couple of calls and see what I can find out."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.