The Protector
Chapter 68

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

When we pulled up to the gate in front of the house, we had to identify ourselves to the guard there. Ritchie took one look at all the dogs and refused to come inside the gate. I drove the hearse in and Jeb drove the station wagon. We were all laughing at Ritchie standing outside the gate while Myrna went in the house. I helped Jeb carry all the bags into the house, and he told me that my truck was at his store, as well as two large boxes that had been delivered to him about a week ago by customs. I told him what was in them and his eyes about popped out.

"Jon, if I deliver them in your truck, will you sell me a few of them?"

"Jeb, I can sell you the swords, but since all the pistols have no numbers, I can't sell them. I will have to give you a few of them, along with the extras that I got with them. Well, if you bring them by tomorrow we can unload them into the garage since that's where I am moving my office. Myrna and Kat decided that the small dining room as well as my old office was going to be combined into our room and the nursery. Tiny and his crew will be here this week to move the gun safe as well as reinforce the walls and doors of my grandfather's old office in the garage. I get married and then get thrown out of my own house. That's gratitude for you."

I thought Jeb was going to bust a gut, he was laughing so hard. He said that he had to get back, but would see me tomorrow afternoon when he brought my truck and boxes out. The guard let him out and I walked down to the guard shack. I told him I wanted to introduce three more people to the outside dogs so they could wander around the property without worry. He blew the small whistle around his neck and in a short time all three of them came running and sat down in front of us. I petted them and was licked several times in the process. I went to the front door and called Verna, Michelle, and Timmy out and let the guard go through the process with them so the dogs would know it was ok for them to be here. When it was over, Verna and Michelle went back in the house but Timmy was staring at all three of them.

"Timmy, they love to play fetch and catch a Frisbee, so if you want to play with them its ok. They won't hurt you, but I will give you a warning. Timmy, when you're out on the property, don't go near the fences for any reason. If someone should call you or try to get you to come to them, just walk away and come tell me or any of the adults right away. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Gampa, I understand. Mom says not to talk to strangers, and to never get near anyone who is calling me. She said the church might try to get me back so you can bet I won't go near anyone I don't know. Can I really play with them, Gampa?"

"Yes you can, and I think they will enjoy playing with you too. Ok, young man, lets get inside so we can get you and your mom and grandma settled into your new house. I am going to need your help to carry all the luggage to the cottage out back where you all will be staying."

He beat me inside but when we got in, the pile of suitcases was gone. He looked at me and I just shrugged at his look of puzzlement. When we went to the kitchen, the women were all coming in the back door together, talking a mile a minute about going to the store for groceries as well as other things they would need. We sat down at the counter and I had some of the coffee that was ready and found Timmy a soda. The women ignored us like we weren't even there. I heard Kat say she would get the car and Myrna could get the truck and they would meet at the gate. Kat came over kissed me and I told her to pick up several cans of tennis balls as well as three or four Frisbees for Timmy. She smiled at me and held out her hand. I looked at her for a second before it dawned on me what she wanted. I got my wallet out and handed her my credit card with a sigh, and she was out of the kitchen just that fast. I looked at Timmy and he was smiling at me but didn't say anything.

"Well young man since we have been abandoned, what say we take a walk around and you can get to know the property a little?"

"That sounds like a good idea, Gampa; can I play with the dogs while we're out walking?"

"I don't see why not, Timmy, one of them will probably be with us the whole time. Come on, I want to see if they put the new doors on the barn while we were gone."

We went out the back door and I showed him the cottage as we walked by. As soon as we went by it, one of the dogs came up and walked right next to Timmy. I watched as he walked with his hand resting on it and he had a big smile on his face. I knew then that he must have had no childhood or fun while a prisoner with his mother and that damned church. We went to the barn and found that both doors had been replaced. I opened them and the stale smell from a shut up building hit me in the face. While Timmy talked to the dog, I opened all the windows as well as the hay mow door so the air could circulate. When we went back out, I left one door pushed open so the dogs could get inside if it rained. We were walking the fence along the road in back when I noticed a car coming down the road slow. I got Timmy on my inside and kept walking. When it came abreast of us, it was a deputy I knew. He just smiled and said, "Welcome back, Mr. Morgan." I thanked him and he went on down the road.

"Gampa, do you always carry a gun, even when you're at home?"

"Yes, Timmy, I do. After all that's happened and considering the church may still cause some trouble, I want to make sure I can protect all of us."

"Good, I don't ever want to go back to the compound where me and Mom were. I am glad you're looking out for all of us, Gampa. When I get older, will you teach me how to shoot so I can protect me and Mommy and Grandma?"

"When you get old enough, I would be glad to, Timmy. I have a friend that has an indoor range where we will be able to shoot, but you still have a long time before your old enough for that."

"I know, Gampa, and that's what worries me, I don't want those bad people to grab us again. They would really hurt Mommy bad if they did that."

I didn't know how to reply to that and rubbed his head, realizing that we both needed a hair cut because we were both a little shaggy. When we got about halfway to the garage, the dog that was with Timmy turned and went back the way we had just come from. He watched it a little sadly, but as soon as we started walking again, another one came from the direction of the garage and again went to his side. It was at that point I realized just how intelligent these dogs were. They had decided among themselves where they were going to patrol. Timmy was smiling again as we walked, and this dog seemed to make it a point to lick his hand every chance it got. Timmy was giggling, and the dog seemed like it was having fun with it. When we finally got to the garage, I heard women's voices coming from the front of the house. Sure enough they were unloading a pickup load of groceries. I grabbed Timmy and we ducked into the garage. I wasn't about to be volunteered to help unload. Besides, I was still recovering and planned on milking it as long as Kat would let me. Timmy thought it was a game and kept breaking out in giggles every time Myrna or Kat mentioned that I hadn't shown up to try to help. Timmy finally gave us away when he ran out of the garage announcing we were hiding in there so we didn't have to help. Myrna gave me a dirty look, but Kat just broke out laughing when Timmy ran up to her. She hugged him and whispered something in his ear and he ran in the house laughing. I walked over looking a little sheepish and she just kissed me.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.