The Protector
Chapter 44

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

I woke the next morning to a feeling that something was going to happen today. The feeling was so strong I couldn't shake it and couldn't go back to sleep. I leaned over and kissed the sleeping Kat, and headed for the bathroom to grab a shower and shave. When I was finished, I went downstairs. I hoped that there might be some coffee left over that I could heat up, since I doubted anyone was up and stirring. Boy did I get a surprise when I finally found the kitchen. The cooks were already hard at work, and when I stepped in they all seemed to freeze in place.

"Please go ahead with what you were doing," I said as I sat down on a chair by the counter were they working.

The little girl from yesterday brought me over a mug of steaming coffee. She had a shy smile today as she handed it to me. I sat back and sipped it, watching the women working and not saying a word. They seemed nervous at my presence and I finally decided to say something to them.

"Will all of you please continue like you were? I am not here to gripe or complain, I just want a cup of coffee is all because I couldn't go back to sleep."

The oldest one, who seemed to be in charge, looked at me sharply for a moment. She must have decided I was being truthful with them, because she started talking to the other women in their dialect. She continued for a few minutes, and I finally realized it was a cross between French and Portuguese that they were speaking. I listened in and realized I could understand a lot of what they were saying, when they didn't speak too fast. I decided to keep this little kernel of information to myself for now, because it might come in handy later on. I just sat with a small smile on my face, trying to refresh my memory a little without giving myself away. The more I could learn, the better it would be for me when those people from the old plantation came over here to meet today. I just hoped they were willing to chip in and help, and not be a bunch of rebelling natives who wanted to run everything. I still had that feeling that something was about to happen, but for some unexplainable reason, I didn't feel like it was going to be bad. I got a refill for my mug of coffee and went out to the patio where I sat down facing the house, so I could watch anyone moving around. I hadn't been sitting there fifteen minutes, when Quanta came wandering out and sat down next to me. The young girl immediately brought a carafe of coffee and another cup. She filled both of our cups while smiling at me. Quanta sipped his and looked at me in a speculative way.

"You feel it too, don't you my friend. You know, even after all these years, it seems my natural instincts have never died. Something is going to happen today, and it awakened me, thinking about it. Jon, do you think after you leave, the people here will be able to take care of themselves?"

"That question I can't answer, my friend. I hope for their sakes they can, because it will be an uphill battle if I have to keep coming back to run some slaver or smuggler off my property. As much as I hate to say it, I think you got me in deep this time Quanta. I think you dropped the ball on this one, and now I will be the one paying for it. What I can't understand is why you didn't spend the time checking this purchase out a little better. That's not like you, my friend."

"Yes, and I apologize for it. I was letting my helper look for investments, and he chose this place. Much to my disappointment, I think I will have to let him go when I return. Jon, I would never knowingly put you or your family in danger. I feel very bad about this whole situation. I do have to admit that this could be a paradise, if it was used as it was meant to be. Do you wish me to start looking for a buyer when I return home?"

"I really haven't made my mind up on that one yet, Quanta. I will say this, it is going to depend a lot on the meetings I will be having later. I refuse to spend half of my life here just to try to undo generations of abuse, regardless how much I would love to make up for some of the mistreatment they've been through. That happened before I came, and if they can't protect themselves, then we will sell the island or move these people elsewhere and block any further settlement. I know it sounds cruel, but sometimes you have to do what's right for the betterment of all. I won't see these kids grow up without an education or a chance to attend college if they want to. If they cannot improve their lot, I will close this island off to anyone and sell it as a testing ground for live fire or something."

"That I would not advise, my friend, because an island that has been given its own sovereignty is a rare thing to find nowdays. There are others who would give their first born to have this, but even I would question their reasons for wanting it. No, this time if you do decide to sell, I will make sure the buyer is on the up and up. I have let you down, and with all that I owe you, this makes me feel very bad."

"You do not owe me, Quanta, and you shouldn't let it bother you. You have repaid me many times over with your wise investments on my behalf. No, my friend, the luck was with me the day I rescued your family. You have become more than just a banker and investor to me; you have become a friend and I have very few of them."

"Thank you, Jon, but I would be remiss again if I didn't try to talk you out of selling this beautiful piece of paradise. Before you decide, let us meet with these people who have escaped, and see what they have to say and what ideas they have for the people here. If they have been living and surviving on their own this long, they may be more help than we can be."

I just looked at him for a second, then Sally and Quanta's two daughters came out and sat down. They were almost immediately served fresh mango juice. All three looked like they were still half asleep, but it seemed that they were in good spirits.

"I figured you three would still be sleeping. How come you're up so early, Sally?"

"Dad, we did stay up kinda late talking, but those darn birds seem to have nested under the windows of our rooms. They started squawking at dawn and never shut up. With all that noise, there was no way we could sleep. We could have closed the windows, but I love the feel of the warm ocean breeze blowing through my window while I sleep. Dad, all three of us love it here and it's so peaceful and beautiful. Do you think we can go to the beach and lay out in the sun for awhile later?"

"Sally, for now I want all of you to stay close to the house where Tiny and Carver can keep an eye on you. With all that's happening, I don't want any of you to be separated from the adults. I have some old comrades coming in later this morning for a little R&R, and they will also be armed. Until they get here and settled, I don't want any of you wandering off. Sally, I promise you within a few days, you and the girls can go anywhere you want and be safe. Oh yeah, don't go swimming in the pool until I can have it drained and cleaned. The water smells and tastes even worse."

"How would you know that, Dad?"

I just looked at her for a minute, knowing I was going to have to tell her what had happened, and how I knew what the water tasted like. Damn, I had opened my big mouth again. I went on to tell her, and she and Quanta's daughters were laughing up a storm before I even got halfway through the explanation of how I got thrown in the pool by my best friends. Quanta was laughing almost as hard as they were, and I gave him a dirty look which only seemed to spur his laughter to another level. This is how Kat, Myrna and the rest of our party found us when they came out and sat down at the big table with us. Kat kissed me before she sat down at my side as was her custom. Myrna and Carver looked a little ragged around the edges, but they were both smiling and seemed happy. Tiny and Maggie seemed like they were even closer than they were before, but it was probably my imagination playing tricks on me. To my surprise, Myrna didn't ask Sally what was so funny this early in the morning, which told me that she had her mind on other matters.

Within a few minutes of them being seated, the cook and several others were stacking food on the table. It was way more than we could possibly eat. I did hear the cook tell one of the other women that we all seemed nice, and that the new owner had friends of all colors, not like their old master who hated everybody. I just smiled to myself at her statement, thinking that anyone who had friends that they cared for didn't see colors or any other thing other than a friend. Another lesson learned in the Legion and one of the best you could learn. I had noticed that a lot of the people I had met since coming to the United States seemed to put a lot of emphasis on a person's skin color. I went by the combat rule, when you're in a firefight with someone shooting at you, who gives a damn what the person's skin color was that was fighting at your back. Hell, we all bled in one color, red, regardless of what our skin color was. I had seen examples of this when I first joined the Legion. To a man, they had all changed their minds when their life was on the line. I think this was why we all seemed so close to outsiders, we depended on each other. We were Legionnaires, not men of different races or colors. Within the Legion, there were so many nationalities and races that after awhile, no one noticed. One time I had been carried off the field of battle by an Arab from another unit, and later I asked him why when he didn't even know me. He just looked at me and smiled and his words I have never forgotten.

"You are not a stranger to me. You are a Legionnaire and a comrade who needed help. In my country, we try to help each other all we can. Here we are all one people, and we help each other. Maybe one day you will help me when I need it."

Thus the second sentence of the Code of Honour: (in English this time) Every Legionnaire is your brother-in arms, regardless of his nationality, race, or religion. You will demonstrate this by the strict solidarity which must always unite members of the same family.

There were of course personality clashes, but they were settled within the ranks by the men involved. Sometimes the same men clashed several times, but in battle they could be seen side by side fighting together as one person. It used to be that a lot of the volunteers were wanted by the law or running away for some reason, and you always changed your name when you joined. Now the Legion gives you a new name for your length of service and they have a strict background check that they do upon you entering training. I was so deep into my thoughts that Kat punched me on the arm to get my attention.

"Jon, will you wake up and eat something? Mikey is here and wants you and Quanta to go with him to the village."

"Sorry Kat, I was just thinking and forgot where I was for a little while. When did Mikey come in?"

She laughed and told me he had come out and told me when I was finished eating he would go to the village with me and Quanta. Damn, I thought, I hope he didn't think I was being rude by not answering him. I finished eating and sat back with fresh coffee. I told Carver and Tiny about the men coming in today, and to get them situated in the rooms on the outer parts of the villa. These were to be filled before anyone was put in the main house. Carver seemed relieved when I said how many might be coming and that they would have a care package for the armory with them.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.