The Protector - Cover

The Protector

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

Chapter 35

When I woke up, Kat was in the shower. I could hear her humming as she washed and I had to smile, because I wasn't the only one feeling satisfied with myself. Then I remembered I hadn't cancelled the plane to take us out of the country. It made me mad because I had just lost a thousand dollar deposit by not calling them. I got up and went into the bathroom. I joined Kat in the shower and was kissed immediately.

"I was wondering if you were going to wake up. Here, wash my back, will you?"

I did and any other parts I could reach, which had her giggling at my clumsy efforts. When we finally got out, she told me I had better get more practice in washing other bodies, because when she got pregnant, we were both going to be taking turns caring for the babies. She also informed me in the same breath, that twins run in her family and it was her generation to expect them. I dropped the shampoo bottle in shock. She took one look at my face, and started laughing up a storm. Me, I didn't think it was very funny at all. One baby to try to feed and stay up nights with was bad enough, but two? Oh God, I thought, why did I let myself be talked into getting married? As I stepped out of the shower to the sight of a nude Kat drying herself and I looked at her beautiful body, my question was answered for me.

"Will you quit staring and dry my back? We need to get dressed, because it's almost time for dinner. Sally will be knocking on the door again."

I did as she asked, whispering in her ear that I could afford to miss a meal for a change, if she wanted to stay up here with me. The loud knock at the door put the quietus to that thought.

"Dad, is Kat in there with you? If she is, Myrna sent me up to tell both of you supper's almost ready. If you don't come down, she's gonna be mad at both of you."

"Sally Homes, quit fishing for information and tell Myrna we'll be down in a little bit. Can't a man have any privacy in his own house?"

"Not if he has a teenage daughter who loves him, he can't. I need to keep you two apart until you're married. That's what daughters are for, Dad, to look out for the man in their lives."

"Well, this man is gonna turn you over his knee, if you don't quit snoopin' on him."

As she went down the hall, I could hear her laughing, and so was Kat at my mock indignation. We went out of the door with smiles on our faces, and Sally was waiting at the bottom of the steps.

"What took you two so long? It seems like I have been standing here for twenty minutes. What were you two doing that took so long?"

I looked at Kat, growled, and went down the steps three at a time. Sally took off running for the kitchen, squealing in mock terror with every step. I almost had her but she slid around the corner like she was on ice. I missed her and ran into the edge of the table.

"Jon Morgan, will you quit running in the house? Look at the mess you made."

"Sorry, Myrna, but I know one little girl that's gonna get paddled before the night's over for snooping on Kat and me. Besides, she should be helping you and learning how to cook, instead of beating on my bedroom door asking stupid questions."

"Well gee, Dad, if I don't ask, how am I gonna learn about the birds and bees?"

I didn't have a smart comeback for that one. It brought me up short, remembering that once again, we hadn't used any protection. I knew I had broken a cardinal rule that I had given Sally when we had a discussion about sex many months ago. Thank God, Kat came around the corner behind me and heard the last part of the conversation.

"Don't worry, Sally, if you have any questions I will be glad to answer them for you. Remember, I am a nurse and know all the answers about this subject."

"Don't worry, Kat, Dad explained it all to me months ago in one of our father daughter discussions. I know all about it, and the consequences if a mistake is made. I probably have better control over my emotions than he does, especially when he gets close to you."

They both broke out in laughter over that one, and I felt like hiding in the corner.

"Sally Homes! What have I told you about acting like a lady and conducting yourself like you have been taught? I think tonight it's your turn to clean up after supper, and you can also wash the dishes. You know better than to talk that way in front of adults."

"Yes, Myrna, I'm sorry. I won't do it again."

If she hadn't stuck her tongue out at me, I would have thought her feelings had been hurt. I almost gave it away, but caught myself at the last minute by coughing in my hand and Kat must not have seen it. She asked me to meet her in my study after dinner so she could change my bandages. She said she was afraid I might have gotten them wet in the shower. Boy, was that a boo-boo on her part, 'cause Sally jumped right on that one, laughing in delight.

"I knew you two weren't just talking!"

Kat turned three shades of red, which made her red hair seem dim by comparison. I looked at her, then at Sally, and totally lost it. I had to sit down I was laughing so hard. Myrna looked at us and at Kat, then started grinning and shaking her head. I couldn't see Carver as he had his head on the table with his arms hiding his face. I figured he was laughing, 'cause his shoulders were moving up and down in a regular rhythm. Kat sat down beside me and leaned over, whispering in my ear.

"Jon Morgan, if you don't quit laughing, I'm gonna get even with you, if it takes me a month."

I tried, I really did, but I just laughed harder if that was possible. It finally got to the point where I couldn't breathe and had to stop or suffocate myself. Sally was still grinning and Kat was glaring holes in me as she sat beside me. It finally got settled down when Myrna told us to act like adults. All through the meal, the undercurrent was brewing, and I hoped that Sally didn't open her big mouth again or I would be sleeping alone on my honeymoon. I tried to act normal and quickly finished eating, excusing myself saying I had to make a couple of calls, and that when Kat was ready she could come in and change my bandages. I thought I exited quite gracefully. Of course if wishes were horses, we all would own one.

I went into the study and called the airlines to cancel the flights. I was informed that since I hadn't given them 24 hours notice on my cancellation, I would lose my initial deposit. I knew I would, but it still made me mad. I then called the embassy and got the vice-attaché on the line and filled him in on what happened to Boudrie. He actually sounded sad because he had escaped so easily. He again thanked me, saying if I ever needed anything to be sure and give him a call first. He would be sure to expedite matters for me. I didn't figure I would ever go back to Ethiopia again, so I just filed it away in my mind. I called Jeb and made sure that Jubal and Farley got off ok. He said they were well on their way and that he would see me at Bill's funeral. He told me not to worry about our safety, 'cause he had it all covered from his end. I thanked him and promised he would have a seat with us for the Military Funeral. Bill had been a Decorated Veteran. He said that the services would be in the local cemetery, since that's where Bill had a plot. He would be buried by his wife's side as he had arranged years ago. I thanked him for the information and Kat came in as we finished. She quickly changed my bandages and checked my head. After shutting the door, she came over and sat in my lap.

"I'm sorry I got mad at you. I was just so embarrassed, and when you started laughing, it got my dander up a little. That daughter of yours has a wicked sense of humor. I have been around you long enough to know she didn't get it from you, so she must have got it from Myrna over the years. Jon, I love you, but we are going to have to find somewhere to be alone for a few days when we get married. I did a little surfing on the net today, and booked us into a private villa for a week. It's not far from the Virgin Islands, so we won't be too far away. Besides, Myrna and Carver need some time too. You know, we are going to have to sit down and have a little talk with Sally. I know how much you love each other, but she is curious as all girls are at her age. She needs to be told what the boundaries are, as far as her curiosity. Jon, you're going to have to do it, because if I tried, she would resent me for interfering. I don't want that to ever happen between us. I am the newcomer here, so it will be you or Myrna. I have a feeling it would mean more coming from you. I hope I am not making a big thing out of this, but we do need our own space and privacy."

"No, you're not making a big thing out of it, because you're right. If I thought you were trying to come between us, it wouldn't matter how much I love you, I couldn't shut her out. I know how much I love her, and I know all that she has been through on her own and since she's been with me. Kat, I love you from the top of my head to the tips of my toes, but don't put me in a position where I have to choose between you. As much as I love you, I think you know the answer to that one."

"No Jon, that's not what I meant. Oh God, how do I explain it so you can understand how I feel without hurting anyone feelings in the process? I know how you two feel about each other and I certainly don't want to be the so called wicked step mother to her. I love her, Jon, but I also love you and I just want some private time with you. She is so open and forward, she doesn't realize what that means and I love her for being that way. You have taught her never to hide her curiosity or feelings, and that's great. What I'm trying to say in my stupid way is, can you explain to her when the door's closed, that's our private time together and not to knock and ask what we're doing?"

When it finally dawned on me what she was saying, I started to laugh but she grabbed me around the throat with both hands.

"It's not funny, Jon! It's hard enough for me to repress my sounds when we're making love, without knowing a thirteen year old girl might be standing with her ear against the door listening. You don't realize how embarrassing that is to me. I just want to be myself when we're together."

"Ok, ok, don't choke me to death. I'll figure something out by the time we get back from the island and our honeymoon. We still have to attend Bill's funeral, and that is going to be very unpleasant for all of us. I personally would not go, but for Sally and Myrna's sake, I have to attend. There will be a lot of very important people there, and it will be with full Military honors. I am going to have to wear my full dress uniform. I hate to do it, but it will be expected of me. I don't know if I told you, but I am still in the service of France for another five years. I was discharged, but there is a clause in the enlistment papers that lets them call on me in times of emergency and I would have to go back on active duty. I don't expect it to ever happen, but I think you need to know this for your own peace of mind. I know you lost Jerry to war, but I don't think I will be called back because I have already served and was formally discharged several years ago."

"Oh God, Jon, I hope not! I don't think I could take all the worry and fear if you did. I don't ever want to go through that again."

She started crying and I just held her, wishing I hadn't opened my big mouth. I had meant all along to tell her, but hadn't gotten around to it with all that was going on. I had promised I would never lie to her, and I never would, but if it affected her like this, I might have to rethink that strategy. Maybe I would learn to omit a few things or not be so blunt about how I told her. Kat was right about how Sally was acting, now that I looked back on it. I realized she was feeling left out and maybe a little jealous because of my attention to Kat. I was going to have to sit down and talk to her, but it wasn't a chore I wanted to tackle. I was going to have to give it some serious thought. I could sit down with Myrna and see how she thought I should approach it. Then again, maybe that's why Sally never got too close to Sarah, because she saw her as a threat to my attention. Damn, it sucks to be me, I was thinking as a knock sounded on the door. This time it was Carver. When he came in and saw Kat crying, he was embarrassed.

"Sorry to disturb you, but Myrna asked me to tell you when you got a chance she wanted to talk to you about something. Sorry Kat, I didn't mean to disturb you two."

He quickly backed out and closed the door again. I heard him say something and couldn't tell who he was talking to, but I figured it was Sally coming to check on us again. Kat was right, this had to stop, but I didn't have the first clue as to how to go about doing it without alienating my daughter or hurting her feelings. Damn, it sucks to be the authority figure. I finally got Kat calmed down and she said she was going to watch some television. She suggested that maybe I would like to join her after I had my talk with Myrna. I didn't answer yea or nay, because I was trying to remember the last time I had watched the big TV in the front room. Sally had always taken it over to watch her movies on, but to me it was a waste of time. Of course, I wasn't about to tell Kat that. She headed to the front room while I went to the kitchen to see what Myrna wanted. When I walked in, just she and Sally were sitting at the counter. I took a seat, accepting the cup of coffee she poured me.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.