The Protector - Cover

The Protector

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

Chapter 22

When I awoke the next morning, I felt like I had been reenergized somehow. I got washed and headed for the kitchen for my first cup of coffee. To my utter astonishment, Myrna wasn't there. I had already started a pot of coffee before I made the mistake of looking at the clock. It was only five in the morning, but I felt like I had slept for ten hours. Neither my shoulder nor side was hurting, which I was happy about, because I had a full day today. I was taking my first sip of coffee when Myrna came wandering in the back door. I almost choked on my sip, because she looked like she had been out in a windstorm. When she saw me sitting there with a big grin on my face, she gave me a dirty look. I decided I would get the first word in for a change to see how she reacted. Big, big mistake on my part.

"Hard night, Myrna?"

"Don't be a smart aleck Mr. 'Oh My God You're Beautiful!'"

I busted up laughing at her early morning rendition of my reaction to Kat last night. She just grinned at me with a silly look on her face. She got a cup of coffee and came over and sat down beside me looking thoughtful.

"Jon, I don't mean to make fun of you, but I have never seen anyone react the way you did last night when you first saw her. I can't believe how beautiful she is, Jon. I know I always ride you about getting out to meet someone, but now someone has come to you. If you let her slide through your fingers, you're crazy. I watched you two in the den last night, and you reminded me of your father and mother. You both were so at ease with each other. If I hadn't known you had just met, I would have thought you were married. You do know that she and Sally are already trying to figure out a way to keep you interested in her? If I thought it would help, I would join them, but I think you are already hooked. I thought my falling for Carver was quick, but after last night, I think you hold the record in this house."

"Myrna, I have been all over the world, and over the years have met a lot of women, but never have I ever been around one that does what she does to me. It's like when I am near her, I have a cloud in my mind. All I can see is her, and for the life of me, I can't concentrate enough to pay attention to anyone but her. When I first saw her last night, I thought I was going to pass out. Myrna, I don't know why, but I think I'm in love for the first time in my life."

"Well, Jon, if it means anything, I think she feels the same way about you. All evening she couldn't keep her eyes off you. Sure she talked to everyone, but her eyes were on you the whole time. I saw the same thing every time your mother looked at your father. I don't know what you have planned for today, but if you're as smart as I think you are, you will include her in your plans. I don't think she will accept anything else but to spend more time with you."

"I have that meeting with Jeb this morning, to get all my plans for spying on the church set into motion. I don't think it's a good idea to drag her to that. Some of what she would hear would shock her enough to drive her back to the city in shock."

"Don't underestimate her, Jon. I watched her last night, and under all that beauty, I have a feeling she is hard as iron. I have a feeling the feminine side of her only comes out around you and Sally. With that red hair, I would bet she has a temper almost as bad as yours. Jon, you told her what you do, and she still came, so your plans to rescue a girl from a bunch of fanatics shouldn't bother her at all. Jon, that is a very smart woman, and it wouldn't surprise me if some of her insights would be a help to you. Besides, I'll give her my little ball bat to keep you in line."

I just laughed and got a big grin from Myrna when I did.

"I'll be back in a little bit. I have to wake Carver and get dressed. Think about what I said, and if I know you at all, I think you will agree with me."

I watched her leave, wondering if, once again, she might be right about Kat. I really wanted to spend all the time I could with her, but I still didn't want to shock her or drive her away when she saw some of the dangers of my job. I did know that if she couldn't accept it, then we would go our separate ways. The kids were more important to me than my personal feelings. Hell, it would tear me apart if we did, but I had to be realistic, this case meant more to me than any other I had worked on. I felt driven, for some reason, to rescue this girl and get her home where she belonged. I had nightmares over this one, ever since she had been taken the second time. This group needed to pay for all the harm they had done to the kids, and I would do all I could to make that happen. Being the fatalist I was, all I could do was shrug my shoulders and hope for the best outcome for our relationship.

I got up, filled my cup, and went to the dining room and unrolled the map again. The first thing that caught my eye was the red rings Myrna had put on it. The more I looked, the more I had to admire where she had suggested putting the cameras. I went to the desk, got out the big magnifying glass, and went over the area an inch at a time. Yep, she had hit the best spots for observation right on the head. The farthest camera would have a complete view of the fields and garden area where I figured all the women worked every day. If the girl was there, then she had to come there sooner or later. I almost jumped on the table when Kat spoke behind me. I wondered why she was up so early.

"I'm working on a plan to free a girl from a bad situation. Why are you up so early? I figured as late as you went to bed, you would sleep in today."

She came up beside me and as I turned to her, she took my face in her hands and pulled me down and kissed me. Oh God, I thought, here we go again. It lasted for a couple of minutes then she stepped back to look at me. I felt kind of dazed and she must have seen it on my face, because she smiled that dimpled smile and stepped back up to me and kissed me again. This time I couldn't hold back and kissed her like my life depended on it. I didn't know how long we had been kissing until we were interrupted.

"Would you two like a private room, or would you like something to eat besides each other?"

If she wasn't my daughter, I would kill her, I thought, as Kat turned red and started laughing at the look on my face. She and Sally were grinning at each other as they turned to go to the kitchen. They went out the door, talking back and forth a mile a minute. I followed them, and if someone could have read my thoughts, I would have been arrested for murder. Oh, but Sally had one coming, and I would have a little private talk with Tiny before she went to the prom. Two could play this game, I thought, as I went into the kitchen for breakfast.

I sat down in my usual spot, and Kat sat down beside me, with Sally sitting across from us. When I looked at Sally, I got that dirty little grin she had when she thought she was smarter than I was. I saw Myrna look at Carver and he just shrugged at her. I sat and ate, listening to Sally and Kat talking back and forth between mouthfuls of food. To my surprise, Kat loved grits and ate them with butter and sugar. Myrna was smiling when Kat asked for seconds. I was so busy glaring at Sally and being ignored, that I didn't see Carver get up and kiss Myrna before he left. Sally did though, and made the ahhh sound and got smacked with a spoon. She giggled and Myrna smiled at her.

"Jon, what were you saying about making plans to rescue a girl?" Kat asked.

Before I could say a word, Sally was telling her the whole story. Kat sat and listened, totally fascinated by what she was hearing. I looked at Myrna and got that "I told you so" look. I just shook my head and finished eating. I knew I wasn't going to get a word in edgewise with Sally around. I finished my breakfast and grabbed my coffee, telling Kat I had some calls to make and Sally would show her around until I got finished. I got a funny look from Myrna, but she didn't say anything. I went to my study and closed and locked the door as I went in. I felt ashamed of what I was about to do, but at this stage of the game, I couldn't take any chances on anything.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.