The Protector - Cover

The Protector

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

Chapter 19

Tiny and I sat and talked about everything that had been going on for about an hour before Sally returned to the room. She had a big smile on her face and was upbeat and humming to herself.

"Hey, have you two had a nice visit? Jon, did you know that Kat is the first shift nursing supervisor? Man, she is in charge of everything and everybody. I think you and she will get along just fine. Oh, I forgot to tell you, since you're getting out of here in the morning, I invited her to dinner at our house tomorrow night. Myrna is fixing leg of lamb and all the trimmings for us."

This bit of news hit me with a jolt, and when I looked over at Tiny, he was smirking at the look on my face. I didn't have the heart to tell Sally no, it wasn't a good idea right now with all that's going on. She seemed happy that Kat was coming to visit. I was numb and didn't know how I felt about it. I did know I wanted to see her again, but maybe not so soon. I didn't get a chance to say anything to Sally because the subject of my thoughts came in. She proceeded to remove the IVs from my arm, all the while chatting with Sally like they had known each other for years. Watching them interact, I could see they both were completely comfortable with each other, and it made me wonder.

Sally had known Sarah since I had hired her, and they always were friendly. However, the ease of conversation and camaraderie I was seeing between Kat and Sally had never been there with Sarah and Sally. Even Myrna had never completely let her guard down with Sarah and it made me wonder what the difference was in this friendship.

"Earth to Jon! Earth to Jon!"

"What, can't a man even think in peace around here?"

When I saw the looks I got from both of them, I realized I had stepped in it again. Dammit, couldn't a man have a private thought without making someone mad at him? Kat looked at Sally and got a grin in return.

"I was asking if it was ok for me to come to dinner tomorrow. I know Sally wants me to, but what do you think about it?"

I looked her straight in those big green eyes and got lost and I think she felt the same. We just stared into each other's eyes until Sally cleared her throat and broke our connection to each other. Oh God, I thought, I am a goner. If looking into her eyes did that to me, I knew I couldn't trust myself to be alone with her for very long.

"Umm, I don't have a problem with it, but my daughter and my housekeeper run my life. It wouldn't do me any good to complain, especially if I ever wanted to live in peace again. Yes, you may come, but only if you promise not to let Myrna or Sally get you alone for any amount of time."

Kat looked at Sally, who was grinning, and then she started up that little girl laughter of hers. She pushed the IV cart into the corner and walked out of the room. I could still hear her laughing down the hall when Sally jumped on the bed next to me and hugged me.

"What was that for?"

"Oh I don't know. Maybe because I like you so much."

Tiny, who had been sitting quietly in the chair, busted out laughing. We both looked at him asking at the same time, what was so funny?

"I think I better start pressing my tux. She has you hogtied and roped, my friend. Now that I have seen for myself how you two react to each other, I am sure your daughter and my aunt Myrna have already got the wedding plans in the works."

I quickly looked at Sally who was grinning and looking way too thoughtful.

"Ok, that's it, time for you two to go home. I think there has been enough underhanded shenanigans for today. Besides Sally, your prom is day after tomorrow and Tiny is going to help out by being a chaperone while he is there."

She looked at me in shock and then at Tiny, who had a big grin on his face. He got up and headed for the door. Sally gave me one of those scorching looks that all females have before following him out. I heard her start chewing on him before they got ten feet away from my door. He was laughing and she was like a dog with a bone, just giving him hell as they walked. I leaned back and laughed, remembering the look of shock on her face. Plot against me, will she? Now if I could figure some way to get back at Myrna, then this whole thing would work out to my advantage. I figured getting Myrna wouldn't happen in my lifetime, but just thinking about it gave me a big laugh. Kat came in and sat down in the chair next to my bed and smiled at me.

"Jon, I saw Sally leave and she looked mad for some reason. Was it something I did?"

I looked at her and smiled before telling her why Sally seemed so upset. Tiny had almost been hung by his daughter the last time he chaperoned. She listened and started smiling part way through the story.

"Oh Jon, she will be so mad at you. I have to admit it was sneaky though, especially after she sprang the supper thing on you the way she did. Jon, I'm not trying to intrude into your life, but I have to tell you that for the first time since my husband died, I am interested in someone. I never thought I would find anyone else that I could connect to, but I have to you for some reason I don't quite understand. If I make a pest out of myself, please tell me before this goes too much further."

"Well, Kat, you are a pest, but a nice one. I'm still trying to count the freckles on your face. Seriously though, this is for me a first too. I haven't dated anyone since I got to the States. It hasn't been easy for me to adjust. With my grandfather dying so soon after I got here, it has been a little strained for me. I just mostly threw myself into my work and forgot about everything else in life. Sally has been a godsend to me, she has made it all worth while."

"Sally told me how she came to be your ward and soon to be your daughter. Jon, you are very lucky the courts allowed it to happen. A single man in this state taking in a small girl is somewhat of a rarity."

"No, it was having a good attorney. He is well known and respected all over this area. He and my grandfather were war heroes. They also grew up with all the judges and government officials in this area. I hadn't planned on taking in Sally, but when I saw how she was being treated, I couldn't help myself. I have never regretted it, but I sometimes wonder which one of us is the ward and who is in charge."

She broke out in that little girl laughter of hers and it sent tingles all through me. As I looked at her, I knew I was in serious trouble with this beautiful young woman. Then I asked a question that I probably shouldn't have, but I really wanted to know.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.