The Protector - Cover

The Protector

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

Chapter 4

I headed out on the back roads, hoping to miss some of the traffic going into Arlington. I had a general idea of where Sarah had her apartment. When I finally got on the interstate, the traffic was fairly light. I mashed the pedal and cruised along as fast as I dared. I wasn't totally sure of where Sarah had her apartment, so I called the security company and got the address. Since my attorney lived in the area, I called him and asked about the law to make sure I was right about what I had told her before I left. Other than a couple of minor things, I had hit it exactly on the nose. When I pulled up in front of the building, there were two men carrying a large couch out the side door.

I watched them for a couple of minutes as they wrestled the couch down the short drive way and heaved it next to the curb. The arm broke off it when it landed. They thought it was funny and were laughing as they went back inside. I called the local Police Department and identified myself. I asked for a car at my location. I was told there was a unit in the area and it would arrive shortly. As I was waiting, the two men came out carrying a small coffee table which they heaved on top of the couch, laughing as they did. I was getting madder by the minute. I was just about to jump out and stop them by force, when the Police pulled up behind me. I got out and showed them my ID, saying I had a couple of arrests I wanted them to make for me. They both smiled and said it would be a pleasure.

We headed for the door where the two men were coming out again. They had an entertainment center held between them and they didn't see us coming. They heaved it on top of the other stuff and I heard glass shatter when it hit. That's when they saw us coming. They stood there and waited with smiles on their faces. The officers were behind me so I did the speaking.

"Hey fellas, don't you know it's against the law to litter in Virginia?"

"Hey this is only junk from an evicted tenant we have to haul out. I'm the owner of the building and she broke her lease."

"May I ask the lady's name, sir?"

"It's Sarah Ferguson and her check bounced for this month. I have the law on my side and can evict if she breaks her lease within thirty days. Since today is day thirty one, I am renting the apartment out as soon as we get it cleaned out. Why are you here anyway? I ain't breaking any laws."

"Sir, do you have keys for her apartment or did you have to break the door in by force?"

"She had the only set of keys so we had to force the door open. What's this all about anyway?"

"You're both under arrest for breaking into an inhabited dwelling and destruction of private property. There will be other charges I will add on later. If any of her personal possessions are missing and you have taken them, you will be brought up on more charges. Arrest them, officers!"

I watched with a smile on my face as they resisted arrest and hit one of the officers. This was the last straw, so the owner got tasered and put down fast. He was cuffed and stuffed before he recovered from the effects of the shock. He was still yelling that he hadn't broken any laws and that he was going to sue me and the Police for false imprisonment. I just laughed in his face as I followed the cruiser to the jail to book him. I couldn't believe Sarah had to put up with this asshole for the right to rent from him. I decided to call my attorney and see if there was a way we could either buy the property cheap or sue him for what he had done with her stuff. I talked to him as I followed the officers down to the booking area. He said he would check it out and get back to me within the hour. I sat at one of the tables and filled out the report and turned it into the booking desk.

I called Sarah and asked her where she was. She said she was on her way to her apartment to get her personnel effects out before they got lost or stolen, so I filled her in on what had happened. She was mad by the time we were ready to get off the phone, so I asked her to come to central booking and file her own charges against her landlord. She said she would be here within fifteen minutes. I told the booking officer she was coming in and he said he would make sure she was sent right back. He said he knew her, and that she was a good influence on several of the children the department had sponsored for summer ball games. He asked if it was her stuff they were breaking up so I told him most of the story about how it had come about. He was red in the face by the time I was through. He made a call, telling someone which cell they were to put Mr. Hammond in for his stay. Then he looked at me, grinning from ear to ear.

"I think he and ole Fred will get along just great together while he is here. Fred likes older men and hasn't had a cell mate for about three months. I think your Mr. Hammond will get an attitude adjustment within five minutes after they close the door."

I just laughed saying it couldn't happen to a nicer person. He agreed with me and offered me a cup of coffee. I accepted and drank it while we waited for Sarah to arrive. When they brought her to the back, she was greeted by half of the officers on duty. It seemed as if they knew Sarah and had a high regard for her. I sat down at a table with her and helped her fill out her complaint sheet. Just as we were finishing, the DA showed up. He wanted to know why Sarah hadn't called his office when this had first started. The booking Captain came up asking the DA if he could get a search warrant to look for Sarah's things in the rest of the building.

"I will not only get the warrant, Captain, but I will personally accompany Miss Ferguson as she searches. If any of her things are found anywhere in that building other than her apartment, I will file charges personally against the owner. Give me a half hour to get it typed up and signed, then we can go."

I watched as he walked away in a huff. I had to smile at the look of confusion on Sarah's face as he did.

"Jon, why are they going to so much trouble over some furniture and stuff?"

"Sarah, you don't seem to realize that with what you do with the kids and with me, you are considered one of them. Believe me when I say it is an honor. They take care of their own any way they can. I have to go now, so why don't you wait here for the warrant? Use the credit card to get a truck and some men to move your stuff to the farm. There are six or seven empty bedrooms, so take your pick and settle in. I'm sure Sally and Myrna will love to have another female to help overrule everything I want to do."

I got up and left with the sound of her laughter in my ears. I got in the truck and headed for the brokerage firm. This was the part of the problem that was going to be mine to enjoy to the limit. When I arrived at the brokerage, I pulled up into the parking place in front marked as private and put the placard that said Official Business in my window. When I went inside, I scanned the directory and saw the company was on the fifth floor and caught the next elevator up. To my surprise, the place covered the whole floor. In big letters on the door was the name, "Morgan and Associates."

Hell, I thought, it had been named after me instead of the bank which controlled the other majority interest. I did know that the acting Director owned fifteen percent of the stock, but between me and the bank, I had controlling interest. This had been another business that my Nigerian friend had set up so I would be legal with the Internal Revenue Service. I didn't know a thing about the other businesses I owned or controlled, other than this one, because this was where Sarah's checks were written through. When I had found this out, I had checked it all out to protect Sarah.

When I walked up to the receptionist, she took one look at me and the way I was dressed and immediately got an attitude.

"May I help you, Sir?"

"Yes you may. I would like to talk to Mr. Jackson as soon as possible."

"Just a moment and I will see if he is available to talk to you. May I ask who you are, sir?"

Before I answered her, I had to take a deep breath to hold my temper in check. I knew right then and there I would make some personnel changes before the day was over, starting with her and her attitude.

"My name is Jon Morgan and I believe I own this company, if it's any of your business. Now, get Mr. Jackson down here before I have to go looking for him."

I watched with a smirk as her eyes bugged out when she realized that her whole world was going to collapse around her because of her actions and attitude. She fumbled with the phone for a couple of minutes before she was able to dial the extension I was sure she had memorized. She told whoever she was talking to that I was here and that I immediately wanted to see Mr. Jackson at the front desk. Just then another younger girl walked up smiled at me. She told the woman she was back from lunch and that she could go back to her desk. I thought she was going to run, she was moving so fast to get out of sight.

"Sir, may I offer you a cup of coffee or something to drink while you're waiting for your party?"

I watched her face and there was no deception or falseness when she addressed me. This was a lovely young woman who enjoyed her job and strove to do it well.

"Who was the woman who just left if, you don't mind me asking?"

"Oh, that was Millie. She is one of the typists who work here. She hates to work the front desk. It's a part of her job to relieve me when I go to lunch or if I miss a day because of sickness."

"How long have you been working here, Miss?"

"I started right after college. I was trained as a public relations consultant, but I ended up being the receptionist because no one else wanted the job. They keep giving me raises every time I remind them I wasn't hired for this job. I can't complain though because I like greeting people, and the pay is great. I've already paid back all my student loans and now I'm saving to buy a house."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.