Better Left Alone
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2012 by Lapi

The next thrilling adventure

Now we would need to wait and draw out Ptolemy into a place of our choosing. How I loved these girls, I had a lot to learn. I did not even begin to appreciate how important their advice will be in the upcoming battle.

It seemed strange that here we were, sitting and waiting. Here was one of the best strategy thinkers, a devious Queen and my choice of an army ready to be summoned, and yet we were waiting. My girls had been correct; the next move was Ptolemy's. We; however could try to lure him into our trap. I asked Julius for ideas how we might do this. He offered to send out the Roman legions and form up into lines of battle at a spot we had selected. When Ptolemy would see them he might attack, if not we tried. Several days went by and still no attack. We had seen his scouts and fought a large number of his skirmishers. I am certain the Roman troops were outnumbered but Ptolemy was still wary.

On the 4th day of waiting we heard horns sound, drums beat and trumpets blared to a slow march. From behind chariots rode up, and two lines of bodyguard warriors lined the sand from the city to where we were. Cleopatra was coming to us, this young girl meant to be with us win or loose. When she arrived on the hill she called out, "Brother, can you hear me, come closer, do not be afraid, I will not bite unlike my snakes." She continued, "We grow tired of waiting for you, if you give yourselves up I may attend to more important things; if not, then here I am, come and get me!"

The insults had made Ptolemy show his hand, if he could not defeat his sister with her small army and a few Roman legions then he was not a man his soldiers would trust. He marched out with his men to give battle. Our force numbered a little more than 50,000. What we now saw before us was an army Ptolemy had forged of some 350-400,000 men. This was far more than we had expected.

Vernna said to me, "Master, could you not call the same army that had defeated my people?" "No I said, for 2 reasons, first I can not summon the same army twice, secondly, that army only was able to defeat your people because the battle had been fought in close quarters, your people had to attack in small groups and Roman archers only allowed them access through narrow gaps. This was the kind of battle those Spartan warriors, and in fact the Roman soldier excels at. Here it is desert and open ground." She asked. "Does that mean that my people would have defeated yours otherwise," "Yes my dear, your 400,000 Gauls would have swarmed all over us." "Master, why then would you not summon my people to fight for you here?" Out of the mouths of babies, I meant Babes. Why not indeed, as I summoned the Gaul. I had not known that another 200,000 of the finest horsemen were a part of this army, they had not arrived in time to fight before, now, together we numbered over 650,000 troops. As Ptolemy descended into the valley first the horse swept down upon them next the main Gallic army scattered them to the winds and sand. After several hours of chase, the horse had returned with Ptolemy and his Generals and led them in chains to Cleopatra.

When they stood before her, she sat on her throne, with Julius, my girls, and myself nearby, then she spoke. "Brother, how nice to see you again, when I have time you shall just have to tell me again how smart and powerful you are and how I a poor women should renounce my throne to you. I always have loved amusing stories. Oh and do not worry, we shall have a long time together for your stories, a very long time."

Roman Legions began to arrive and restored the entire city to Cleopatra's rule. Eventually, several hundred thousand Egyptian troops rallied those throughout the country and Cleopatra made a grand entrance into Rome when Caesarean was born. This however was not received as was expected by Rome or the Egyptian people. About a year after her return to Egypt, Ptolemy and his Generals were released after swearing an oath to not oppose Cleopatra.

Julius returned to Rome a hero, the Empire was the largest it had ever been, feed by Egyptian grain and powered with Egyptian gold. Soon Julius and Cleopatra would expand from sea to sea, the entire known world.

It seems though, people only remember what they want to hear, I had warned Julius to be careful in Rome.

Julius and Cleopatra will appear in a future chapter.

No new girl from here, yet.

Darn.

Ouch, one of mine kicked me.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.