A Return to Greatness
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2012 by Lapi

The Romans' magic. At the camp

When the new Roman troops arrived (with the even more extra gold) there were now more than 200,000 if you counted the dogs and wolves. When the Verguul arrived, Marcus was amazed; there were more than 100,000 of them. Some already had collars and chains; these were to be the captives. The Verguul leader came to them while the rest joined up with the huge dogs and wolves. "Perhaps", he said "a few of your new support troops would act as handlers for my people, lots were drawn and this camp will be protected by those that lost; 10 should be more than enough."

Marcus, by a quick count had 2000 extra Verguul packs, troops were dispatched to act as handlers for them. "Marcus all except the very young and the very young and those who would guard you camp wanted revenge. We all want, no, need this revenge. I know we have promised you slaves but thirst for revenge is so great, that when my people see how their loved ones have been treated, even I will not be able to control them. If you now wish to withdraw your troops I will understand and we are to part as friends, for my people would rather see their wives and children killed than to have them treated in the manner they are being held."

Marcus held out his hand to the Verguul leader, then, saluted him. "When I said our friends now hold this region, I meant this city also. My only concern was while we fought to free your families, that many of them would be killed. My ground troops are with me on this my friend and will join you in destroying every last of these swine. When the special troops came from Rome they also brought some extra gold to pay for our new troops." He raised his hand as 500,000 Gallic fast cavalry started to appear. "These are to ride as fast as possible to rescue and protect the captives, that is their sole purpose, the others who ride will clear their path then slaughter any who would approach. Together our troops number more than a 1,000,000 and when we leave we will only return as your guests or to aid you. Grow and prosper my friend and know true friends to Rome are few and far between. I am the emperor of Rome and my pledge will last as long as I live, longer if my replacement is wise. Come we have a battle to fight."

At the Enemy City. The Roman and Hunic cavalry advanced toward the city to announce the approach of Marcus and the Verguul captives. While the Gallic troops skirted the edges of the forest, (eliminating any guard or scout found there) the captive Verguul, the near 150,000 dogs, wolves and Verguul surrounded them. The ground soldiers formed up as trumpets blared then Marcus and his Praetorians approached the city, he waited. The gates of the city opened and the king with a large, very large escort came out.

"Well King" Marcus said, "before my main forces arrive did you bring enough gold to purchase these slaves or do you prefer further lessons in Roman courtesy?" The King had planned to impress Marcus with his 500,000 troops then merely demand the slaves or offer a low price until Marcus said My Main Force. He then saw the purple robe and golden armour Marcus wore and the royal blue of his Praetorian guard. He then knew this was the Emperor of Rome and that this advance force had already defeated 250,000 soldiers without casualty. He also had not seen these dogs and wolves; perhaps they were even more powerful than the others.

"No great Emperor, we do not fear you but we also mean you no disrespect. We would purchase these slaves, name your price."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.