A Return to Greatness - Cover

A Return to Greatness

Copyright© 2012 by Lapi

Chapter 7

The Campaign

(The time was 278 AD, the Roman Empire had begun to slowly fade away and there remained but a few veteran legions, among them the Praetorians who had just rebelled and installed a new emperor, and the dog units made up of bull mastiffs and giant wolves. Oh Rome was creating many more legions now but made up from Spain and paid troops from Gaul. They even had a selection of horse cavalry made up from former foes. It was unclear how they were to be used in Italy but the 50,000 men were a huge benefit to campaigns, often acting as archers and cavalry both. In one fight, they had even dismounted behind the enemy and put a huge enemy to flight. It was after this that the legions they fought with now treated them as friends and even presented eagles naming them the 50th to the 55th legion.)

They had made a forced march and made excellent progress until they approached this swamp and gloomy woods. It was getting dark now and was not going to be easy if they were to proceed during the night, so the army camped for the evening.

There were a little less than 9 legions (3 of horse), 3 were fresh veteran ground troops, 1 the elite 7th and the remnants of the 5th which had held the pass more than a month before the others arrived to relieve them. Two new legions remained to take over defending the pass, most of the wounded; at least those severely injured were taken to Rome for medical care.

The 5th legion's remainder refused to go back but insisted on going with the other legions, they could not be denied considering what they were able to accomplish. Of the 3 fresh armies, one was the 11th mountain, which was originally on its way to the border in Spain, another barbarian cavalry added to the 53rd Horse, newly recruited in Gaul.

The other was the Praetorian Guard, sent along with 3,000 Nubian archers to compliment the 7th and bear the brunt of charges that the enemy makes against them.

They would be outnumbered 3 or 4 to 1, however, with the selection of high ground and the protection of mountain troops, they were expected to provide cover for the flanks, but only a delaying action would be needed if his plans were going to work. That may be a big if though, he still had not received any agreement for a parlay, not any response at all, now this swamp and trees.

Camp was made, a good meal prepared, horses fed watered and readied for the night, in the morning the supply wagons would be sent back, a depot made here with some extra supplies, horses and guards with the 6 reserve cohorts, these were gathered from villages along the march, were untested but should deter raiders from attempting to pilfer any supplies, he would not call these men into battle, should his primary surprise not materialize, then these recruits could not make much of a difference.

He would wait and hope that the Verguul would accept the meeting and be pleased with what was offered, sleep finally came.

There were some rumors about the Verguul, most dated back several centuries, none really could explain how they came about nor where they came from.

Some say that Rome itself was founded by babies that the Verguul raised like their own.

Whatever and wherever they came from, they were Rome's last hope to defeat these invaders.

No one saw the dark shape moving quickly to the commander's tent.

Those on guard were alert but it was very dark and the figure low to the ground, there was a slight pause, then the tent back raised and the figure entered. When dawn broke, it came too early, as usual; he was about to call for help to put on his armour when he was face to face with the intruder. "Marcus, Marcus, Marcus, will you ever learn that even a general needs to have better protection that a few guards"?

"Hello old friend, yes I should use more caution but if I am to die, so be it ... Now, will there be a meeting"?

"Tonight, several tribes, packs or whatever you want to call them will meet with you and I alone to hear what you have to say, if it is agreeably then a final council will be held".

"Ahhh, what if we don't reach that far"?

"Then we will most certainly not see the sunrise my friend".

There was nothing to do but wait; the extra day of rest would be welcome but why they had forced march here no longer seemed to matter now, if everything worked out as he hoped then it would have all been worth the effort.

Night finally came, Marcus and his trusted friend Gannt made their way to the meet site, when they arrived, there was a small clearing but they were alone, or so it appeared. Gannt said, "best to sit down, relax when they are ready we will see them". 15 minutes passed when Marcus felt a laboured breath on the back of his head, a voice said, "we have deemed this occasion to be a start and an end to any bargain commander, what is it you offer".

Marcus spoke. "While it would be nice to rule the world, it would be very nice if we ruled those areas where our friends did not. Together would do just as well. Across the mountains to the west a vast army waits to destroy our finest troops, while we may win, if your kind were to aid our cause we will forever consider your people as those friends".

"Oh and there are more than 200,000 potential gifts which you might find some use for, they will be all yours, at least those still alive".

"My dear commander I accept everything you offer plus want one more thing, that may yet be of some value to us, after this little skirmish is over, there is a very special thing, which we must do, and your troops may just have the extra considerations, which will help us".

"While we intend to assist you, can you have 1 additional legion await us in 5 days at this camp, we will need them too to complete our special task after the battle".

"It is agreed, we will meet you in 2 days at the pass to join battle, and additional legions will meet us in 5 days".

Messengers were sent back to have the added mastiffs meet us here, now the supplies and support were retained, in fact 15,000 more support troops and 17,000 more cavalry were to join here, these Verguul were worth more and more; it was going to be quite interesting to work with them. Three million more gold talens were also requested from Rome, this for emergency use.

Marcus along with his legions began the short march back to the pass. With the men he had left there would be some 70,000 Romans and now 2,500 or more werewolves. It now did not seem even fair.

The Battle

The legions marched out of the pass in tight formation. These were the finest men there ever were. In the front were the veteran soldiers victorious from battles with Persia followed by the Praetorian Guard, all with blue plumes and cloaks. Behind them in close order the other troops and finally the cavalry was last.

They followed a road which led them through mountains first on the left them on the right then heading into a long canyon road with hills on both sides. It was there they would be attacked, it was the perfect spot. Just before the turn into the canyon, the troops stopped, on the right, the mountain legion rose up into sight, the eagles glaring in the blazing morning sun, the cavalry wheeled to the left along with slingers and archers poised to make any attempt to attack from that side suicide. The legions formed into shield walls several ranks deep, nothing save a bird would ever go through, signal horns blared out and the well-armed, well-trained and loyal soldiers held the southern landscape, with mountains now on either side.

The enemy, some 250,000 strong were now hastily making plans for a charge, 35,000 hunic cavalry appeared from the canyon, they would lead the attack, but now had to charge into a wall of steel, they seemed to slow down, changed direction and joined the troops on the Roman left, it was amazing how gold could buy help when properly motivated with greed and these Huns were paid for with Roman gold.

There were now 215,000 of the enemy and some 100,000 Romans, plus those 2,500 extra helpers.

The elite enemy foot soldiers now could be seen coming through the canyon; these men were heavily armed but would be no match for his men.

Just then, loud yelling, followed by blood curdling screams could be heard in the distance, the line of the enemy advanced and were now getting ready to charge to the left flank and center line as the yells and screams became louder.

Closer and closer the enemy came, Roman archers let several volley of arrows loose, the 35,000 horse cavalry which defected from the enemy began to move up, narrowing the range and shot volley after volley of arrows causing the charge to halt.

It was then could be seen what appeared to be a black swarm of wolves, hands, legs and heads began to try to shake away teeth and jaws that held them fast, within an hour after the start of the battle, it was over.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.