A Return to Greatness - Cover

A Return to Greatness

Copyright© 2012 by Lapi

Chapter 3

God wills it! The fall of the Crusades and the mercy of Salladin. Things were simpler back then; greed, lack of education, a lax life and plain stupidity made it easy to get people to do what one wanted. In Europe if the bastard peasants would just leave, then the kings and Pope could have more land for themselves.

In the Sinai, most just wanted the land they have had some 1,000 years. They had medical, educational, math, writing, reading, astronomy, science and related skills. But I guess the zeal to convert them was the mainstay of those peasants. I am sure wealth, women, and land had nothing to do with it.

It seems that mercy and justice were lessons that were easier found in the desert that elsewhere.

Sinai circa 300 AD

I was quite pleased, behind and at either side were a vast army of troops. It was the very first time I was along side my father leading an engagement. I was 13 and before this I could only watch from the baggage train along with my sisters or occasionally from the top a any nearby hill guarded by troops around me. It felt so wonderful, ringing the chariot, were but blurs around me and my father, the pharaoh, signaling the troops as to where to go.

It seemed that soon the enemy would be defeated and we slowly pulled up near a high ridge, my father ordered one of his generals to assume command of the battle and have the enemy submit. He took off, most of the troops followed and a few gathered around us.

A bearded and scarred up man rode up to us, dismounted and approached. He saluted then joined us in the chariot. He said, "looks like there will be a victory celebration tonight sire". Then he laughed put his hand on my shaven head and asked me, "so little one since you also shared in this fight will you be taking any of the spoils later, I hear these Thracian girls learn how to please their men at a very early age". I blushed beet red, and looked up at my father, he stroked his chin, "mmmm" he said, "unless Gauis gives you some of his share in the spoils I think that you will only get to have 15-20 young girls, at least virgin young girls for I think their families will try to trade their favours in exchange for their own lives, but we shall see."

No one outside of my servants who had bathed and clothed me over the years had ever touched me. To have the military man do so and to not bow or even kneel to my father was very strange.

"Sire", said the driver, to the right, three clouds of dust approached where we were at where they were headed. My father turned, "Gauis he said take my son to safety, hurry it seems we have been betrayed" "No father I will not desert you, my place is with you now, here, If this is the end so be it but I am not leaving you." Gauis smiled, "sire perhaps the little one is right, we may need his protection too, ahhh, but I have also brought some with me as he signaled for trumpets to sound, I think though that a few of my personal guard would also wish that your protector left a few of these mongrels for them to have".

Several hundred chariots followed by a thousand ground troops, all heavily armoured and carrying both spears, swords and a large shield on their arm surrounded the hill where they stood. In the distance the three dust clouds were slowing, in the distance also could be seen very large groups of cloaked riders, then more dust. They had now disappeared and now approached a lone man on a small black horse, the guard around the hill parted, saluted and bowed to the man lowering their eyes to the ground as they now formed two lines allowing the man access up the hill. Still mounted he touched several part of his face and spoke what appeared to the Pharaoh some sort of greeting, Gauis replied back and the man continued, "I truly am sorry that removing those cattle took so long but my men were not certain if they intended to protect or to harm your highness, after some, err discussion with a few it was deemed that they were not your friends. Well Gauis, do you still remember the way to my summer home or should I have a trail of bodies placed so you may join me there, of course with his highness and any guard you and he might require. It is to warm here in the sun, please all, join me in Saradoom." He rode off.

My father laughed, "Gauis my old friend I always knew you were good for something other than chasing women". "But highness, that takes much energy and who ever knows the danger which may lie there". "My son, be very careful of this old fox or he may lead you astray. Gauis, who was that and how did you discover that I had been betrayed."

"That was the leader of most of the people in this desert, and king of a land that is as large as yours and mine combined. He was found when he and his guard were caught in a sandstorm. My troops tended to him and brought him to my camp. He seemed to feel he owed me for something that was just a common courtesy."

That is when my father told me who Gauis was, his full name was Gauis Flavius Marcus ruler of the Roman Empire, he had brought his Praetorians only with him but had asked another old friend, the rider in black to watch over my father. He later found out that the sheik had not only been watching us but had 25,000 of his finest warriors ready to assist should the enemy begin to prevail.

The taking of the city soon followed after the defeat of the troops, the gates were opened and every inhabitant knew they would soon be killed or sold into slavery, their women raped and the city burnt for most were Moslem. As we entered the city a small group prostrated themselves before us, one spoke. "Your great highness, we surrender, we only ask if your majesty would allow some of our children to live, we will cause you no trouble, as we will await your just wrath."

My father spoke, "feed and water my horses and men, give them lodging and assemble the families of the men slain today, I will return and you will then see my wrath on my enemies. Outside you will see the captives in chains, guarded and I want their families brought out to them. Make no attempt to free them, nor feed them or cause me any trouble, you may bring them water twice each day but speak not a word to them or their families."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.