Montessori High School - Cover

Montessori High School

Copyright© 2012 by Cor

Chapter 7

That morning's mail had included a large manila envelope. As was her habit, Jessica opened the mail and sorted it, redirecting any mail not directly addressed to Janet to the proper hands. The manila envelope contained a thick black report-covered document with a cover letter attached to the front cover by means of a paper clip. A quick glance confirmed that the letter was meant for Janet's attention so she placed it in the pile and carried the lot into Janet's office. "Somebody by the name of Massey from Brookdale University sent you a report, the rest is straight forward," she announced as she dropped the pile on the corner of the desk.

"Oh?" She didn't know any Massey ... Wait a minute ... She dove into her pile of mail and resurfaced with the black folder-bound report. The cover letter was but a short note that said more or less " ... just thought you might be interested in reading the second part of Lisa's thesis."

"Yes, Dean," she thought, "I'm very much interested..."

Before reading it however, she decided to dig out Lisa's first report and read that one again from cover to cover, to get the feel of the kind of person she was. Having met her, the report seemed richer, fuller; as if she could imagine Lisa narrating it verbally in front of her. Only then did Janet proceed with the second report.

It was around eleven thirty when Janet called me.

"Hi, Paul, I want to ask you a favor but first of all, how's Debra ... are there any lingering issues?"

"Physically, no ... but she seems more anxious; I notice her hesitate a second before stepping outside."

"If you want, I can arrange an appointment with the school board's psychologist. And what about you?"

"I don't think it will be necessary but if I change my mind, I'll let you know. As for myself, I'm fine ... mind you, when I saw the blue paint; I had a pretty clear idea of what had happened. What's the favor?"

"Paul, would you have a cabin available over the Christmas holidays until ... let's say the fifteenth of January ... maybe a bit longer?"

"Maybe ... let me check. For you... ?"

"No, not me personally ... but I might drop by more frequently next summer ... I think you're starting to win me over. No ... actually, I want to invite someone and she's into skin."

"Yeah ... I have space. Are we talking one person?"

"I don't know ... better make it for two but I'll have to confirm that. Could you save it for me?"

"Okay, but if I lose paying customers, I'll have to charge you."

"I'll confirm it as soon as possible. Thanks, you're a dear."

"You didn't think so last year when I had you over a barrel with the 'Cuda Beach Elementary school uniform."

Janet chuckled. "Like I said, I think you must be winning me over ... either that or I'm getting old and mellow."

"You? Never!"

This time, Janet laughed outright. "Thanks again, Paul. I'll call you back as soon as I can about that reservation. Bye for now."


"Ms Lisa Cummings, please?"

"..."

"Ms Cummings? Janet Brooks, Manatee Bay School Board ... we met last month at Sunny Acres; we had come to visit your high school."

"Yes, I remember. What can I do for you?"

First of all, I'd like to congratulate you on your Master's degree; Dean Massé was kind enough to let me know you had succeeded."

"Thank you, you are most kind."

"Ms Cummings, what I'm about to ask you may sound strange but I'm perfectly serious. Would you be willing to come here to present your Master's thesis to the school board and some other interested people?"

" ... You're kid ... No, you just said you were not, didn't you... ? What time frame are we talking about?'

"Well ... I was sort of hoping for the beginning of January. I'd pay all your expenses: your flight down here and back, of course. And on the off-chance you would accept, I've reserved a cabin for your stay at the local naturist resort, starting on the twenty third of December."

"I need to talk with my husband ... can you hold five minutes or would rather that I call you back?"

"No, I'll wait."

"Very well, I'll be right back."

"..."

"Okay, I'm back..."

"That wasn't very long?"

"My husband is a lawyer and by an odd coincidence, he was right next door; he's giving a course on ethics to the high school students at the moment."

"Well ... That's handy ... Could I ask what your answer is?"

"Harold reminded me we have a previous engagement on Christmas day but that we could arrive the evening of the twenty-sixth."

"Excellent. Could I ask your husband's name, please?"

'Harold Pettigrew."

And what would be the longest you could stay down here?"

"Well, he has a court appearance on the seventeenth ... he would need five days to prepare for that so we would need to leave on the twelfth at the latest."

"Very well, I'll have my secretary write you a letter of confirmation with your flight numbers and tickets. I'll look forward to seeing you again.

"Thank you for the invitation."

"Not at all. I thank YOU for accepting to come down to speak to us."


Lisa was nervous; those actors and actresses that puked back-stage before the show was to start had nothing on her. She was it; she was the ultimate champion at opening-night jitters of all times, definitely!

She was in a small dressing room to one side of the stage of the Roxy Theater, Manatee Bay's movie house. It was an old building; built at the turn of the previous century and had originally been set up for live theater but no one had produced a live show there for years already.

There had been an attempt a few years back to start an amateur theater company but the upkeep costs of that venture had caused it to fizzle. Nowadays, it was used as an art house movie theater showing old classics, both black and white and in color, and the occasional first-run movie, usually one month after they had run everywhere else. There had been talk of closing it all together because with the new digital technology the latest movies were using, it would need a major upgrade that no one could afford.

Four weeks previously, after Lisa had hung up on Janet, she had called Venera and, together, they had worked on preparing a PowerPoint presentation of her thesis. Lisa had never used that software before and had been unsure of how to proceed. Venera was still on sick leave because of her broken collarbone and she had been chafing at the bit. Helping Lisa had been a relief. Then, it was Christmas ... Meredith Hatcher had invited Lisa and Harold to spend Christmas Eve and Night at her place; Meredith herself was not really into Christmas – instead, she was into Druidry and the winter solstice but for Mark's sake (he was still only five, after all), she held onto the trappings.

It had been nice to spend time with Meredith again and Harold had taken his son to see the lights in town (the four still saw each other regularly when Meredith dropped Mark off at the day-care and the two of them had spent Thanksgiving weekend at Lisa and Harold's cabin but, still, it wasn't enough.)

Lisa and Harold had arrived at Manatee Bay the day after Christmas, as agreed. Janet had driven to the airport herself to pick them up and bring them to the Barracuda Beach Resort. She had asked me to take them personally on a tour of the resort and show them to their cabin. I guess Janet was not superstitious.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.