Delayed Reaction - Cover

Delayed Reaction

Copyright© 2012 by Coaster2

Chapter 6: A Soft Landing

Ramona Leiter looked up as I approached John's office.

"He's expecting you," she said without expression.

"Thanks," I said, recognizing she was aware of the seriousness of my visit.

I knocked and entered, seeing the drawn look on John Hoffer as he sat behind his desk. He rose and gestured toward the small table off to the side with comfortable chairs surrounding it. I moved toward it and selected a seat.

"Thank you for coming so promptly, Cam. This is a very distressing situation. I haven't had a lot of time to think about all the ramifications that can fall from this but here's what I know."

I sat back to listen to John.

"Wray was arrested on Friday evening in the company of an underage minor. He was having sex with the boy at the time. In addition, he was found to be in possession of a quantity of methamphetamine. The raid took place sometime around one in the morning and he was taken directly to the Main Street station, booked and put in a cell.

"He called his lawyer Saturday morning and was released on bail sometime later that morning. I talked to Marion before he arrived home and she was beside herself. She had no idea that he was using drugs, much less involved with young boys. I don't know what will become of their marriage, but I can't think this will do it any good.

"Late Saturday afternoon he called me. He was aware that I knew of his arrest and he had talked briefly to Marion. He offered his resignation and I have reluctantly accepted it. He also personally apologized to me. He sounded like a broken man, Cam, and I'm not surprised. He's almost as old as I am and I doubt he'll ever work again ... at least not at the level he was at here."

I was sitting back listening to John relate what must have been a horrible day. I felt for him. He was a great guy and someone I really respected. On top of that, he was very supportive of me and I would do everything I could to make him proud of me.

"With Wray gone, I'll need you to step into the breach, Cam," John said. "I know you can do it. You've proved yourself more than once and I have complete confidence that you'll do a good job for Emerald. You're part of the future of this company and I don't have any hesitation in giving you this opportunity."

I won't pretend that I didn't expect this to happen. After all, John really didn't have a lot of choices. Oh, he could get a head-hunter and look for a new executive, but that would be expensive and time consuming. I had pretty much guessed he would ask me to take the job and I was prepared to accept.

"I'll do everything I can to warrant your trust in me, John. I think I can bring some new ideas to the table when the time comes. I do have a suggestion and a request, however."

"Go ahead," he said, intrigued.

"I don't see any need to replace Wray with another person. I believe the operations department has the bodies it needs to do the job. It's a matter of redistribution of the resources. I would assume that I and the other vice presidents would report directly to you."

"Go on."

"Siobhan Mulcahy will continue to act as my personal assistant. She has been an invaluable aid in her first year with Emerald and has a full understanding of the position. She would be ideal as my backup.

"In addition, Donna Witherspoon has looked after Wray's desk for a number of years. I've found her to be very efficient and competent. I believe she could serve both Siobhan and myself effectively without being overworked. Essentially, we would be combining four jobs into three."

I saw John smile for the first time that day.

"If you think you can do it that way, then I'm all for it. Are you sure about Ms. Mulcahy?"

"More than sure, John. I asked her to marry me on Saturday. She'll be a captive employee," I grinned.

"Marry? I didn't even know you were dating," he said in shock.

"We weren't. It's been one of those things that sort of crept up on us. We've been working closely for a year and all that time I think I knew I was falling for her and yet, we never even touched, much less dated."

"That's the strangest thing I've ever heard of," he said. "Are you positive?"

"Absolutely," I said with a big smile. "I don't think I've ever been this positive about anything."

"Well congratulations," he said with a big smile, rising and extending his hand. "I guess I'd better go down to her office and offer her my congratulations as well."

"I haven't said anything about the realignment of the Operations Department to her, John. I thought that I should wait until I talked to you. I wasn't sure if you would approve."

"Well then, I'll just keep it to your engagement for now. We can talk as a group when you've had a chance to tell her and Donna."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.