The Teacher - Cover

The Teacher

Copyright© 2011 by Cor

Chapter 33: "Not guilty!"

It was the fifth of December. Lisa had thought to tell the story of St. Nicholas, the Bishop of Myra, who's feast day was to be the following day but, finally, she decided not to as many of her charges still believed in Santa Claus and she had thought it better not to cloud the issue.

School was over for the day and the last of the parents from town, Mr. and Mrs. Johnston had just arrived to pick up Timothy and Judy. As they were leaving, Lisa saw Harold stroll up the lane towards the day-care. It was nice to see him in the Sunny Acres uniform but he'd look even better, Lisa thought, if he would even out his tan.

"Hi, Stranger..."

"Hi, yourself. I was wondering if I could take you out to diner tonight; I've heard of this great place not too far away – serves good food and, best of all, it's come as you are."

"Why, thank you, sir ... that's right neighborly of you." Lisa grabbed a pair of towels and joined Harold back to the Bare Pit, Sunny Acres' restaurant. Picking an outside table, even though the evenings were getting to be on the cool side, they spread their towels and sat across from each other.

A pretty blonde sixteen year old wearing nothing but a small apron came to serve them. "Hi, Lisa ... Hello, Harold, long time, no see."

"Hi, Mandy ... I think I'll have the pork chop with baked potato. And I'd like a beer with that, if you don't mind."

"Sure, Harold ... would you like a bowl of soup first?"

"What is it?"

"Chicken Royale."

"Sounds good."

"What about you, Lisa?"

"I'll have the Lasagna with a glass of red wine, no soup."

"Coming right up."

"Mandy's right: you don't come here that often. What's the occasion?"

"Word has descended from on high ... Judge Thatcher has finished studying the question; she will render her verdict next Monday morning. We are expected at the courthouse at ten."

"Oh." They spent the rest of the meal discussing different eventualities.


The following Monday, Harold and Lisa arrived at the courthouse early because, between the media, the libertarians and the religious fanatics, they were expecting a feeding frenzy. They were not mistaken; there were at least five hundred people milling about the courthouse steps and placards and protest signs covering the full gamut from 'PERVERTS" to 'DOWN WITH RELIGIOUS INTOLERANCE' were very much in evidence. Fortunately, someone had had the bright idea to string a double line of guide ropes up the steps, keeping the slobbering wolves at bay. As a result, Harold and Lisa were only slightly inconvenienced by the most enterprising of newscasters.

By the time they entered the audience hall where Judge Thatcher would read her verdict, the room was full; quite a few of the spectators were journalists but there were also several parents as well as a few of the religious fundamentalists who had been called as witnesses. One person who was notably absent was Eugene Crenshaw, the man who had started this entire circus. At ten o'clock sharp, the bailiff and the assistant bailiff closed the doors and stood in front of them; they had obviously been told that no 'spontaneous' upwelling of emotions would be tolerated.

Immediately afterwards, "Order in the court! Docket 6730657; The People vs. Lisa Cummings – Judge Margaret Thatcher presiding. All rise!" was heard and Judge Thatcher made her appearance. As she placed her portfolio on her desk, settled her robes and settled in her seat, the court was told "Please be seated."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.