Picking Up the Pieces
Chapter 27

Copyright© 2011 by Wes Boyd

Thursday, December 6 - Friday, December 7, 2001

Dave didn't do a lot of thinking about the conversation with Dayna and Sandy for the next two weeks, though, from the beginning, he'd realized there were some important points in there that could pertain to book sales on the Internet like he'd been talking about with Rob. But, as he pointed the Chevy's hood toward New York, he knew he would have some time to think about it, if for no more reason than to get his mind off the book he was writing, which still lacked so much as a working title.

Clearly there were some lessons to be learned from the two musicians, although Dave wasn't quite sure what they were or how they would apply to the question. While he had spent years reading books on a computer screen and editing onscreen, a big part of him still preferred to sit down with a paper book in his lap when he wanted to read for pleasure. He was pretty sure that on-screen reading was going to be the accepted norm sometime in the future, but the time wasn't here yet, and he suspected that lack of acceptance would put a crimp in any sales program. Still, if his discussions with Dayna and Sandy told him anything, something was there, but he had to find the way to use it and generate sales from it. The sales need not be large, he thought, but needed to be enough to cover the costs of the website and get at least a few bucks to the writers. At this point he was mostly thinking about the books online project being more a way to test the waters with a new author, leading to eventual printing, rather than reading on screen as an end in itself. However, he felt he had yet to reach the paradigm needed to make the whole package work. It was time to exchange a few ideas about it with Rob, who knew about parts of the business he did not.

It probably would have been possible for him to have dumped this trip. There really wasn't a great deal of actual business on his agenda at the office, although a few minutes discussion with Michelle and Dick would be worthwhile. About the only real item was Meghan Solari would be in town for a couple days, and there was a meeting and a luncheon date planned. It really was more social than business, although Meghan was an interesting person, and Dave always enjoyed spending a little time with her.

Get right down to it, the biggest reason for making this trip was the office Christmas social that had been the outgrowth of the bitch session at the big staff meeting the month before. This was not going to be an office party where people just busted out the bottles the last couple hours of the last day before the holiday; this was going to be a little more social, held at a nice restaurant, with spouses invited. Dave was really looking forward to it, as it would be the first chance since September to see some people he had worked with for years, a chance to firm up some friendships and do a little networking.

Aaron Tietelbaum's office was another necessary stop on the trip. In spite of the attention he'd been giving his book after the last New York trip, within a couple days of returning to Bradford, Dave had made copies of several critical financial documents Aaron had requested and sent them off to him. There had been a few phone calls since, a couple of times with Aaron requesting more information. The word Dave was hearing was Aaron thought things were in better shape than he'd expected. There was some paperwork and rearranging that really needed to be done before the first of the year, or else the tax bite was going to be larger than necessary. It could have been done by mail or something, but Dave felt the need to meet face to face with the accountant.

And, of course, there was Shae.

It had only been about ten days since he had seen her, and it seemed like a long time indeed. Each time they got together, he felt himself getting closer and closer to the tall woman. Indeed, about the only thing holding him back was the memory of and respect for Julie. It still just seemed too soon, although his wife was getting ever more distant in his life. Perhaps it was the living in Bradford, but the reality of the life they had shared, just a little less than three months before, seemed to be fading faster than he had expected, and he sometimes felt more than a little guilty about it.

The really awkward thing in his mind was that in some respects, he seemed to be fitting with Shae even better than he had with Julie. In spite of everything, Julie had been very career-driven, and there were times Dave had suspected that he and the boys were a little farther down her priority list than her work. She'd been perfectly willing to delegate a lot of the parenting to him, and he hadn't minded under the circumstances. But now, he wasn't quite so sure -- after watching Shae with the boys his doubts had arisen. Simply put, Shae spent a lot of time with them, and it was quality time -- playing and telling stories, to be sure, but working with them on their reading, listening to them, interacting with them -- things he had difficulty imagining Julie doing. It was no accusation of Julie, but a simple observation: Shae was more interested in motherhood than Julie had been at any time since the birth of their kids.

Once he'd reached that conclusion, more fell out. Shae simply was more outgoing than Julie had ever been. She had a better sense of humor and laughed and teased a lot more; she was more fun to be with. Shae was more active, more physical, and intellectually was more interested in ideas and art than Julie ever was, more like him. For as much as he'd loved his wife, she now seemed more self-centered than Shae, more conservative and set in her ways. She wanted what she wanted, and it was the only right thing in her mind, while Shae was more flexible, more willing to appreciate alternative viewpoints. For instance, Dave had trouble with the thought of Julie ever becoming friends with Eve, once Eve's past had become known, while Shae had been Eve's best friend. When you got right down to it, Julie had picked up one of her parents' less admirable traits: when her mind was made up, it was made up, and don't try to confuse her with the facts. And, of course, there was the common background he shared with Shae, the mutual friends -- things he had not shared with Julie.

But even with all that, he still loved the memory of his wife, and it seemed disloyal, at best, to be considering getting closer to Shae, at least right now. In a year, maybe ... but in his head it still seemed just too soon.

It was an issue he was going to have to deal with sooner or later.


Dave kicked off his Friday morning with an early appointment with Aaron Tietelbaum. He'd already known much of what the accountant had to tell him, and this session was mostly for signing papers and having a quick face-to-face about the progress he was making. As far as Aaron could tell at this point, Julie had managed to steer clear of tax trouble, although a couple places seemed a little shaky to him. His opinion was she must have had some sort of strategy to get through this year, but he didn't know what it was, and the trick had probably died with her. Dave was going to be taking a tax hit as a result, but it wouldn't be nearly as bad as it might have been. All the dust wouldn't settle even after the first of the year, though by then Dave should have a good idea of what his financial status really was -- but in any case he'd have more money than he could have imagined three months before.

The Dunlap and Fyre office was just as crowded and hectic as it had been a month ago -- worse, if anything. Dave had spent much of his drive to the city thinking about Rob's asking him about his thoughts about evaluating transom books online. As it turned out Rob was busy with appointments much of the day, and since this was mostly pipe dreaming, Dave decided there was no reason this couldn't go another month. Or, perhaps he could write a memo about what his thoughts were although they still seemed incomplete to him.

The meeting with Meghan came down late in the morning, after Dave had finished up the other little pieces of business he had around the office. At 11:00 he went into Dick's office with Michelle and a gal from publicity whose name he didn't know, although she seemed to know him. The meeting was to discuss details of the release of Dithyran's Probe, which was getting close. Meghan was running a little late -- she'd been on some interview show or other -- but was supposed to be right there.

"So, Dave," Michelle piped up, making conversation. "You looking forward to the party tonight?"

"Sure," he replied with a grin. "Normally I'm not too much of a party person, but it will be a good chance to see some people I haven't seen for a while."

"So, are you bringing a date?" she asked.

"No," he shook his head. "It's still too soon after Julie. I wouldn't feel right."

"Aw, nuts," Dick grinned. "I thought you might be bringing this mysterious friend of yours from Staten Island."

"We talked about it," Dave reported. "But we both pretty well agreed it wouldn't look right for the two of us to be out in public, even as just friends."

"Oh, come on, Dave," Michelle grinned. "Even Ronna Goldberg is bringing someone. This is just a social occasion among friends and co-workers, not a big social-climbing thing. You need to re-enter the real world a little."

"Yeah," Dick grinned. "This is just going to be among friends."

"I really sort of doubt it," Dave replied. "I somehow have the feeling this is going to be one of those things where you don't drink too much and watch your back carefully."

"What you're saying is your friend is a dog or something, and you really don't want to be seen in public with her," Michelle teased. "Come on, Dave, we're not going to bite."

Michelle may have been a friend and his supervisor, but her comment severely rubbed Dave the wrong way. "Well, if it's going to be that big a deal," he said with an edge in his voice, "Maybe I'd better reconsider."

"Come on, Dave, have a little fun," Dick said quickly, hearing the heightened emotion.

"Yeah," Dave smiled, trying to suppress an evil grin. "I think I will."

It wasn't until a little later that Dave was able to get a minute alone with his cell phone. Shae must have been on the set, because all he got was the voicemail prompt. "Shae," he left the message. "I've changed my mind about tonight. There are some people at the office who want to see you. They are apparently of the opinion that you don't exist, or you're a dog, or something." He took a deep breath, laughed, and continued, "Shae, knock their eyes out."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.